1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ruthless? or just asking for intelligence?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeyAshley, Apr 25, 2013.

1. HeyAshley

my biggest pet peeve is when people can't spell words correctly, spell them out, using the wrong form of a word, "or typing lyk dis cuz dey 2 c00l." it literally drives me crazy. i don't want to call myself a grammar nazi because i hate capitalization.

anyway, i refuse to talk to someone who can't text / write properly. i was talking to this girl, she's completely awesome in person. we got along like you wouldn't believe, awesome chemistry, like we seriously have good times together. but when we were apart and texting or whatever - she drove me crazy. i just literally stopped talking to her because the entire time we were texting i just wanted to be like:
    [​IMG]

not that i'm interested in her any longer, i'm not pursuing anyone currently. but just for future advice - am i being over the top? like, i just literally stopped talking to someone i was starting to get feelings for over silly grammar. gah idk, i just can't do it. and i'm not talking about someone spelling things here and there incorrectly, nobody's perfect. but i can't stand when someone just literally has no idea what the difference between: there, their, they're is. or your/you're.

does this drive anyone else crazy? i'm sure nobody else has stopped pursuing someone over it. but is this normal?

2. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think its frustrating, because its hard to read and it seems like it takes more work to write like that than it does to just write it out normally. Especially now that most people arent paying for texts by the letter, why not spell it out. But I dont think it shows the intelligence of the other person. Certainly not something id end a relationship over... just tell her, hey I dont like texting. Call me instead. Something like that.
    Im pretty patient about peoples grammar and spelling because I am a terrible speller and even at 21 sometimes I just guess, or Im sure there are words i learned the wrong way and never was corrected on. Grammar doesnt bother me so much either because I know a lot of people who arent from english speaking countries originally. As long as I can understand someone it doesnt bother me, and even still, approach the situation like a teacher! Maybe you can help.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's totally me, but you have to know where to draw the line. In texts, I usually give people a break, because while I use perfect (as I can) spelling/grammar in regular writing and will crucify people for mistakes upon request :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, texts are usually as short as possible. If she does it all the time, that sucks, but it all comes down to how smart she actually is. If she's a genius philosopher who dabbles in engineering and cosmology on the side, I wouldn't get too hung up if she mixes up your and you're. :wink:

4. Hexagon

You may be being over the top yes, but your point is certainly valid. I think the whole practice of replacing words/letters with numbers kind of cheapens the value of the written word.

But you all know the worst thing of all, right? The very worst? The block of text without paragraphs and punctuation.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't get mad at people for that; I just don't read it.

[​IMG]

6. Hexagon

Same. But it sucks when you'd actually like to read it.

7. HeyAshley

THAT's what i mean! i like to text, i'm not going to hide it. i'm definitely a texter so grammar matters to me. not that we said "i love you." it wasn't serious but when we talked about it, she always spelled it "luv." and i'm over here like no? if i was actually in love with someone and they texted "i luv you." i probably just wouldn't respond.

8. Hexagon

Well sorry if I misinterpreted, but I would have thought that the reason behind not responding to the hypothetical text is because you don't consider it to have as much value/meaning as the correctly spelt "love".

9. HeyAshley

i responded during our conversations and when she spelt it like that. but yes that's what i mean. if i'm serious with someone and they spell it, "luv." i'm not going to respond because it's degrading the value of it.

10. catatonie

I think if you like someone in real life, disliking them because how they type is very arbitrary. Especially via text message. Presumably you already had a pretty good grasp on who she was and how intelligent she was or wasn't from interacting with her in the ~physical world~.
    It almost sounds like you were looking for a reason to stop liking her? Like you are trying to justify it? I don't know, it just seems like something that could be overlooked if you had feelings for a person.
    Anyway, I hope you find someone who has perfect grammar some day.

11. SFSorrow

To be honest, personally a lack of capitalization would annoy me just as much as any errors in grammar or spelling, and it seems somewhat hypocritical to complain about one and not the other.

12. HeyAshley

definitely wasn't looking for a reason. i mean in person she wasn't the smartest but she definitely isn't dumb by any stretch of the imagination. it's just something that drives me crazy. their grammar doesn't need to be "perfect." it just needs to be tolerable.

i agree with that, that's why i'm annoyed with myself sometimes for letting it go because mine isn't perfect so i don't have room to talk. i just think it's tacky when people can't type out their words.

13. BornInTexas

That's my biggest pet peeve. No punctuation, no paragaphs, incorrect grammar, and just a block of jumbled words? It looks more like a crossword puzzle that way. xD

14. Bryan90

Well we all have preferences in our mates, and I guess your preference is that they have a decent sense of grammar.

Then again though, you can always teach them and if they refuse to learn, that's a whole new story altogether.

Even though I'm impressed by good grammar, I seldom get too disturbed by the common mistakes that you've pointed out. To me, language is a form of communication and since I actually get the message, then I would say that it was effectively delivered. LOL.

15. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to say it, but I would find someone a lot less attractive if they had horrible grammar. Intelligence is something that sparks my attention in a positive way. And I definitely agree about the spelling of "luv". Spelling it that way, to me, diminishes the value of the meaning behind it.

My opinion may seem a little harsh, but it's just a preference.

16. HeyAshley

it's not harsh at all, i'm glad someone pretty much agrees with me. :eusa_clap

17. photoguy93

Can I play Devil's Advocate? You didn't capitalize a single word. Now, that's not as big of a deal, but if you're going to be really into spelling them worry about the whole picture?

I agree, though, 100 percent with you. I cannot stand people making spelling mistakes or obvious grammar mistakes. However, it's part of the world. I work with some great people....who just can't figure out that one does not say "I says to my friend" or "I ain't doing that again!"

Personally, if it was JUST over texting, I would be against ending it. However, it is your decision. You can have your life and you like what you like!

18. BornInTexas

I say "I ain't doing that again!" or something along those lines ...hourly.

19. HeyAshley

if you read the last sentence of the 1st paragraph, you'll see where i said i hate capitalization. and i've mentioned in this thread that it almost doesn't seem right that i'm hating on spelling/grammar because i just hate using capitalization. so it's completely unfair that i'm being this way, but.... there's a difference between not using capitalization and typing like a full-blown idiot.

20. Devious Kitty

To me the point of texting over a phone is quick communication. Thus if someone is doing some sort of quick text-speak, as long as I can understand it, it doesn't really bother me. Similarly, poor grammar doesn't tend to bother me too much in places like IRC chats either (although admittedly my preferred standard is a bit higher.)

On forums and blogs I tend to like good grammar and spelling (so yes, this would include capitalization.) It doesn't need to be perfect grammar; after-all, my grammar certainly isn't perfect. However, I feel the point of forum posts is more along the lines of clear communication and an exchange of ideas. Grammar and spelling are important to that, as well are decent paragraphing and being able to articulate your ideas clearly i.e. rhetoric.