1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My letter to my state represenative (not lgbt related)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MtnFr3sh, Apr 27, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mr. Mac Thornberry,
    I am writing to you because I am fed up with contacting so many people and getting responses from nobody! The basic civil rights of youth is being discriminated against all over the country in schools and nobody seems to give a shit! I am talking about the first amendment. "Students do not shed their constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate." - "state-sponsored schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism." Tinker v. Des Moines, 393 U.S. 503 (1969).
    And yet four decades later, liberties are STILL being trampled by public school officials!
    I am so fed up that I am ready to contact the American Civil Liberties Union and major news networks, hell, I'm even so fed up of getting respect from nobody I contact that I'm ready to file a lawsuit! I am more than ready to stage protests as a citizen and a student of the state-sponsored (My PUBLIC high school is here)

I posted this to my facebook then I found this and added a comment to it
    "Specifically, we could all just NOT do the pledge of allegiance, because there is no "liberty" for all.
    (What 1st amendment does mean on a .gov website)
    "Not to speak (specifically, the right not to salute the flag).
    West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)"

So, what do you guys think? I'd love your opinions

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As far as I've seen, kids already have a right not to salute the flag. But other than that, it sounds good. Personally, I'd say "give a damn" instead of "give a shit" if you must swear; it still sounds strong without referencing poo.

I've often seen courts defend schools instead of students when it comes to first amendment rights, and it would be awesome to see that turned around. :slight_smile:

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with RSwordsman. Usually whenever you use profanity in a letter or speech, it needs to be mild if any, you would need to be mature with how you approach it, especially if the message you are trying to get across is that students should have more first amendment rights.

4. Hexagon

It seems good, though I agree with removing the swearing. I also think you need to give more specific examples of what you're complaining about, the type of coercion that is employed to get you to comply etc.