1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nature Vs. Nuture

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by littledinosaurs, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Which one is more influential on why people are the way they are
    and why you think so.

(I am still trying to figure it out, but if its nuture i am so mad at everyone in my life)

2. Tim

Tim

For me, it's nature.

I was brought up completely religious. However, now I'm not religious in any sense, and I'm gay, which I was taught was completely wrong when I was little... Guess I wasn't the best listener, eh? :3

3. justjoshoh

From personal experience, I would say that there is no evidence of nurture being the determinate on my sexuality. Considering there are my two brothers that are not homosexual that were raised by the same nurturing parents as I and that there are two of my cousins that are homosexual that were raised in different environments, I would tend to concur with those that select nature. Both cousins, from different parents, happened to have brothers that are heterosexual as well, with one set being twins.

4. smilealways

smilealways Guest

Nature.

I was already doing gay things when I was about 7 years old. It was me who decided what to do. People can influence you but its really all up to you. So cant blame things on people.

(Blaming on people, being angry or mad, wont actually help things improve.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is fairly certain to say it's not Nurture. There is no conclusive proof to suggest it's either, or that both don't influence it. I personally would go for nature though.

Our hormones are all covered in genetics, whereas nurturing only looks at the environment. It's common knowledge that our environments aren't gay-friendly, so i highly doubt they can link it. The nature option covers a wider area that has stronger possibilities, whereas the nurture route is very narrow.

6. Bevo

Bevo Guest

I think Nature does define who someone is and their opinions but to a smaller extent Nurture does as well.

My family is moderate, un-political and non-religious and i am moderate, political and atheistic. My opinions have developed because i chose them and i certainly don't let anyone dictate who i am or what my opinion is.

My points for nurture are that (not personally) gullible people or people who are easily dominate or have been brought up knowing nothing else than what has been put into their minds since early age, they are dictated to by someone else what they believe and who they are.

The reasons for nature are defined above and this is the stronger side as the points for psychological nurturing (such as what makes you gay: weak father model, stronger relationship with mother etc.) are discredited and archaic and i believe most of what is you or me lies in the intricate and complex field of genetics.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you talking just about sexuality, or about other traits as well?

8. Nope, any traits. It just seems everyone wanted to talk about sexuality.

9. I think thats its a combination of both Nature and Nurture. Its been proven that some peoples genetics makes them predisposed to be a certain way (alturistic, thrill seeking, aggressive etc.). However, a person with a particular genetic makeup to be aggressive may not be aggressive because of the way that person was raised and the environment they live in.

10. My Names Ashlee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is nature. My older sister told my mom that i was gay when I was 5. I didnt even know what that meant till I was 15 and figured out that I was different. I also grew up going to church.