1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't believe my brother said this.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yesterday, I was speaking to my elder brother (he's 17), and the conversation turned to the role of women in the workplace. My brother said that women are less suited to work, and should follow the laws of nature and stay at home. He also laughs at men with feminine characteristics, the biggest crime a man can commit is "being a girl" in his eyes, and he disrespects our aunts (who are far more successful than my uncles), but reveres our uncles. He also has no female friends, and the people he complains about are all women. I think he hates women, which makes it difficult for me as a fervent feminist. Also, the day before, I was visiting a working class friend, and I got my brother to pick me up. He spent the time driving through the working class suburb laughing at how "pathetic" the houses are (for being smaller and less attractive than the ones in our well-to-do neighbourhood). What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

2. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'dd ask him howw he would feel if he himself was a woman living in the smaller house if he woulld feel the same and why he is looking down on the working class when its his parents and not him that could afford to live "better".How will he feel if when he is on his own and all he can afford is a small apartment and his boss is a woman?

3. Hefiel

Not entirely unusual. He's young and stupid.

Normally I'd say to challenge him, but given your age and the fact that I assume you're not out to your family yet, it doesn't seem like the best solution.

I'd suggest just ignoring the behavior or at least not taking part of it (regardless of whether it is in opposition or not). Your chances of changing the mind of someone like that are fairly slim (if even existent), he'll have to realize his mistakes by himself and grow out of it.

4. cita

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    when did nature decide on this, two days ago?

your brother definitely has a long way to go. he sounds like he's not going to be a relevant person in his later years; i don't know how a woman would want him for anything but a price tag. though, the possibility arises from this intense magical hatred of women that he is also one of them gun cleaners like us. sorry.

in your situation, i'd probably sit still and wait for him to join the military or college and be done with dis bych. then be a total dick and come out to him while he's away (don't)

#4 cita, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. BornInTexas

Ignore him. Do what Hefeil said. You're not going to change the mind of a very close-minded teenager on such grounds until he matures and learns that his ignorance isn't even logical. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, time will sort out his "aristocratic" attitude towards smaller houses, ESPECIALLY if he ends up living in one. But for his hatred of women? Have you asked him why he feels they are lower? And similarly, why would a man with feminine characteristics be worthy of scorn? You'd be surprised at how quickly his opinions crumble when he's asked to justify them.

7. redstormrising

then i sure hope your brother plans on getting a good job so he can be the sole breadwinner when he starts a family.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gee, I wonder why?:eusa_doh:

9. What a shit-head.

10. If he said this in the early 1900s, it would be just fine...
    I can imagine a lonely life for him.

11. Naren

Yeah, that

12. Hexagon

Kick him in the balls? Thats a vulnerability women don't have.

13. MixedNutz

No offense but he sounds like a real winner. (Sarcastic tone)

14. hiddenxrainbows

There's probably nothing you can do about it, unfortunately. You could try debating this with him, but it'll probably just turn into an argument, and trying to talkto people like that that are so ignorant and adamant about their beliefs is like talking to a wall... >_>

He sounds like someone I used to work with tho. This new guy started at my work a while ago, but ended up quitting after a week or two. Anytime he would ask someone for help or ask what to do, he'd ask a guy on our shift. He wouldn't ask our boss, who is a woman. He wouldn't even talk to her unless he absolutely had to. And then I found out that the reason he quit was because he didn't want to work for a woman. Idiot...

Granted, that guy was a lot older. He won't grow out of that. But hopefully your brother will.