1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your accent?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Hexagon

What is your accent, and do you like it?

As for me, I've been unable to pinpoint my accent. Its kind of middle class british (not that I have the slightest shred of money), and I don't like it. I feel constantly out of place, and it simply highlights the fact that I don't belong with many of the people I find myself mixing with. I've considered changing it, and since I seem to spend more time hearing an american accent than a british one, maybe I'll take an american one.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My accent is "cultivated Australian", which sounds almost exactly like Queen's English. I don't particularly like it, but apparently a lot of people think it's nice: I've more than once had a room go quiet because people wanted to listen to my voice (all girls).

3. Femmeme

American Southern, I use words like y'all and call everyone Sugar, honey or darlin'.

I used to hate it, because a lot of people associate it with uneducated rednecks but over time I've grown to love it. I especially love that I don't fit the stereotypes associated with it, so I really get to screw with peoples' assumptions. That's just good fun.

4. LailaForbidden

I have a typical northern US, with a hint of the stereotypical Chicagoan accent. I have been told that people from up here emphasized their A's and O's more than other parts of the US. Honestly, I think I sound like most other Americans (except for the southern twang folks). Do I like it? I guess i'm indifferent about it. It's just how I talk.

5. Jared

Northern Californian, I use hella and stuff like that. Though I think I have a pretty standard American accent.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Northeastern US, though I sometimes put a Canadian ring on somethings without noticing it.

7. 4ever Hearth

Mix both of these and throw in some "Dudes", "Bruh", and "Nah" that should be me.

Eversince I turned like 18, anytime I am close to a female and I consider her like "little sister", I will start calling her Honey, Darlin, Boo or Sugah. :lol: I have no clue why but it's pretty fun and I like it.

Thats just as weird as when I read outloud when i'm alone, at some point, I start sounding like a terrified Irish woman. :lol:......I couldn't tell you why if I wanted.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's pretty close to SAE, best described as 'Californian'. Chances are, if you've been exposed to Hollywood or American news, you've probably heard it enough times to recognize easily; this is probably what most people think when they say 'American accent'. For me, it's more-or-less generic, but maybe foreigners think different? There's a huge difference between this and some of the more pronounced Southern, Midwestern, and Northeastern accents.

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Apparently I sound like someone from the east coast of the US, in spite of never having lived there. :/ Sometimes I slip into a more Western-style accent, which makes sense since I'm from Colorado.

10. FruitFly

My accent slips and slides depending on who I'm talking to and why. I think it's generally a North-West generic accent, a splash of Black Country dialect, and the odd word which reflects my time spent in south Wales and the South-East. I'd rather have a more consistent accent, without any of the Black Country bits. Not sure what accent though... one people understand and find less entertaining, meaning they stop asking me to "say that again".

#10 FruitFly, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  11. Dalmatian

As a non-native English speaker, I do agree that Californian English is what's generally seen as standard American. Although, don't you do that upward inflection at the end of every sentence? I hate that..

On topic, my English is heavy Slavic accent with bits of British (which I was thought in school) and a lot of American (which I got from American TV).

In my native language, I speak proper Croatian, which is actually not spoken naturally anywhere and to many sounds posh.

12. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. In the US I was consistently read as English, in England I was read as Canadian for some reason.

13. vyvance

Not really sure. I tried to make sure growing up I didn't have a heavy Texas accent, for reasons Femmeme stated, so its not that at least.

14. Hefiel

French Canadian accent I guess...

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  16. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have an accent. I've never really heard one in my voice.

17. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I'm not sure how big the region is which pertains to my accent but I live in the Pacific NW of the US. Using 'tuh' for 'the' is one difference I can think of...

18. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've a Californian accent... I say dude, bruh a lot.. When I try to sound Aussie it comes out British so I don't bother... Hate the fact that I've a different accent coz people keep telling me to say things and its getting kinda old

19. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I looked it up. Pacific Northwest English, spoken in parts of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, British Columbia, Western Montana, Western Alberta, southeastern Alaska, and Northern California.

The rest is kind of technical but here are some things I can confirm about myself:

• Mary, marry, and merry are pronounced the same.
    • Cot and caught are pronounced the same.
    • Pen and pin are pronounced the same.
    • Rang and rain are pronounced the same.
    • Egg and leg are pronounced the same.
    • 'Str' is pronounced 'shtr'.

I didn't recognize any of the Chinook Jargon we're supposed to use...oh well.

---------- Post added 24th Apr 2013 at 05:30 PM ----------

Until lingustic anthropology class I didn't know I had an accent and assumed my language was 'normal English' and everything else was 'not regular English'. White privilege and all. It turns out any language is actually a family of dialects.

20. BornInTexas

I have a very slight American southern accent. I like it, and I really hope it stays this way. It's so slight, that barely anyone notices, unless you are REALLY from out of town...like Canada.