1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Fear of Homophobic Violence Influence How You Dress and Act?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Does fear of homophobic assault influence how you act and dress in public?

1. Yes, I change how I dress and act in public to appear straight out of fear of homophobic violence.

44.4%
  2. No, I dress and act however I feel I want to and am proud to be seen as queer.

55.6%
  1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Alright so maybe this is just me, but lately I've been finding that though I want to break out of the closet more, I still live in paranoid fear of being out on the street by myself and people being able to tell that I am gay.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to go to Equality and Justice Day, a rally held in Albany, the state capital of New York State. We are specifically there this year to advocate for passing the Gender Expression Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA).

Now I'd been looking forward to this for months, and I had a pretty pink, blue, and purple outfit picked out which I thought would fit with the theme of gender equality and more broadly a freedom to express oneself in terms of gender however one pleases.

But in order to get there, I have to go by myself to take a train in the dark at 4:30 in the morning to a somewhat seedy area, where I then have to walk to a parking lot down by the docks. I'm already kind of anxious about having to do this; but I'm deathly afraid of doing it while wearing pink converse and purple skinny jeans that would make me a clear target for homophobic violence.

So now I'm considering just dressing up as as much of a straight slob as I can, or else not even going.

Are my fears irrational? Do people ever get over this line of thinking and feel free to be themselves and express themselves? I really want to break out of this closet and dress and act in a way that shows I am proud; while I don't care about verbal remarks I am mortified at the thought of getting into physical confrontation with someone in which I'd probably end up getting killed.

It'd be different I think if I at least had some friends and we could travel in a group and stuff, but since I'm a pathetic loser and have no friends I have to go places by myself, and I feel like I'm slowly back deeper and deeper into the closet rather than becoming more and more open. :frowning2:

#1 Rakkaus, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately yes..

3. lightnight

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. Hence why I don't bind or otherwise look like a guy.

5. nikom87

I change my look when I think it might be safer. As much as I want to be open and proud, I do worry sometimes. I'm even careful what I wear to work because its not a very welcoming environment. I am not all that big of a guy and would not fare well in a physical altercation either.

Could you bring some of your outfit along (like your shoes) in a backpack to change into once you're at your destination?

6. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because the way I dress and want to dress fits well within the stereotypical male clothing handbook.

And no, I think I act like a stereotypical male most of the time so I'm not really "seen as queer".

7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not anymore. I keep a taser and some mace handy in my purse just in case some prick wants to start anything.

8. Mysz

Wear grey sweatpants over those fantastic sounding jeans- similarly a nondescript sweatshirt or jacket over the top- and you can just change into pink converse while already on the bus. Bring a large backpack with you to put the clothes in. :icon_wink Have fun at the rally! I wish you luck. Keep your phone on and at the ready in case you need to make an emergency call, or one of those little whistles that attract attention when you're in trouble.

9. Nope mainly because I have no dress sense annnnd have absolutely no gay pride! (No shame either it just is.)

10. Hexagon

Violent homophobia is very rare around here, so I don't consider myself to be at a particularly high risk. I'm also (probably) capable of defending myself against 1/2 attackers. I don't get particularly affected by the moderate amount of homophobia I get. In all, I concluded that the decreased quality of life caused by changing my behaviour to avoid a very low chance of loss of life or serious injury was not worth it. So I stuck a needle through my ears five times, pierced my lip and started wearing pink and rainbow accessories.

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Hahaha awesome.

I'm a little wary about going out in public since I've started dressing much more masculine and my hair is short now, so I'm afraid that some bogan might call me a dyke or a group of guys might assault me, though the chances of that are pretty low.

I've already been called a faggot in public, and my classmates are pretty hostile towards me. They usually say that I'm an ugly lesbian or students in lower years ask me if I'm a guy or a girl, followed by laughter and stares.

Tis life. Sucks, but whatever. I've been assaulted even before I started dressing more masculine. I'm used to it.

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Oh yeah I thought of that, but I didn't really want to have to lug around a big backpack and heavy sweatshirt- that would slow me down if I needed to run away quickly! :eek: And it would be annoying to have to carry around heavy stuff at a rally and stuff anyway. Plus I was planning on just taking my little blue Diesel shoulder purse or my white Converse one. :grin:

But thanks for the tips and the support! :slight_smile:

13. LailaForbidden

I wouldn't say I'm scared of violence, but I am scared of being harassed verbally and/or gossiped about if I wore, say, a suit and tie to prom.

:frowning2:
    Although, i'm not out.. so that's probably why.

14. Ridiculous

My favourite tshirt is my rainbow one... so no.

15. Hot Pink

Pfft... I don't even own any skirts or dresses and I doubt I ever will. That being said, I only wear women's clothes, but only because I want to. I dress in a tomboyish way and I usually don't think about it. It's just how I'm most comfortable. In case there's any doubt that I'm gay, I wear a gay pride bracelet.

16. Bolin

No...but I don't dress in stereotypically gay colors anyway. I wear pink fearlessly, though.

17. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

18. Sully

I don't dress at all stereotypically gay, and I like to think I don't act at all gay (though I'm becoming less sure of that).

However I definitely fear violence, and that fear will effect certain things.

19. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, fear of homophobic violence does prevent me from crossdressing much. It doesn't really affect how I act, because I've already found out that I can't hide anyway...

20. Hot Pink

Well, to be fair, it is easier to dress slightly masculine when you're passing for female than vice versa.