1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and a Christian but just a regular Christian

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Alexander69

So I was told that you can not be a gay Christian, if you don't want to be gay and are a Christian and fight temptation you are not a "gay Christian" but just a regular Christian like any other Christian who suffers from temptation to other things like pre marital sex and things. Those sins are considers "forgivable" to act upon homosexuality is unforgivable sin but it "may" be forgivable as long as you don't live your homosexual life style all the time.

2. falsereading

falsereading Guest

You can be a gay mountain climber, gay swimmer, gay computer geek...you can be gay whatever you want and that could be a gay christian.

I don't sign up for religion (at all) so some elements are lost on me but I read many on here who happily identify as a gay christian. If you are close to people that say you can't be then my suggestion would be to ignore them.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I refer to friends I don't start with "So my bisexual friend...", "So my friend whose engaged to another girl...", "So my transgender friend..." "So my biracial/black friends..." or "So my Atheist friends...."

They are just my friends. I'm Christian and by some churches definition I'm not gay because I've never acted on my attractions. People have different definitions of "gay" etc. Some attest that you cannot be a gay Christian but I don't believe that. Also, who is saying what sins can be forgivable and which can't? Sounds like God's job not ours...

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jesus never mentioned homosexuality and Christians often ignore most of the old testament (which is a good thing) so why can't you be a proud gay christian. I'm not a christian but I still don't see why being a christian means you can't be yourself.

5. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't listen to people.

you should make your own decisions about things.

6. Willjarvis

Unless he said that by saying "Acting upon homosexual urges is a mortal sin and white lies are venial sin because they are," I think it comes down to penance. If someone has a "gay lifestyle", he probably doesn't repent or even recognise it as wrong under any circumstances. So in theory, he can't be forgiven because he doesn't seek forgiveness. It isn't merely failing to obey God, it's actively denying Him. Or what He supposedly says if nothing else.
    Somebody who is gay but fights against it can repent, so if he's sincere and he repents over everything else, he could be in a state of grace. But it is all asuming that homosexuality is wrong.

I believe it's a bit like how couples with a divorcé or two are denied the eucharist in some churches. So maybe this could even apply in "faith alone" beliefs where salavation is given to those who accept it, not just the ones who have lead a righteous life in their deeds.

7. Pain

Pain Guest

Whomever you heard that from is stupid.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not all Christians are homophobic.

My parents (who are Christian) would say that an openly gay Christian is likely more Christian than the Westboro Baptist Church is. They believe God intended us to love, not hate.

I mean, they even have an atheist kid and instead of trying to convert me back, they've told me that they think God can handle a bit of criticism and me being a good person matters more than what I believe about God.

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest you check out this website. It looks at Bible passages to debunk common anti-gay passages and study those which show more acceptance.

10. FemCasanova

Well, if you believe in God, then you are a christian. If you are gay, you are gay. So if you both believe in God and are gay, then you are by default a gay christian. Can a gay christian act out on his/her desires and still be a good christian? No where in the ten commandments it say that you cannot live with and have sex with a man, unless he happens to belong to your neighbor. Jesus said nada about it. Everything else written was a translation/interpretation done by faulty humans, who could easily have misunderstood the whole thing, even if god actually was talking to them. And then these chapters spent centuries being re-translated, changed hands, was taken out of the bible and some was added. So, you cannot take the bible as a rule book from god, because it`s been evolving through time since someone wrote the first chapter! Nothing of what is in it now is exactly like it was written. And if you`ve ever played the whispering game, you know how that ends up. "I love cake" can end up "Eye is baked"! I cannot interpret the word that means love, so I write it has affection, someone else writed a liking for, which word is similar to viking, and then you have a whole new passage.

So, in my personal opinion, I think it`s about following those basic golden rules, of you shall not kill, steal, lie, etc. If you`re a good person, who you choose to spend your life with shouldn`t upset the balance too much in the long run. So yeah, I think a good christian can be exactly who he was born as, as long as who he is isn`t hurting anyone.

11. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i consider my self a christan despite my sexuality... it says in the bible that God is perfect and never makes mistakes... well, i know for a fact that i didnt choose to be into dudes and if God made me and doesnt make mistakes then im just a christian as the next person..
    im not a gay christian either... im just a christian who happesn to like both men and women

other christians wont see it this way (my mom) but i have a different relationship with God as she does...

sorry i kinda forgot where im going with this so im going to stop here

12. SleeplessS

My ex wife was a minister. I remember the first time I read her profile, it said " I am christian, and gay, please don't waste your or my time telling me that isn't possible." And that's how I believe it to this day.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE watch the Matthew Vines video on Youtube and quit listening to the ignorant bigots you're talking to? All they're going to do is mess with your head. They're full of shit. Ignore them.

14. Hexagon

I don't see why homosexual acts have to be a sin at all, unforgivable or not.

15. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Gay churches exist, lol. I believe it's entirely possible.

I think most religious books or codes were made by people who wanted to be in control. and to make people follow, some big man had to be behind it. I'm not saying there is no god, because I don't know. I just believe that the books are made by humans, and humans can be wrong.

16. AlamoCity

I'm agnostic but was raised Protestant and I can say that you can be gay AND Christian or a Christian who happens to be gay. The choice is yours and yours alone. Christian beliefs dictate that only God can judge you. Therefore, it is not the place of anyone to tell you how to worship and label yourself. Many minorities label themselves to stand out from the sea of uniformity. That is why we have Black churches and gay (or gay friendly) churches. Anyone can worship in any of them, but they have an affiliation to a traditionally marginalized group and offers them sanctuary from those who do not know or face the plight of being a minority.

17. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Re: Gay and a Christian but just a regular Christian?

You can be a gay christian. I am, and so are tons of other people around the world. In my book, the definition of a Christian is someone who follows Christ. Honestly, in my opinion, anyone who follows the teachings of a religious leader can be that religion. I follow both Jesus Christ and Buddah's teachings, so I consider myself a Christian Buddhist. There certain aspects of buddhism that I don't subscribe to, like reincarnation, but I find religion to be a very personal thing where you can really adapt it to what you believe in. If you follow Christ, you're a Christian. Because of Christ's death and ressurection, Christians don't have to follow the rules that the Hebrew people do. If Christians did still do this, we would be sacrificing animals and all kinds of stuff like that. Christ's represented reformation of the whole system, so that's why Christians don't bring livestock to church lol. I have a fairly liberal view on religion, so people will probably disagree with me, so that's cool if you want to believe whatever you want.