1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who can drive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Can you drive (legally)?

1. Yes

69.9%
  2. No

20.4%
  3. I'm learning

9.7%
  1. Hexagon

I'm just learning. Following an accident on my moped, I was really scared of being in control of a vehicle for about a year, but I'm apparently really good, according to my driving instructor, and I'm not nearly so scared any more.

2. Bolin

I've been driving since I was 17. And yeah, accidents are really scary (I got into one about 2 or 3 years ago. Just a little fender bender). I think most people are a little scared for some time afterwards, at least a little bit more paranoid, but you get over it eventually. :slight_smile:

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been driving on and off since I was 15. I have road anxiety and I haven't driven in quite a few months.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I got my driver's license one summer break a few years ago. I never really liked driving, though, since I bike and walk and take public transportation a lot, and that's just fine for me, so I haven't driven since the day of my driving exam. I pretty much just have my license for the sake of having it. I'm not even insured to drive because I learned by practicing with my parents, rather than by taking classes, so the cost to insure me would be really high (or so my parents say).

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I'm in basically the same situation. I also don't even have a car.

6. DanD

I've had my drivers licence since I was 17 - all lessons paid for by me.
    I'm not sure why, but in my first year on the road I had no less than 17 accidents.

These days I cycle everywhere, but I'm sure I could give the likes of Jensen Button or Michael Schumacher a run for their money - in my dreams, lol.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having gotten two photo radar tickets this month, I've downgraded my vote to "I'm learning".

Got into an accident Super Bowl Sunday 2008. I was sitting at a red light, drunk guy barreled into me, totaled my car...and he backed up and drove off. Only very minor injuries - I bumped my head on the sun visor, and some mild soreness in my arms. Fortunately, they caught the guy a mile later. Unfortunately, they dropped all charges against him.

Lex

8. The Dude

I've failed the drivers test 4 times....only one was I fairly failed. They were filling out quotas with the other three.

I hate the DMV. Hell on Earth.

9. Xochipilli

I didn't start driving until I was 19. I was afraid of traffic lights. Seriously.
    I'd say I'm a decent driver now.
    I still rather have someone else drive. :grin:

10. FunnyMonkey

I was always afraid of driving with my lack of attention span, but now that I have to it's okay, but I still don't like it. I wouldn't even say I'm a good driver just a lucky one.

11. timo

I've had my licence since 18 - the legal driving age here. I've been a car freak my entire youth so finally being able to drive myself was amazing. And 5 years later I still love to drive. Going out for a random drive, or take the long road home from work instead of the boring highway, that kind of stuff.

Now I only need to buy an other car, the one I have now looks great and I love it, but technically it's a piece of junk.

12. Harve

Nope. I've got better things to spend money on. And since I'm in a city now, I don't really need to. Driving here must be one of most frustrating things ever because an average journey seems to spend more time stationary than moving.

13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Nope, 19 and can't yet...I was supposed to get it at 16...lazy, I know...

14. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can. I'm 28 and have had my license since 16. I took driver's ed courses offered at my old high school on weekends, and then did a weekend of required training with the DMV before taking the exam the following Monday after school.

I live in a small college town in the south and believe it or not public transportation just isn't a thing here. You either drive or live on or near the campus and walk to what's available in the downtown area. Driving is a necessity here, pretty much. Which is fine by me since I like to drive and I'm a car person.

15. GayJay

I voted yes then saw it said legally :/
    I have been taught to drive by a friend, but i'm only as good as him and couldn't say i was actually doing everything right.
    I don't have the money to pay for my provisional licence or tests though, then i wouldn't be able to afford a car so i see no point

16. FJ Cruiser

I didn't get my license on my 16th birthday, but I did later that year. The city where I grew up is so car dependent that your freedoms are majorly limited without one. Now I drive my car a couple times a week mostly for leisure activities and maybe the occasional grocery store run since it's generally quicker than the bus.

17. photoguy93

I think it's important that every single person is able to drive and has a license. It's a fact of life! Should everyone drive? No. I just think people need to know (ok, I'll add...if they can.)

18. Jared

Been driving legally since I turned 16, my high school was 20 miles away and there was no bus so my parents wanted me to be albe to drive myself. I learned how to drive en I was 9/10, one of the advantages of growing up on a farm, in a stick shift Jeep Wrangler. Growing up in a rural area makes a car much more of a necessity than a luxury. Everyone in my high school who was old enough had a drivers license and either their own car or access to a car.

19. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I didn't start driving until I was 30.:eek: But that was because most places I lived you walked or took the bus. I tried for my license a few times when I was 16 and 20, but failed both so didn't really bother.

But at 30 I had no choice, so had to do a crash course. lol. four months later I got into a accident, and totalled both cars.:icon_sad:
    What was bad was that my insurance had just expired the day before, and I didn't realize it. :eusa_doh: But after a few months of super vigilance, I learned to love driving. The past six months I have not been due to not having a vehicle. But once I get one. I will love the freedom it brings.:icon_bigg

20. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Passed when I was 18, but havnt driven once for about 2 years. Its way too expensive to have a car.