1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Apr 28, 2013.

1. theMaverick

What is queer? Do you consider yourself queer? Are all LGBT people queer?

*confused by the term queer*

2. BornInTexas

Queer by definition is "odd."

You could say we're all queer. And most people identify with it because it's a gray term that encompasses a wide circle. :grin:

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like Texas said, the original definition for queer was odd. So I guess we all are a little queer in our own way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Hexagon

Uh... difficult question. Queer is often used as a blanket label for all LGBT people. LGBT isn't inclusive of all sexualities and gender identities, and though inclusiveness is implied, the acronym clearly favours those who are actually named. So queer. The only problem is, the term queer has been used to insult us for decades. Some people don't feel comfortable labelling as such, or being part of a community that names itself so, and they don't want to reclaim the word. I don't know how widespread such opinions are, but in a sense that doesn't really matter - they exist. I don't have a problem with the label, but I don't want to take it if its going to alienate some of us.

We need a proper name though. LGBT really isn't very inclusive.

5. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really get behind the term.

Wish that for once we gay queers could pick a term that didn't have negative connotations :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. castle walls

I am one of those people. I hate the term "queer" and I do not allow anyone, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity, to refer to me as such. I consider the word to be an insult.

True. What about GSM (gender/sexuality minority)? The acronym shouldn't have to get longer and should include a lot more people than LGBT. The problem is it isn't a very well known acronym

7. Hexagon

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't heard that one before. The only problem I can think of is... that bisexuality might not actually be a minority. The Kinsey scale suggests about 90% of the population is bisexual to some extend, doesn't it?

8. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    even if that is true, i think its a minority in reality unless 90% of people actually claim they are bisexual.

9. BornInTexas

That doesn't mean people identify as bisexual, though. Hence why it's considered a minority.

10. Hexagon

True.

I'd be fine with GSM. Unless it turns out to also be the acronym of some fascist group or something. Not that it is, but that would be a dealbreaker.

Someone should draw up a list of blanket names for our community, and set a poll.

11. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate every term actually because I don't like to be lumped together with other people that I do not know or care about just for sharing one of what seems like several hundred different gender-sexuality variances.

but alas, for political reasons I suppose it is necessary.....

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I don't mind queer, it's definitely a good shortcut when it comes to encompassing a variety of sexualities/identies. That being said, is it my favorite term? No. There's a lot of negative connotations associated with the term, for instance, in that the term queer is associated with being 'weird', not 'normal', as opposed to just different angles of the sexuality and/or gender spectrum. However, it's a simple, all-encompassing term, so whatever can replace it needs to have that same impact- a term that can not only impart variances in identity but bring the LGBT community together.

13. Hexagon

I like that we don't all have to be the same. I think we represent what mainstream society should be; diverse, accepting and united, rather than conformist and homogenous.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

^

Exactly. What we should be is a pie slice of diversity, a reflection on what our world would be like if differences were acknowledged, rather than stifled, and accepted. So whatever term we settle on should reflect that, a willingness to come together despite our fundamental differences.

15. Reptillian

Well, a search on the meaning of queer will show you that it's kind of a word without any clear meaning or means so many different things. I will define queer as members who identify within a non-hetero identity that belongs into political group that supports recognition and rights of every non-hetero sexuality. That's just one of the combined terms.

16. catatonie

I use it because it makes me feel like I'm in a secret club.

17. MrBrightside

I do think of myself as queer, but if a stranger calls me it i will take alot of offense. Its one of these words that tend to get banded about in situations where alcohol is involved. I have been called it many a time whilst in clubs and i tend to react quite badly. If a friend says it i let it pass as i know its usually not meant with malicious intent.

In one way it is a fact, or at least in my personal opinion, not being solely interested in the opposite sex is strange (at least biologically in the reproductive sense). Although this could be due to me previously not liking the idea of liking guys.

Its one of these words which is very contextualised, and is acceptable in terms of ignorance or genuine descriptive sense, but is all too often used as an insult which isnt acceptable.

18. Femmeme

I LOVE the term queer. I like that it can mean anything but straight and cis, because in a lot of situations it's nice to be able to say that you aren't straight/cis without giving detailed explanation of your sexuality. I like that because queer is such a nebulous word it can cause people to ask more detailed questions and open up a conversation. (Yes those two points contradict each other, but I'm complicated like that.) I like that it's an umbrella term, so if you combine all the people could be described as queer we become less of a minority. I like that it subverts the gender and sexual binary. I like that it was an insult that we've reclaimed and can wear with honor. I just all around like it.

QUEER!!! (!)(!)(!)

19. MrBrightside

I can relate alot to this point. Its not always easy to describe your sexuality, especially if you are bi. It is always nice to have a decent chat about it though.

I have to admit i never thought of the word queer in this way, quite enlightening (if thats the word) really.

20. theMaverick

After reading everything, this is pretty much how I feel. I'm cool with it. And it describes (at least to me) more of how I feel because I'm not 100% gay. Just mostly..