1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California is warm????????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Apr 27, 2013.

1. I actually wonder why many non-Californians think it's very warm and sunny in Cali all the time. SoCal does have sunny weather, but that's only from April to Early October. As a SoCal citizen living in Los Angeles County, the weather is kinda unpredictable in the Late Fall to Early Spring. It could be sunny and cool one day, to gloomy and windy, to a storm and cold. We also can get frost as well. Then the heat starts to kick in by late April. NorCal on the other hand is pretty rainy in all of Winter and Spring, and Foggy and Breezy in Summer.

I just want to know, why is California generalized as very warm?

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well we ARE living in the Sunshine State... xD

My sister lives in the Midwest and compared to where she is it's like the frickin desert here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of your state sure is warm.

Ugh, start the suffocation as far as I'm concerned.

Btw, here in Western Montana, and even more so back when I lived in the Eastern Montana/North Dakota area, there is no such thing as a cold day in NorCal. So relatively speaking, one could claim it's always warm in Cali :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

------------------------
    Edit: Actually now after I put that LA link up, I went and checked San Fran and you guys are having 70 and 80 degree highs! What the heck guys? What happened to the tempered climate?

:lol:

#3 Browncoat, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. catatonie

I've spent a lot of time in the North and a little less time in the South and yeah
    It's still pretty warm. I think the coldest it got when I was living in n. cal, near the coast in the winter, was around 2 °C.

Compare that to Montreal where it average something like -10° in the winter.

California has pretty diverse climates but over all, it's a warm place.

5. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

Lol, you don't know what cold gloomy weather is. Or what unpredictable weather is with up and down temperatures each day (sometimes a 30 degree difference).

6. Emberstone

the same reason people assume oregon is non-stop rain.

7. Really? I remember summers in the Silicon Valley being punishingly hot growing up.

#7 Cassindra Starlight, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
  8. AKTodd

As you're already seeing on the thread 'warm' and 'cold' are subjective terms.

I grew up in Alaska and the winters in my area normally ranged from -10F to +10F but it was common for temperatures to drop as low as 40 below zero for weeks at a time and then we might get a few days of +40 and everyone was talking about how hot it was and running around with no hats and their jackets open (and we lived in one of the warmer parts of the state). My mom still considers 70 degrees to be blistering hot. So by Alaska standards, California is pretty warm almost everywhere.

I went to college in Tucson (Go Wildcats!) and 100+ was considered a normal summer day. Although we actually got snow in the winter a couple times when I was there (it lasted all of a couple days). By AZ standards, California is warm to chilly depending.

My partner lived in LA for a number of years some time back and he still talks about how in the dead of winter all you might do is pull up a heavy blanket on the bed or put on a light jacket and that was it even on a 'cold' day.

It all boils down to what you're used to.

Todd

9. Gen

Gen

Californians have no idea what cold weather really is. California isnt known for it heat. Its known for its sunshine. (Which of course many attribute to heat, but that is not neccessarily so)

Our temperatures are never the most drastic because we are so close to the ocean, but we tend to see a lot of clear sunshine throughtout the year and far less rain/storms/etc.

10. Ohhh... I'm actually talking about the NorCal coast.

---------- Post added 27th Apr 2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

San Fran is well known for it's fogginess, which keeps the area cool throughout the day. Plus, coastal areas are somewhat cool in the spring and fall.

11. If we are talking the areas actually on the coast, then yes, it is exactly like that. However, the coast is not the only part of NorCal where a lot of people live. I grew up in San Jose, which is a heavily populated area (more people than San Francisco) and is fairly close to the ocean, and we didn't have cool, foggy summers. We lived in a frying pan. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but your statement itself is a generalization, because a significant part of the NorCal population lives in a very different environment than San Francisco or Monterrey.

12. Hexagon

Relativity people.

13. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If your claim to not being fairly warm is "sometimes we can maybe get a little bit of frost* every now and then", then I think it's high time you experienced a snowfall a foot deep three weeks into April. Or -10F high temperatures in the middle of January. :slight_smile:

Granted, summers here in Minnesota regularly feature 90F+ (and even 100's, ugh), so it's not like we're the frigid wasteland that people who aren't Minnesotan like to claim we are. In fact, I would much prefer being in a frigid wasteland. Everything between May and October is utterly untenable.

* So probably between 35-40F, as a low.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gotta say... the posters who say that native Californians have no idea what cold is... have it right.

I spent two years in San Diego and people would bitch when the weather got below 60 degrees F. If it hit 60 in Ohio in January, people would be rejoicing in the streets!

I now live in northern CA, near Sacramento. We get a bit of rain in the winter, but honestly, I can probably count on two hands the number of times I had to wear real shoes (not sandals) leaving the house last winter. And I can probably also count on two hands the times I had to put on more than a sweater to be warm.

Contrast that with northern Ohio, where I spent a number of years... there, the *high* temperature could be 5 degrees F in January. I once left my house with wet hair, walked to my car (about 50 feet) and my hair was frozen solid. *That* is cold weather. What California gets, other than if you're way up in the mountains where it snows, is not cold weather. And even the cold in Tahoe does not compare with the bone-chilling cold you get in many other parts of the country.

15. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it just depends on what you are used to. I've always lived in a mild temperate climate, so yes a California summer is much warmer than I am used to.

Also, California is quite large and features a variety of climates.

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It was raining the day I boarded a plane at LAX on 1st December :slight_smile:

17. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I'm on the Western side of the Cascades and 80F is considered hot and 30F is considered cold. :slight_smile: It's cloudy most days until summer, when it's sunny most days.

18. Harve

Los Angeles' coldest month of the year (January) is warmer than our warmest month of the year (July). The cloudiest month (December) is about 30% more sunny than our sunniest month (May), despite near-constant daylight in the latter, and 800% more sunny than our own cloudiest month (December). Los Angeles has about 35 days of rain a year whilst we have about 35 days a year when it doesn't rain. 'Nuff said.

Yay stats.

19. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

It's freaking HOT.

20. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Actually Florida is officially the Sunshine State, while as your location points out, California is the Golden State.

Anyway according to the climate chart on Wikipedia, the coldest month in LA is December, with an average high of 68.0 degrees Fahrenheit and average low of 49.1...sorry I really don't think you know what cold is if you think that is cold.

Here in New York City, the coldest month is January, with an average high of 38.3 and average low of 26.9....

Up in Portland, Maine, again January, the average high is 31.2 and the average low is 13.4.

Then out in the Midwest, in Duluth, Minnesota, the average high is 19.0 and the average low is 1.6 degrees...

Claiming that California is not warm sounds quite silly to people who have ever been anywhere else. :icon_wink