1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are homophobes gay!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theCHIVEguy21, Apr 28, 2013.

1. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was talking with my friend last night, we were discussing what our co-workers reactions will be when I tell them I was gay. Then we were talking about homophobes. I had never thought about it before but she said that homophobes are scared/hate gay people because they are scared to admit how they actually feel. What do you think about that?

2. JPC

JPC Guest

I'm sure some of them are, but I would think the majority are just uneducated and ignorant.

3. Reptillian

"Not all those who campaign against gay men and lesbians secretly feel same-sex attractions. " That came from exactly your link.

Also, I kind of would like to add that there are plenty of evidence that physiological arousal is not necessarily due to sexual attraction out there.

So, I wouldn't assume someone is gay because he/she hates homosexuals.

4. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homophobes ARE gay!

In the sense of the word that middle schooler's use to describe something stupid.

5. Level75

It's certainly an enticing thought to think the most vocal homophobes are really self-loathing gays deep down. But I think that's all it is, just gossip material. Like JCP says, they're mostly just idiotic.

6. Hexagon

Some are, some aren't. Like most every other type of person.

7. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A lot of these professional homophones like ted haggard turn out to be gay. Their just pathetic people who are too weak to accept themselves so they hate on other gay people to hide their sexuality.

8. photoguy93

As others have said, some are and some aren't. With every "stereotype" and such, there is usually a little bit of truth. I think that some people are just dumb and uneducated, but I think that some could have feelings. Now, that's just it - could be feelings. Someone who doesn't understand that it's ok to want to experiment might think their whole life is over!

When I was harassed my freshman year of high school, one of my teachers told me that, often, the ones who are the worst are the gay ones. I also had never thought about it, but I do hold that close. I think the good thing about thinking that is that, maybe, they are dealing with their own demons.

9. Reptillian

I kind of would like to add that there are homophobes who do have knowledge of sexuality. No, knowledge does not necessarily remove hatred. And not all people that are homophobes are dumb, some people actually enjoy to see misery of other people by manipulating others and harming others. Yes, many who hates on homophobes lack knowledge on the subject and some are homosexual themselves, but not all fit those criteria. Also, there are secular ones too. Not all of them are religious too.

10. MrBrightside

Ill admit i used to be a tad homophobic, and now im out as bi. I was never one who would say anything to someones face, but in anger i would make nasty comments or say things.

To be honest alot of it is down to not accepting who you are. I used to see gay guys as a reflection of what i hated of myself. Childish i know but when you are down and scared it kinda gets messed up in your head.

I think alot is also down to your friends. I had alot of very homophobic friends when i was younger. It convinced me it was wrong, and i was wrong and i was being led astray etc.

Most homophobia is gay or bi people scared of the truth in my opinion. Its a very scarey thing, but times are changing and here at least homophobia is becoming a real taboo and seen as unacceptable.

#11 MrBrightside, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013