1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians: Do you identify?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

A question for all the lesies: Do you identify as butch, femme, tomboy etc? I've noticed that more of the older women identify in this way, where as the 30 somethings and younger tend not to bother, and also tend not to maintain a particular stereotype either.

Do you specifically identify as a type of lesbian?

Personally I don't. I have qualities that could be associated with pretty much every stereodyke catagory and I've massively leaned towards each of the stereotypes at some point in my life, even though I had no idea I was even gay at the time. I just consider myself as just that, myself. I have long hair, I like wearing jeans and DMs and sometimes I like to look girly.

2. Femmeme

I'm 30 something, but just accepting/coming out. I identify as a femme, because my gender expression was one of the major things that kept me in denial for so long. The idea that all lesbians were butch/manly was considered a matter of fact in the time and area I grew up in. Even to this day girls hear that they're to pretty/girly to be gay, we get threads about it here fairly regularly, so to me it's important to claim and proclaim the identity of Femme. By doing so I hope to keep other people from falling into the denial trap I lived in for so long.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 07:03 PM ----------

Oh, and I really don't do anything specificly to maintain the stereotype. I wore dresses/skirts exclusively and high heels and lipstick and lace wayyy before I figured out that there was a name for what I am.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm about 70% fem and 30% masculine. I love dressing up and wearing cute clothes, yet I still like to play sports and do things a typical "girly girl" wouldn't. So I guess I identify myself as a hard fem.

4. kraftykrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't feel like I fit into a category... I guess I'm a tomboy/femme. I was called goth in school, but I just like to say I'm me. I know that wasn't a choice, but I'm not girly. I'm into femme girls, but with a tomboy side. It's hard to find those girls haha. (!)

5. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    I'm definitely femme. I love dresses and makeup! People tend to be surprised when they find out I'm gay because I don't look like the stereotypical lesbian.

6. I'm not sure. I'm not butch, but I'm not really femme either. I guess I'm somewhere between tomboy and femme, but slightly closer to tomboy.

7. Nyanko

Definitely femme, but I do have a huge tomboy side that always pops out and I'm perfectly okay with that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Eliza

Eliza Guest

When I've lived in places where the butch/femme dynamic was really important, I usually got pigeonholed into "butch."

I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand, I want to claim the term because I feel like butches are disappearing, and I suspect that's partly because people are so squicked out by masculine women. I want to own the hell out my butchness.

On the other hand, I feel like the term "butch" is defined by its opposite, "femme," and I'm not particular to femmes and most of them say I'm "not butch enough" for them anyway. I positively adore all kinds of lesbians. My partner is manlier than I am and I love it (apparently the term for that is "fag?" I think?).

So, depending on who I'm around, I'll loosely identify as a fag butch, a boi, or an androgynous type.

#8 Eliza, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013
  9. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess I would be more femme. I love shoes and purses. And, I generally dress rather girly...although, you seriously couldn't pay me enough to get me into a dress or skirt, and I could care less about make up or hair. But, I do the girly tops, dress pants...LOVE ME some heels. And I have a very COACH specific obsession when it comes to my purses. :slight_smile:

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None of the categories fit me. I'm generally pretty invisible.

11. RedLight

I personally don't identify as any of them because I don't like labels. But if I had to fit into a box (no pun intended) I guess I would be a femme. However I do have qualities that pertain to the other steriodykes.

12. MancGal90

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a tomboy, i love trackies, trainers and hoodies, but i do wear girly tops and leggings if the weather is nice, i wear a minimal amount of make up (to hide my spots) I act like a guy nearly all the time, if it wasn't for my hair and the fact my boobs are noticable in some tops, most people would think i'm a guy

13. evora

I don't identify as anything, partly because I have no idea what label would apply to me. I don't act in a masculine way but I don't dress very girly either. (Although, that might be because I have literally no money...)
    All I know is, I definitely look like a girl and most people would probably never guess I'm gay, even if on some days I'm sure every stranger I walk past can tell.
    I have no idea what I am but I know I'm attracted to women who look and move/walk kind of like a boy would and wear no make up.

14. ems

ems

couldn't have put it better myself !!!!

15. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

ditto , I don't see why label's matter so much I am just myself sometimes I want to dress butch , other times I appear more girly , I have long hair but wear men's deodorant and no make up , hate sports but also shopping. Sometimes I wear flannel and beanie hats , other times I wear girlier tops.

16. FruitFly

I guess I view femme/butch/other such labels as being based on personality/attitude rather than clothing choices. At least that's how I've applied this form of label to myself, which sees me identifying myself as someone who enjoys the femme look but is not necessarily femme. My personality is not the kind I associate with being femme, and my preference for typically feminine attire is just a preference for typically feminine attire, so I tend to view myself as being quasi-femme.

I must admit it is quite nice to identify as femme at times, especially when it comes to certain social groups catering for femme queer women. It sounds silly, and I know it is silly, but despite the prevalence of self identified femmes on the internet every social group I have ever been to has been primarily composed of self identified butch/androgynous women who find it difficult to believe anyone who dresses like a stereotypical girl is actually queer, so I end up gravitating towards groups set up for femmes so I can stop feeling like such an outsider :lol:.

In terms of appearance I guess I maintain the femme stereotype in so far as wearing typically feminine attire, and possibly in terms of my preferences in relationships.

17. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Tomboy. I love mens clothes but i still wear make-up and have never identified as butch. I call myself an androgyne

18. I'll give you three guesses :slight_smile:

Also, I don't really have a type.

19. Mysz

Hmm..... 1: Femme? 2. Femme? 3. Femme? :grin:
    Just my little guess.

I'm just who I am, though I'd fit more into the femme group- I'd wear dresses in every season if I could. Not much for makeup though. Labels might be considered stereotyping and excessive, but personally I find them rather convenient. :icon_wink

20. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I'm just me. That's it.