1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L o v e

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Absol, May 1, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A couple of years ago, I had to write three essays for a English class I was taking. The topic of all three was Love with an underlining topic for each paper: What is Love?, What is Not Love?, and Love in General. I honestly hated this assignment because I found writing three different papers on a topic that is slightly different to be very redundant and boring. Though, I still did pretty well on the first two, but when it got the last one, I was so burned out on it that I just reused ideals from my first two papers. My teacher didn't like that I did that, but she never said we couldn't so I got a C on that one.:rolle:

Though now, I look back on the question "What is Love?" and I actually think it would be an interesting topic to discuss and to see other people's opinions. So, what do you think love is? Are there different kinds of love? Why do us humans strive for love? I'm really interested to see atheists' views on this subject.

When I wrote those papers, I had a very dark view on the subject due to me struggling with my sexuality and the fact I pretty much hated myself. I thought love was just a human concept that we formed to combat the fear of being alone. To paraphrase, I pretty much thought love was just a false emotion, that no one really is "in love", that people form this connection so they won't be alone.

Though now, my views have changed. I firmly believe that you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else, and when I realized that, I think I could finally answer truthfully. True love is this sort of super happiness that could only be obtained from another living thing or deity. I also don't think there's different types of love, there's only one true love, I can explain if you want. Finally, why do us humans strive for it? Well, to put it simply, it's happiness, it makes us feel good to be loved from someone.

That's my take on the subject and I look forward to what other people have to say.:slight_smile: Also thanks for reading!

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well im agnostic which means im not really sure about religion.But to tell you for sure i believe in Science.
    Anyway about love,to me love is a complex of feelings,we need love,everyone needs love and trust me those who say they dont,they deeply do and more than the others.To me love is give and take,i give you love,you give me love and we both love each other,its important to me to know that someone loves you as much as you love him,its the most important thing to have a partner someone who will be there for you and care about you,and all those things will make you to want to give the same feelings to him back.There are different types of love,you can love someone without letting them know,you can love someone in many ways,friendly,brotherly,motherly,like the feeling you get when you want to protect someone etc.I cant say that there is one and only true love because i havent feel it yet and i couldnt talk about something i never had some interaction with,but i believe that sometimes we find people in our lives that is thaat someone we looked for,and deep inside we have that feeling.

Something else,i believe that there is no need of marriage to show your love to someone,love isnt about such a bond,loves real bond,is something more than the bond of the marriage,marriage to me doesnt mean anything.If you love someone you need no titles of wife/husband,you just give everything to your lover and live your life.

I agree to the part that you have to love yourself first,because if you dont love yourself it reflects to the others.

Love to me is a bond,an invisible bond that never breaks.Because real bonds are forever.
    It could be a false emotion if you rush it,or youre immature to feel love.But it comes a moment to our life that we know that is love,we know we are inlove.

It was a nice question that i enjoyed answering. :slight_smile:

3. CarrotSticks

Out Status:
    A few people
    Love..... I guess it would be hard to describe?
    Haha, I'm not really good with fancy words... But from what I see, Love is a feeling. It's not a thing you can just throw around by saying "I love you" without any feelings..
    Love is sacred, and love is pure. Especially if it's your first love, because your first love would be one that you would remember forever.

Even if you're bi, gay, les, There is still Love in our world. Even if it may be hard or impossible. This is why it works.

Love has no gender, love has no views. People can fall in love. But who knew they'd fall in love with someone of the same gender? Maybe even if they were interested in people of the same gender, who cares? It's Love.
    Thats why there are people who are in denial. There are people in the world who try to deny it so hard and so much that they are gay, or les. But it's always impossible to run away from yourself.

Love.. is really important. Without love, mankind(women also included lol) would probably be in despair.. :/
    Remember the story of Pandora's Box? Love is just like Hope. Without it, mankind is doomed to eternal darkness.

well.. at least that's what I think... >w<;;;

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, what do you think love is?

I believe that love is the most powerful emotion on this planet. During it, you will feel every emotion imaginable. Unlike most, I believe that love opens our eyes to who someone really is. (TRUE love, not "abusive love") We see the good in that person, like we should with everybody. We are effected by the chemicals in our brain... giving us a high similar to being on cocaine. However that fact does not negate that we are willing to die for this person once the high slowly wears off.

Are there different kinds of love?

All sorts. Storge- affection; Phileo- friendship; Eros- romance; Agape- unconditional.

Why do us humans strive for love?

We naturally crave affection. We have been given the large capacity to love if we let ourselves. We all long to be accepted and bond with another human being, and when that need isn't reached (our physiology also desires sex like it desires food so without a partner we may feel "starved") we may feel isolation and despair. Feelings nobody wants.

5. Eatthechildren

Love is when you can be apart physically and still be able to tell what they're feeling. When you feel more like one person than two.

6. June Cleaver

I have found this true. I thought I was in love once between the ages of 22 and 24, but it was nothing close to the first time Mike's eyes met mine. Love is spiritual, it happens when two spirits know eachother and have a special bond to your soul. It has nothing to do with looks, money, or anything in the physical world. 4 years went by between the first meeting of our eyes and us becoming a couple. My heart longed for him and no man could break the spell. I thought we could never be. He could not accept my body being I was told he was violently homophobic. I will never forget that first day he let me know he wanted me. The joy in my heart was intense and I floated on a cloud that has only gotten higher. I had no idea he thought the same way about me and was afraid to talk to me too but got the courage after 4 years to fineally talk to me about it.

Sex with a person you truely are in love with is the most intense experence every time. We seem to be growing closer and closer. He performs with me much diffrent than with the cis women in his life from what he has said which has been rare for him to mention. Like last Tuesday he had off work and we spent the day together and by 1:00 we had broken his record amazing even him and we ended the session with really intense natural highs, and we then spent hours outside enjoying nature high as the heavens. I thought it was so sweet when he went to our hunnysuckell growing on the fence and fed me and then himself the necter one at a time. The experence was as sweet as the nectar. No man has ever shared anything like that with me, so simple but so loving.

The connection between us suprises me all the time, I can read his mind all the time. I seem to know when he craves food for example and desires as well. Recently I broke it off with him over the only problem we have had and he lost it. I did too really. Fineally about two weeks later I knew something was wrong so I answered the phone on a Friday morning after one million calls I ignored and he was so sick with the flu really bad and it had hit him hard burning up with fever having trouble breathing. I knew he was sick before I answered the phone. The night before I had a bad feeling late at night and I knew he was in danger. I sat by the phone the next morning thinking Mike call me sick with fear and it rang quickly, like in a min or two. So I took him back and nursed him to health which he responded quickly over the next few days. It seemed the moment he knew I still loved him and wanted him it just made some diffrence and his body started fighting. He recovered with my tender loving care faster than I have ever seen someone do. Love is that powerfull! It can make you or break you!

Well enough rambling! If you have not found your true love yet, trust me when I say life is amazing again like when you are a young kid again in your mother's arms safe and secure with that warm and fuzzy feeling. Simple things amaze you, your body feels so new and fresh, it is like all is right! I just hate I had to wait till 36yo for it to happen and 40yo to get him.... June