1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take you to open up to people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RueBea85, Apr 28, 2013.

1. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Just as the question states, how long does it normally take you to open up to people? To feel totally comfortable around them?

2. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The person I'm closest to I've known for around ten years, and I wouldn't say I feel totally comfortable around her at this point, just because I'm generally very shy when it comes to stuff about me. She's definitely the person I feel most comfortable talking to about personal shit, though, and is basically my big sister and is totally amazing. But, yea, took about 8-9 years to get to that point...

3. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't take me long at at, which is hard because I end up telling them something that ill regret telling them later. So I need to remind myself I've just met the person.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

A long time, which is why it's difficult for me to ever build relationships with people if they don't give me enough time to open up to them in the first place.

5. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here.Im vrry shy around new people and really dont know what to talk about.

Ive had a few people flat out walk away from me cause i justdidnt talk enough.

6. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    once they have seen my weaknesses and accepted me that way , it can be after they have seen me drunk a few too many times , they have seen me upset and breaking down , making a fall of myself or just along time

7. BornInTexas

I'm very shy around everyone, and I don't get to know too many people too well. The internet is where I can go to talk to people about stuff I wouldn't normally talk about with my friends. However, the most comfortable people I hang around in real life are my two best friends.

About five to six or twelve years. xD

8. Eliza

Eliza Guest

A long ass time. I have been friends with people for upwards of five years and not told them much about myself.

9. The username

This is exactly what I was about to write.

I'd say a couple months, and it also depends on how often we talk and see each other. My best friend forced me to talk to her one night, and that kicked things off. It still took forever to open completely up about myself (except for one thing... :\)

10. manoverboard09

To me it really depends.. I'm kind of quiet until I get to know someone, but it's like once I do get to know you I don't shut up :x

But I mean I have a best friend that I've known for 10 years and she doesn't know everything about me.. I tend to keep my personal life personal. Only share the huge things that I want people to know about.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About 4 or 5 months, usually.

12. Hefiel

Never felt comfortable enough with someone to "open up". Which isn't to say that I've had no "friend" in my whole life. I've had groups of friends and acquaintances from primary school to high school, but I've never opened up to anybody.

13. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    I dont think im fully "opened up" to anyone... currently my crush knows more about me than my parents and all of my other friends, and ive only known him for 2 years... but at the same time i have friends from Kindergarden who dont know me nearly enough, even though we have been "close" for a long time. It really depends on the person for me

14. Aielar

With some of my friends, it's taken about three years before I disclose personal information and feel totally comfortable, and safe, when I'm around that person. This year, however, I joined a student advisory committee where I had to do an incredibly personal interview with the group coordinator and at that point, I'd only known the person for several months. Normally I would resent being forced to disclose that sort of information to other people, but because she was tactful and respectful, opening up and being vulnerable didn't really bother me...and in fact strengthened our relationship.

15. TSN2012

A very longg time. I'm a very shy person and I have big trust issue.

16. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can be a week or two or months. Depends on the person.

17. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not long, but I do go from one extreme to the other on the shyness scale rather quickly after I have warmed up.

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well lately my approach has been in trying to meet new people to simply be open and honest and put everything all out-front from the beginning...so I tell people to please just have the patience to get to know me and let me open up, or else just don't waste any time. Because I act like a completely different person with people I know compared to those I don't.

19. Ridiculous

Probably like 50-75 years.

I have never been completely comfortable around anyone. There are/were people I was more comfortable around than others, obviously... but no where near as comfortable as I am when I'm by myself.

20. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm usually fairly open and comfortable, save for letting on to being gay. I just told a friend of several years today that I was gay. I am now fully open with him, which he has pointed out that it's like a whole other person.
    I intend to get that out of the way early on, so that I can always be fully open.