1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the cheap binding

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by drwinchester, Apr 30, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Suppose I better get to the point. I'm looking to try and see if I can pass in public and while I'd like to splurge on a nice binder, I have neither the money or the nerve to keep it around the house.

I'm, thankfully, rather small in the chest area (though very curvy, that's another story) so would something like a good sports bra be serviceable as long as I made sure to wear somewhat baggy clothing? Or will I need to make something or otherwise get creative? And if sports bras are a good idea, what's a brand to look into?

2. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, if your wanting to go for the sports bra method, make sure it is one rated for maximum impact, it'll be the most "constricting".
    You may also want to try ace bandages, wraped around yourself.
    If it not too much trouble, what is the relative size your talking about binding? Are we talking A-cups, either large or small, or closer to B-cups? Because dependingon the size you are, a sports bra alone may cut it, but if they are too large, then a sports bra along with ACE bandages may work.
    To use the method of sports bra/ACE bandage you put on the sports bra and then wrap yourself with the Bandages.
    However, if you are looking for a binder, you can always look on Amazon or other online stores like EBay.
    Hope this helps

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't bind with ace bandages. They can cause serious damage to your ribs.
    Sports bras are decent, and you might also want to look into the kind of compression underwear that comes up over your stomach - you can cut out the crotch and wear it around your chest, over a sports bra. Underworks are the cheapest options for a proper binder I've seen, at $30 each, if you can stretch to that.
    Take a look at Hudson's Guide here.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I know everyone is so apprehensive with the Ace bandage idea, but for a temporary gig, I see no problem. Be smart, use common sense and not bind so tight that it constricts your breathing. (I had to just use the standard wrap around bandage for about a week before I could afford an actual binder and no damage was done, anyway most seem to bind way too tight which looks unrealistic anyway since cis-males aren't completely flat in their chest area either.)

The sports bra method works if you can double two, or maybe wear one and then use an Ace bandage around it. Baggy tees are always going to be helpful in this situation.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Bandages are probably out of the question- I'm not sure how I'd be able to explain coming home with a roll of Ace and compression sports bras AND I rather like my ribs intact. :wink: That being said, I can afford a binder, it's just keeping it discreet that's the issue. I'm still closested and I happen to live in a large family (still living at home) so someone stumbling upon a binder will lead to questions I'm not ready to answer just yet. But when I'm either out and/or on my own, I'll definitely look into going for an Underworks or some other decent binder.

So sports bras are a good option? Probably would need multiple ones- I'm about a C cup. And compression underwear- would that be easily found at a Target/Sporting Goods store?

But thanks so far, y'all.

6. Hexagon

I used to use duct tape before I got binders. I'm not sure if that is dangerous though. I never had any problem, and neither did the guy I got the idea from.

As for the sports bra idea, I heard you're supposed to wear one inside out, and the other the right way, on top of eachother. I think the one that is the right way goes on the inside, but I might be wrong so try both.

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Never heard of that before, but will try it. Sounds like it'd help, shapewise though I don't usually wear sports bras.

And I suppose I'll try the tape thing. Should I have a tank or cami underneath when I try it or is it okay on bare skin?

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Underworks double-front pretty much looks like a tank top, so I doubt it'd cause much concern if someone spotted it. You could wash it in the sink or shower if you'd rather family not see it, and fold it up with some T-shirts when you're not wearing it.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Okay, that I can do. I'll definitely look into it, especially since it looks innocuous enough.