1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Clinton and the GLAAD Award

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just cant understand why they would give him an award, he just now came out last month saying he supports marriage equality ,and he is the one who signed DOMA into law, i mean isnt the purpose of an award like this to show thanks for someone who has a been fighting for gay rights for years and been a true rolde model for the LGBT Community? I mean its a little bit like someone picking on you and paying people to beat you up for years on end and then all of a sudden saying hmm maybe i should i have been nicer to you, you were never harming me. you are not going praise him to the skys and put a crown on his head are you?

I mean surley there are other people more deserving , id rather see Kathy Griffin or Tim Gun or heck even Madonna at least those people have been active for gay rights for a long time. But dont get me wrong i like Bill and im so glad he is supporting us now, i just dont hink he deserves an award for it.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're political pawns in the game of appearing more charitable. Quite frankly, I'm disappointed, but in the space of almost twenty years, Clinton may genuinely be in favour of our rights. And there are far more deserving people for that, I agree.

3. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a matter of principle, I despise GLAAD. They are nothing more than media whores at this point.

Clinton signed Don't Ask, Don't Tell into law in 1993 and signed DOMA into law in 1996. For younger gay people it's hard for them to imagine that even in the 90s it wasn't totally cool and acceptable to be gay. We were still dealing with people thinking all those nasty stereotypes about us: gay men hang out in saunas and dirty bathrooms looking for sex, lesbians are butchy lumberjacks who hate men, and so on. Even the Democrats were against us back then. It would have been career suicide for Clinton to stand up back then. He would have faced an impeachment even then, before the Monica thing.

Maybe Bill has truly changed his ways now. The social and political climate has changed tremendously since he left office in 2000 and he may fully well love and support us for the people we are, but it's hard to forget what he did back then. Still, I don't begrudge the man. He did what he had to and is now trying to make amends.

I would have much rather seen someone like Anderson Cooper win the award, but hey, it's just an award, it's not like it really means anything. Who will even remember who won what a few years from now?