1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prenups

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, Apr 27, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

I was just reading an article about prenups and it got me to thinking whether it was something I would do were I ever to get married (and were it ever to be legal in my country)

Of course, I don't know if I'll ever have any decent amount money so I don't know if I'll have anything to lose. But in a scenario where I found myself engaged and had relatively substantial savings, I still don't think I would want one. I think it shows that you don't have much faith in the relationship. That being said, I would definitely want one if my partner had a significant amount of money, I wouldn't want to be looked at as some sort of gold digger.

What do you think of them?

2. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prenups are a life saver. Even the best relationships ever can turn really ugly once marriage comes into play. My uncle tried to do a prenup, but was talked out of it by his then girlfriend. She fed him this line of "oh, we have true love! It will last forever!". After they got married she quickly quit her job and expected to be taken care of. All she did was sit at home watching tv, gain a ton of weight, and bitch about how he wasn't trying hard enough. After 4 years of working 2 jobs he got fed up and divorced her. She was friends with a lawyer, so she ended up taking him to the cleaners. He wouldn't have lost almost everything he owned to that leaching witch had he just enforced the prenup. I'm never getting married without having one signed.

3. Hitch

I've heard to many horror stories of people having everything taken from them and paying tons in alimony. I will never not do a prenup. Shoot, i may just stay single.

4. catatonie

I'd take it a step further and just never get married.

5. Zontar

Prenups can be invaluable. There really is no reason not to have one, except for BS emotional reasons, and that's the unfortunate part of it.

The important part of getting your spouse to agree to a prenup is emphasizing that the agreement protects them as well as it protects you, because it does. You wouldn't eschew life insurance on the pretense that a catastrophe wouldn't kill you and leave your family out to dry; there's little reason to operate on the pretense that circumstances will change, and you won't break up with your spouse.

6. Gen

Gen

Well on the chance that I become the next billion dollar author( Just throwing that out there. Hopefully, fate catches on...), I suppose there is a chance I would look to a contract such as those, but I wouldnt say anything is set in stone. The biggest thing about starting relationships with large amounts of wealth swimming around is to take it slow and make sure that the person you are with is really the person that you want to be with.

No matter how much I love him, I wont marry him after only a year. We will need to be together for a substantial amount of time before we even begin to pursue something like that. There's no rush. Take a year to get to know each other. Next year, move in with one another. Maybe next year, buy a nice house and car.

There seems to be this idea of "Wow, you're amazing. Lets get married and make drastic and stressful changes to our lifes after". No. Make the changes, then once you have overcome them all, decide if you still love each other. Why randomly gamble on an answer, when you could figure out how to do the problem if you just took your time?

7. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That works for me.

8. JPC

JPC Guest

Alimony is a concept that really is mind boggling to me, I can't understand why someone should be expected to fund their former spouse's lifestyle.

9. TSN2012

Same.

10. catatonie

The purpose was to compensate for the partner who may have given up education and career opportunities to make home and raise children.

Whether it still serves that purpose in most cases is debatable.

11. Hexagon

I hadn't heard of them before reading this post. I researched them, so don't bother explaining what they are :slight_smile:. It seems to me that they are a very useful thing, but one that puts strain on a relationship. Perhaps they should be signed as a prerequisite for the marriage to be legally recognised. It seems as if the government could save money by not having to fund so much legal aid for divorcees, and arrangements could be made in case of divorce without hurting the relationship.

However, I agree with a number of people who have posted: Staying single sounds preferable. I don't even agree with the concept of marriage in the first place.