1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay a choice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Do you think we chose to be gay? Can we change to hetero?

2. DanD

nope to both

3. Alexander69

Idk I'm so stressed..... Wgat if there is a hell? I've gone as far as to start reading the bible again and asked for salvation for my sinful thoughts..... I'm so stressed

4. RebelD

No, I don't think it is a choice. The Bible talks about a God of love. It preaches acceptance and not to judge. I don't know if there is a god, but if there is one, I believe that he would love us either way.

5. Hexagon

I don't think being gay is a choice, no, but what is more important is recognising that it wouldn't matter if it were a choice, because its not a bad thing.

Let me just ask you one question: does being gay hurt anyone? does it restrict the rights or freedoms of anyone else?

The answer to that, as far as I know, is no. So if god turns out to be real, and turns out to be benevolent and just, won't you be judged to have caused no harm?

6. Being gay was definitely a choice to me, but I think I'm an exception. And don't worry about hell - you only live once. Do what you want to do, worry about the consequences later. It's 60 years until you start having to worry about that.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want tho console yourself religiously, I will recommend reading the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7). But realistically, think for yourself. The Bible may be spiritually worthwhile, but I'm sure you can think for yourself. Cheer up, being gay won't condemn you to hell. You're not hurting anyone, and I'm sure you're a nice guy. I think all of us gay Christians feel down from time to time over this. Remember that all us at EC are here for you.(*hug*) Don't get yourself down.

8. Harve

But you also seem to have implied that you're celibate/asexual?

9. Alexander69

I wa just reading Leviticus and it says a lot of things that are punishable by death..... Interesting no one takes that seriously ooooo there is a big word in " if man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an "abomination"; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them." How nice

10. Hexagon

Leviticus also prescribes the death penalty for eating shellfish and pigs. And for wearing two different fabrics at the same time. Its best to ignore Leviticus. Furthermore, its widely believed by those who analysed this that it is a mistranslation, that it relates to the activities of some male priests in a pagan religion that seemed rather threatening to the writers of that book.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the same section it also says that mixing foods, mixing fabrics, and various other things are also punishable by death.

Did you read my post in the other thread? Go listen to Matthew Vines NOW. And get this silly stuff out of your head, Alexander. You know full well you can't make yourself straight. Don't even go there.

12. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    im sorry i dont want to be rude, but i just have to ask how was it a choice? you choose to get erections and feel an attraction for men?!?! sexualtiy i believe is a pyshical reaaction , its like someone once said if its a choice why did i get an erection when i see naked men.

a choice is when you say should i eat pancakes or french toast , we dont chose how we are going feel about something we never really know how we are gonna feel about something until it happens. Im sorry if this sound rude but its just really confusing to me when a gay person says they chose to be that way , espeacially given all the shit we get from straight people.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander, in most Christian churches, the Old Testament is not taken as law. What church do you belong to? I'm not going to preach, but if you belong to a hostile church, it might be time to move to a more accepting one.

14. Alexander69

So doesn't that mean we can be straight is we try and try harder? If the right person came along? I just don't want to goto hell. Is it sin to have thoughts but not to act upon temptation? To have relations with women but not have the same sexual feelings isn't that then a lie and there for a sin? Would god be happy with me not falling into temptation and then grant me salvation for not falling in to temptation? He knows I have a true heart I just don't want to have my heart hardened to the things of The Lord. I want to accept The Lord into my life if he would have me. Someone pointed out that we are all gods creation but we are not all gods children. I dont want The Lord to deny me entrance into heaven. What if we can chose to be gay? What if it is a test to see if we are worthy of gods love? I'm so stressed I have family always talk about eternal damnation for gay people and It kills me inside every time they say it.

#14 Alexander69, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander, don't let your parents bully you through religion. God does not give a large section of society a form of love and attraction in order to punish them. If you believe in God, you must consider him to have created you as you are. Don't allow your parents or priest to scare you into living a lie. Keep your chin up, and you show them you're just as worthy as any other man.(*hug*) I've gone through a similar phase, presumably earlier than you, where I doubted my faith's compatibility with my nature, but in the end, I kept both. Please don't get yourself down, it'll only show them that they've won. And no, you can't change. That you're struggling proves that. Don't believe anyone ignorant of sexuality, it will only confuse you.

#15 Aussie792, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  16. Hexagon

No, people have tried to be straight for thousands of years and it hasn't worked. It just leads to depression and suicide.

I think what the core of the problem is is this idea of 'sin'. I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that the only bad thing someone can do is something that harms or restricts the freedoms of others. I ask again, who does being gay hurt? If your deity wants to torture someone for eternity for doing something - choice or not (and it isn't a choice) - that hurts precisely no one, then I wouldn't consider that deity to be benevolent or worthy of worship. I say this not to insult your god, but to point out that if you believe he is benevolent, then he won't condemn you to hell for being gay.

It is your family who need to change, not you. You aren't the one advocating eternal torture for people who've none nothing to hurt anyone.

17. Alexander69

I know what you are saying I'm just so so so scared....... Of an eternal damnation........ I'm not scared I'm terrified. Yes god does love all his children but not everyone are his children as you can see here we are all his creation but only born again Christians are his children in which he gives passage to heaven Are we all God's children, or only Christians?

18. Hexagon

If you believe god created humans and the earth, then surely he must have created all humans, not just christians? Who else could have made the rest?

19. Alexander69

No he did we are all his creations we are not all his children though only born again Christians.

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander, I understand your fear completely. But many churches, many Christians, and many people of varying faiths don't like what they don't understand, and being gay is one of those things. Be gay, be moral, be kind, follow the love and respect for fellow humans, and you are not disobeying Christ; you are following his example by not lying, and living a full and generous life. Don't beat yourself up over your nature; you're worth more than that.