1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are some people so easily offended?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Apr 29, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hi. So, it just kind of hit me that many people often find people that have a different opinion on things like gay marriage are homophobic. I don't really understand this, because some of the most loving people I have ever met are Christians, and while they are very nice people, they get called homophobic by the few liberals at my school. In my opinion, just because someone disagrees with you on a topic like gay marriage doesen't necessarily mean that they hate gay people or are afraid of them. Why do some people try to make everything homophobic? I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I din't really think it's right that some people are labeled things like bigot and homophobe just for saying that they don't support homosexual marriage. I disagree with them, but I still respect them as a person. What are your opinions on this?

2. Gen

Gen

Even as a non-white individual, I dont believe that every racist in modern times, nor even going as far back as slavery, were terrible people. I have just as much faith that many of the people born into the world today would have share the same views as society if they were born a century ago. No sensible individual cares whether everyone in the world approves of LGBT lifestyles. If it all was a matter of simple disagreance, then LGBT individuals would have every right given to the heteorsexuals of the world. I've had plenty of homophobic friends. They were awesome regardless.

Our opinions and feelings arent what defines our character as a human being. Its what we do with them, how we relay them, and how much we try to force them upon others that determines our respect for one another.

3. Hefiel

Are those loving Christians that you've met against Homosexuality?

The problem with religious folks (regardless of religion) is that they often misinterpret their holy book, haven't read their holy book, or have only read the passages they've been told to read.

So for example, a nice loving Christian comes forward and says homosexuality is a sin. What do you do next? Well you question him to know whether he eats Pork, sea food, and whether his clothes were woven with more than one fabric. If he answers "Yes" to any of these, then he's a cherrypicking hypocrite because the Bible (or more precisely Leviticus) calls those an abomination as well.

You can't just open up a holy book, go "Hm...well I don't believe in eating pork being an abomination, don't believe that either, don't believe in slavery....oh homosexuality is an abomination!?! Let's take out the pitchfork and torches and burn these freaks!". It's absolutely ridiculous, and surprisingly extremely common... go figure.

On a side note, I don't get offended at all. I'm more baffled by the fact that they don't know what they're preaching rather than the content of their sermon.

4. Eliza

Eliza Guest

For a long time, I bought into the whole idea of, "No, Christians aren't bigots! They love everyone! They just hate gay BEHAVIOR."

Then I actually picked the brains of a few "love the sinner/hate the sin" types and changed my mind.

Fact: if you ask a Christian, "Should gay people be put to death, just like the Bible says?" they will never, ever give you a compassionate answer.

Don't believe a word they say. They would have us rounded up and shot if they thought they could get away with it.

5. Denying a group their rights is bigotry.

No, they wouldn't (not all of them anyway). What makes you say that?

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You seem to think homophobe = terrible person in every way.

There are homophobes who rescue orphans and do all sorts of fine charity work. They can be loving parents (as long as their kids are straight) and fine spouses and all that.

Just because you're wrong in one way doesn't mean you're wrong in every way.

But the only time I've heard a non-homophobic reason to oppose gay marriage was on the CBC comedy show Debators.

7. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's unreasonable to call Christians who oppose gay marriage homophobic. If they are against gay marriage because of personal religious beliefs then they can live their life accordingly and not marry someone of the same sex. They have the right to believe whatever they want, but if they think they can impose their religious "standards" onto other people, cherry pick what they want to believe out of the bible, and spread ignorance and intolerance towards gay people then it becomes a problem.

So they might be polite or just say it's a difference of opinion but it's really not, it's discrimination. They are preventing people from being treated equally under the law because of their personal religious beliefs. Plain and simple. If it weren't for Christians/religious people spreading ignorance and funding anti-gay campaigns we'd have been treated equally under the law long ago. As I said, nobody is infringing on their rights - They can live their life according to any religious standard they want. They are the ones pushing their religious beliefs onto us and preventing us from being treated equally in the eyes of the law - which is supposed to be secular, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

8. Pain

Pain Guest

People who are against GSM rights such as marriage equality are just that. If you don't like it, then stay out of it and let others do as they please. But those who are only speaking softly and subtly are the most dangerous kind of bigot; they put on a facade of compassion, but they are still against people like me because of whom I happen to love. I won't stand for anything that calls me less of a person by saying (even softly) that I shouldn't have the same rights as others.

9. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Because I've asked them.

They always give some weaselly answer like, "Well, I read my Bible I prayed on it and that's what the good lord told me! I'm sorry if you don't like it!"

These people oppose homosexuality based on the Bible verse that explicitly orders us to be put to death. Are you surprised?

10. Mogget

Intent isnt maguc. If someone opposes equal rights for lgbt people it doesnt matter how nice they are, they're still perpetuating oppression of lgbt people.

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm very offended by this thread!!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not like that... and neither are the rest of my Christian family members and friends... :confused:

12. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Do you oppose gay marriage but say you're "totes not a bigot" because you "just hate the sin, not the sinner?"

If not, I wasn't talking about you.

But I will not pull any punches against people who want me dead. Sorry if that offends you!

13. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're right in saying anyone that says LGBTQ members should die are annoying and bigoted, and it should offend you.

But not all Christians are like that... Just extremists who hide behind the bible to spew hate.

14. Mogget

A lot of Christians will act totally supportive until you ask them point-blank if having gay sex is inherently sinful, at which point they'll hem and haw and refuse to answer. A lot of us have been burned by that one timo too many. And for the record, yes, thinking that gay sex is inherently sinful contributesto societal oppression of lgbt ppl and is therefore homophobic.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really, really hate this view so much. We have people who want us all executed, and we have people who think that our relationships should not be recognized, which means that as binational couples, we can be split by deportation, or as any couple, we can be denied survivorship benefits and hospital visitation rights.

What people are doing to us is cruelty. And you are saying that we're wrong to morally condemn them for their hatred?

I believe that you need to learn to see hatred and recognize it.

16. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we have earned the right to be defensive.. We have to be. Many people worked hard and even died so that we can openly stand up to hate.

I think it just goes too far sometimes when on the subject of religion. A christian friend might accept you and consider you a friend while having the belief that you are a sinner. JUST LIKE you might be their friend and accept them while having the belief that they are incredibly stupid. :slight_smile:

which side would you really prefer? lol

17. DanD

My 'very religious' Dad, and my 'not at all religious' brother, have said right in front of me that all gay people should be lined up and shot.
    They have no idea that I'm gay, and deep down, I think if they did their opinion wouldn't change - to them, what the bible tells them is more important than what their own brains tell them. It's awful, and it's a shame that people is so closed minded and can't simply believe in love in all of its forms.:icon_sad:

18. madi

I'm an atheist myself and am no fan of any extremist religion, but Christian does not equal homophobic. Some Christians do not take the bible literally in all of its parts and instead use it as "guidelines". I have several friends who are Christian and yet they know I'm bi and go to GSA meetings with me and support same-sex marriage. You haven't talked to every Christian out there so be careful with your highly generalized and rather extremist statement about Christians since they make up about a third of the population and are diverse in their practice and beliefs.

19. Eatthechildren

If you don't think gay people deserve equal rights then yes you are homophobic you can be friends with homophobic people many of my friends are Trans*-phobic but they are well meaning and I am trying to educate them

20. FruitFly

Going against the grain...

... I really don't care if the individual/group views of someone of a particular religion deems homosexuality to be sinful. I don't care if they think it goes against the Bible, and I do not care if they believe Christians are to avoid engaging in homosexual acts. You know why I don't care? Because I do believe everyone has the freedom to believe what they wish to believe, and simply voicing an opinion that is built upon their interpretation of the Bible is not something I spend much time getting defensive about. The majority are very kind and compassionate in how they express their views, they do not believe in the death penalty for homosexuality and they are very clear that their view applies only to Christians and not those who do not believe. They are clear that their belief is not so much that homosexuality is wrong but acting upon it is, and they are clear that they view this in much the same light as pre-marital sex and in some cases, yes, eating pork and shellfish.

When I start caring is when this view is pushed upon others and goes beyond simply being an expression of beliefs and starts to become an attempt at forcing people to live in a way that adheres to their morals whilst blindly ignoring the fact that those who do not believe in God or indeed in their specific interpretation of Him are not obliged to live under their view of the world. I have problems when they become legalistic about certain issues and wishing them to be applied to the secular world while ignoring other issues which are mentioned far more frequently than any mention of anything vaguely connected with homosexuality.

When one is making malicious and hateful comments/behaviours regarding homosexuality (as shown by extremists with their picketing of funerals and actively beating individuals they assume are gay) then I consider them homophobes. When they simply expressed their opinion and have never said one malicious thing regarding homosexuality outside of the fact that they disagree with it due to their interpretation of scripture then I do not regard them as homophobes. They have a differing opinion, they live in a certain way and that is what they believe, but if they are not stomping about trying to force people to adhere to their beliefs then I think the hateful and frankly disrespectful comments they face from various individuals is unwarranted.

I am not someone who believes any amount of hate justifies hate. It is simply continuing a negative cycle which will not be broken until people wake up and realise that, actually, you can make a change without being as hateful as those whose hatred you have witnessed. Hate is unfortunately infectious, it spreads like wildfire and when enough people agree with the general sentiment it becomes acceptable. That is something that makes me sad.

I do think people are quick to shout bigot, homophobe, etc. and all too reluctant to truly understand the opposing point of view being presented to them, but then I'm probably biased.