1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to 'bisexual' and accusations of special snowflaking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, Apr 26, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

For multisexual folks who identify as something other than 'bisexual' (or multiromantics), what do you identify as? Do you identify/affiliate as bisexual in some cases or do you completely reject 'bisexual'?

And what do you do when someone accuses you of being a special snowflake? When bisexuals accuse you of special snowflaking yourself? How would you explain to someone that your identity is just as valid as 'bisexual'?

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Pansexual works pretty well. Fits me pretty well but I'm okay with bi. It's just labels, you know?

And if they do, tell them to look it up/Google it. Works for me anyway. :wink:

3. LailaForbidden

I shouldn't be surprise that this happens, but it still makes me mad. After all the biphobic shit we get for "just wanting attention" and "faking"... and we turn around and do it to others? WTF is wrong with people? :bang:

To answer your question, I also identify as queer. I haven't come out yet, so I haven't gotten any crap for it, but we'll see.

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am me. Who the hell knows precisely what that means, but it is the case. And I suppose I reject this notion of "special snowflakes" as being a deviation from what some (whoever these people are that you have alluded to) are apparently claiming to be a "necessary norm." I don't know much of the people making this accusation, but whether they like it or realize it or not, we're all "special snowflakes." Every person is different, even if slightly so. So...take that, snowflake-metaphor liking people... :lol:

In regards to conforming to a specific societal label, I try to avoid them entirely. I can explain my feelings toward any given gender or sex and let people label as they wish, but it doesn't matter much to me on a personal front (what others may think). I like who and what I like and will see where that goes, moving forward.

#4 Browncoat, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

No other responses? :frowning2:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you pick a word that refers to a multisexuality and isn't "bisexual," people have a lot of difficulty processing that. They don't know what it means. I like to pick queer, because people know what that means.

But then again, I'm a special snowflake.

7. jargon

I've never heard "special snowflaking" used as a verb before, but now that I have I love it and think everyone should probably get on special snowflaking themselves a little more.

8. Eatthechildren

i use several words to describe my sexuality:
    bisexual
    pansexual
    ambisexual
    queer

9. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's snow flaking? I'm bi and haven't really met others who are (minus the hookups) and my mates in the US are the only ones who I'm out too so never had the problem

10. Mogget

Well, I identify as panromantic, but I'm not out to most people in real life as panromantic. I take the view that saying my romantic and sexual orientations aren't a perfect match already snowflakes me, and panromantic is more euphonious than biromantic.

11. Hexagon

The most accurate description of my sexuality is probably gray-A pansexual panromantic, but I very rarely say that. Among groups who are likely to know what pansexual means, aka transpeople and groups that specifically focus on sexuality (as opposed to just groups of queer people), I say I'm pansexual. Elsewhere, I say bisexual. To be honest, most people seem to have a hard enough time understanding the existence of bisexuality, I'm not going to further confuse them.

12. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Sounds good. :grin:

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2013 at 02:50 AM ----------

It's a fact that each snow flake has a unique design. To be a special snowflake means you're annoyingly trying to make yourself unique/weird for the purpose of attention and needlessly considering yourself more special/awesome than others.

13. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand the difference between the terms.

Bisexual meaning.. attracted to both males and females. Got that one.

Pansexual meaning.. attracted to males, females, and any intersex combo?

Multisexual meaning... attracted to anything with no regards to gender?

I am actually curious because I have some friends that are big into gender identity stuff and I can't keep up with the terms they throw around.

14. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

The definitions vary person to person but here's what I can gather as the common denominator...

Bisexual or polysexual: attracted to 2+ genders
    Pansexual or omnisexual: attracted to all genders
    Multisexual: I haven't read about anyone who identified as such. I just use it as an umbrella term to reference people who aren't monosexual (hetero/homosexual) nor asexual.

There are other terms, but I'm less familiar with those.

The infamous split is bisexual vs. pansexual. Here's an article about some similarities and differences between the two identities.

#14 stuffiscool, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  15. Eatthechildren

Multisexual: Attraction to more than one gender
    Bisexual: Attraction to your own gender, and others
    Pansexual: Attraction to all genders