1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just come out already?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Apr 29, 2013.

1. I've already come out to my parents and cousin, they've accepted me.
    I've already come out to my old middle school friends, they've accepted me.
    I've already come out to some friends at my high school's gay-straight alliance, they accepted me.

Now, the last step coming out to everyone. Even the ones, that don't accept me. People have told me the people at school don't have to know and I know that already but why should I keep these fake friends in the first place? I feel really uncomfortable around these people at school, even thought they don't hate me now, they will if they were to ever learn the truth about me. I'm tired of not being able to post whatever I want on Facebook because I have to hide myself from these people.

I'm mostly ready but I'm still scared of rejection. There's a few tables I can't sit at anymore. I'm afraid I'll get picked on. I'm afraid I'll get stuff thrown at people or people would call me names. But some of my friends said they'll be there if someone "tries to something crazy with me."

So should I come out? Should I wait till June, so things will be a least easier and I'll just have to deal with one month of all this happening?

2. kem

kem

Why are you afraid of rejection? If the friendship is fake and you feel uncomfortable around these people, then you should be the one rejecting them. I'm a cynical person and I think that those who don't understand the basic human right to sexual freedom are ignorant and not worth your time.
    Also you have people supporting you in case something "bad" happens.

#2 kem, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. So, that's a yes?

4. kem

kem

Well, yes, I think that you should come out if you feel "mostly ready" as you put it. That's what I would do. Ultimately, it's what you think that matters. Try to think about what's keeping you from coming out and if it's worth not really being you.

5. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, you have a solid support system already. And if anyone over FB gives you ANY flack over being gay, fuck them, they aren't worth having around you. Post what you want, and if someone has issues, get rid of 'em.
    You don't need to make any announcements, just do as you please.
    What I do/did is/was this (because I never 'officially' came out): I changed my FB 'interested in' to 'Men' and I posted whatever I felt strongly about. One person gave me an issue over it, and I completely degraded him in public about it. I guess we could say I went bat-shit crazy, though things never went physical. People don't mess with me if they know what I'm like when I get mad :slight_smile:

6. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come out, come out wherever you are! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nah but seriously. I haven't come out to people who would reject me LoL but if you feel it's something you must do, then you definitely should and we all support you. You're braver than me. :slight_smile:

7. Perseus

It's not worth hiding what you are in front of people you don't care about. But it's totally up to you... Take your time and tell people whenever you want to.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out if you feel it's right. You don't have to feel like you need to announce in random conversations, but if you feel like you're not being true to yourself by not telling them, then tell them.

I doubt anything really unpleasant will happen, given how many people around you are ready to support you and stand by you if anyone has a problem with it. The biggest risk would be getting bullied, but it's hard to bully someone who has supportive friends.