1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Everyone's a little bisexual"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, May 1, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, so a girl at my school today was saying that everyone's a little bi. Am I the only one who really hates when someone says this? I feel that it dismisses bisexuals (and all multisexuals), as well as basically calling all gay people liars. So, when people say this, what do you think of it?

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol she was straight i guess.Some straight people know nothing about sexual orientations and stuff,because they simply dont search about it,why they should anyway?If youre straight your straight.Dont listen to everyone lol,because everyone will talk like an expert but in reality they know nothing.

3. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    I always go with the thought, there is no black or white but shades of grey.

But most of society are one end or the other.

4. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Honestly I have to agree wih her. I dont believe that sexuality is black and white. Maybe being pansexual makes me a bit biast in this discussion, but i still believe that sexuality can be quite fluid for a lot of people

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It's still erasing people's experiences and telling people, "I know what goes on inside your head better than you do," hidden in a pseudo-accepting message. It's BS, in other words. I have only ever been attracted to men, and for someone to say, "Everyone's a little bisexual," is saying that I'm wrong in my knowledge of myself. And that's really presumptuous.

Your sexuality might not be black and white, but that doesn't mean everyone's isn't black and white. Being that I'm exclusively gay, I could be biased towards saying that everyone is either gay or straight, and that sexual IS black and white. But that would be erasing your experiences and the experiences of all multisexuals, so I know better than to do that.

6. Bolin

No. I am definitely, 100% positive, swear-on-my-grandmother's-grave sure that I am absolutely, positively, unequivocally gay.

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have no sexuality at all. Where do I fit in this 'everyone-is-bi' theory?

8. June Cleaver

I am strickly dickly! I have never in the nearly 41 years of life, had a sexual thought about another woman, nor kissed one, or anything. So no lesbian at all in me. I started with boys when I was in the sixth grade and will die with a man by my side. When people say that, they are wrong at least in my case. June

9. Hefiel

I don't agree with the idea, but it's an interesting subject. I wonder if Freud was alive today how he would think about this. His original opinion between 1905-1922 was that all humans were born bisexual, and that homosexuality and heterosexuality both developed from this bisexuality.

He was at least one of the more intelligent psychiatrist who did not believe homosexuality to be a pathology, which was a bit uncommon around that time, considering homosexuality was only removed from the list of Pathologies of the APA in 1973.

10. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that there is only homosexuality,heterosexuality and bisexuality.There isnt something bisexual on Homosexuals or Heterosexuals.Ill sound cliche but to me there is black or white sexual orientation.Ive been gay for years from when i was a little kid,i never get even 1% the feeling that i like a girl.

11. Reptillian

The assumption came from observation that there are people who enjoyed sex that does not align with their sexual orientation identity. So yes, the hypothesis can explain why. The problem with the hypothesis is that it literally ignores reasons to have sex other than sexual attraction.

@gayandhappy: You're erasing asexuality and the experience of people that had gray components to their sexuality. For the records, asexuals exist.

#11 Reptillian, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  12. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see it as dismissing all multisexuals since if everyone were it would still be cool, but no, I don't agree of course. I think enough people have tried to like like the opposite sex/gender to know this isn't possible/true.

13. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My boyfriend always said that being straight only lasts for a few drinks. He made love to plenty straight men once they were drunk.
    But ofcourse that doesn't mean they suddenly change orientation...

I can understand how people think that everybody is a bit bi, because many get a taste of it, but orientation is not defined by just making out with somebody.

My boyfriend physically gets sick when he thinks of having to touch a boob or vagina. Even when he is drunk. He is really as gay as they get. Never ever had a girl.

I really never gave it any thought what it would be like with a girl, I don't think it would make me vomit, but I've never seen girls as dating material. I've always known I fell for guys.

14. Fiddledeedee

Just because there are shades of gray doesn't mean black and white can't exist.

(Please don't take that too literally, since that erases non-binary genders and asexual people. I can't think of another metaphor at the moment, though.)

15. Hefiel

That actually made me wonder a little, and I'll probably never know the real answer until Time Travel exists but, (Male) Homosexuality was pretty common in various civilizations prior to the influence of Judaism and Christianity. So common that it was part of whole societal structures in Ancient times, whereas the role of woman strictly boiled down to making kids and watching over them.

Taking animals for example, scientists have observed over 1,500 species of animals that exhibit homosexual behavior, and also reproduce with the opposite sex when the season comes.

It makes me question exactly just how big of a role does society play in influencing a person's sexual preference. Perhaps there is a certain element of truth that bisexuality is very common, but mixed with societal pressure, this could polarize a complete gender group to feel attraction strictly to the opposing group. There is no logical reason to despise homosexuality, but society has dictated it to be wrong and thus the thought of homosexuality is met with disgust and fear. How many of these citizens would actually be bisexuals or even homosexuals had society viewed sexuality with neutrality? We'll likely never know, but it's an interesting question.

Edit: Ugh, great. Now it looks like I'll be pondering about this all day now. /facepalm

#15 Hefiel, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are two ends and plenty in the middle, right?

17. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good one, actually. :slight_smile:

18. MichaelB

I think societal conditions represses a lot of sexuality. I mean, stating the obvious there aren't I? But what I mean is that I think there are loads more 'straight' people that are in fact a little bisexual.

I'm not saying ALL straight people are bisexual, and I'm not saying ALL gay people are bisexual. Some people, probably the large majority of people, are simply gay or straight and their sexuality can be classified as black or white.

But I do honestly believe that society represses a lot of sexual urges, and as such bisexuals are the demographic that are most heavily effected. If you enjoy genuine sexual pleasure from the opposite sex, it's far easier to hide your attraction to your own gender.

I mean, I don't know about you but I have a fair amount of friends that if they were born in a more accepting culture, they would be bisexual, but instead repress it to blend in.

I have a female friend who basically said she did consider herself attracted to females but wouldn't act on it. When asked why, she said she didn't want to deal with the 'complications' of a lesbian relationship. In the same notion, I have a male friend who says honestly some of the most homo things going, yet when questioned about his sexuality he gets very defensive. At the same time, he also acts very straight, so I don't deny that he doesn't have attraction for ladies, simply that he represses his possible attraction to men.

TL : DR, if our culture suddenly became very, very accepting of homosexuality, I would imagine the bisexual population would rocket.

Edit:

This says everything I was trying to say in a far more concise manner. Kudos! Haha ;p

19. CarrotSticks

Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I would get kinda upset.. :/
    Since most of the people who she said are "bi" are the people who judge bisexual people and stay away from them..
    But we can't really say anything more.. since it is their mouth, so I would probbably just nod slowly and say "Riiiiggghhhtt..."

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As one who identifies as bi, I'm not offended by it. If anything it justifies using that description, showing that it is a very astute observation about oneself.

On the other hand, it's not 100% accurate either. While it may be that everyone has at least a *little* attraction to both sexes or any others, it doesn't always make sense to acknowledge it. If a married man had one gay experience in middle school, it doesn't mean he's willing to have another when he's thirty. So even while he may look fondly back on it, he's still effectively straight. :wink: