1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy Scouts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KingdomKeyDK, Apr 27, 2013.

1. KingdomKeyDK

I've got a problem. :help: I am in the BSA, but I am bi (I think). Once I do come out, what will I do? Should I not tell the BSA, because if I do, I will get kicked out. I like the morals they teach, but it seems they don't like to follow them. :dry: :icon_sad:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

If I were you, I'd hold off on coming out to them. If you're in danger of being kicked out or otherwise ostracized, then don't do it if you're not in a position where you feel safe or comfortable coming out. Hopefully the BSA will reverse their policies and when they do, you'll be able to come out without a problem, but play it safe and be careful. I'm not fond of the BSA myself but it's whatever you feel it right.

3. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry you're having to go through this hun. No one your age should have to make this kind of decision. :frowning2: You need a (*hug*). Sadly there are going to be times when the world is going to demand you stay closeted to do something you enjoy. It's stupid and not fair to ostracize us like we're lower class humans. My advice is to be true to yourself. Always remember this though; it does not mean you are less deserving than any of the straight kids who are in scouts if they ban you for being bi. They are the ones with the problem, not you. We're here for you no matter what decision you decide to make. :slight_smile:

4. Hexagon

Its up to you. If you are a member of an organisation that is opposed to your rights, then perhaps its not something you'd want to be part of anyway.

5. KingdomKeyDK

Thanks for your opinion, and I agree also with littlememphis. I will be the best (straight) person I can be

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Let me emphasis though that trying to find an LGBT support group would be a good idea. You have EC, which'll work, but if at all possible, see about joining your school's GSA or just asking around. Be out somewhere where you'll be accepted and prepare for the day when you're ready to come out to everyone.

7. KingdomKeyDK

ok, i'll try thx

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind... you may not have to keep this a secret much longer. They're talking about lifting the ban pretty soon.

9. Incognito10

You could wait and see what happens with the decision they're about to make. Or you could take a stand for yourself and come out to demonstrate you don't agree with having to lie about who you are.

10. KingdomKeyDK

Thanks for the info Chip. I'll keep that in mind

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well don't come out now. From what I've heard, BSA is likely to lift the ban on gay scouts soon, although they will probably maintain the ban on gay scoutmasters, so it's still a clearly anti-gay organization. It's up to you whether you want to continue to be a part of it, but don't let them make the decision for you.