1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ~know~?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by damn liar, May 3, 2013.

1. damn liar

So I'm reading about how gay people just ~knew~ they were gay all their life and I'm freaking out, because I don't know that I knew when I was a kid. I can remember feeling different than other, but I think I always viewed that in a more 'everyone's different and unique' kind of way.

And for some reason I start to think that it means that I'm not a 'real' gay, or that this is just a phase. >.< And it's especially frustrating since I've got to the place where I don't even want to be straight anymore - I'm sorry, but two guys kissing is way, way hotter than a hetero couple. And I also don't think I'd over analyze everything if it wasn't for religion and society being mostly against homosexuality.

So, yeah. Can anyone relate?

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    There are different ways to describe ''I just new it'' There is no chance every gay person to feel the same when they were kinds.Well myself,when i was a little kid i felt fear because i knew something was wrong on me,i never liked girls at school or anything,but i didnt know how to describe it.There is no less gay,or a phase since you were born gay and you never liked girls.It would be a phase if you were bisexual,some bisexual people,live as bisexuals for long time and then they decide which gender they like more,and then they identify as gays or lesbians.Relax you are gay,you dont have to feel like everyone else,everyone takes his/her feelings on their own way.

3. NeatlyOrganized

Don't stress if you like penis, butts, and kissing guys odds are you're gay. There is no just a phase. Gay is gay, and it's far from a choice, enjoy dick. I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but you're reading to much into it, if you're gay you're gay take it easy dude.

4. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah dont be afraid,you have a big rainbow like all gays have and we are fabulous ^^

5. riahf

I didn't start to question my orientation until last October, it doesn't mean that I'm going through a phase, it just means that I didn't have any reason to question my orientation until recently. Don't worry, you aren't any less gay because you haven't known it your whole life, some people just start to notice the signs later than others.

6. NeatlyOrganized

I didn't know I liked men until i was at least 12 or 13 and even then i lied to myself about it for a few years, and after that I lied to everyone i knew about it for a year or two.

7. This is why I hate 'gay'. Nobody understands it, and people try and give it requirements, categories, whatever - none of it is true. I really wouldn't recommend calling yourself gay; it's counter-productive and gives the wrong idea. Clearly, it's not so clear cut as that. You just are who you are. Stop trying to find a pre-determined concept that fits you like a glove; one doesn't exist. Don't be gay, just be.

8. Jordz

I personally didn't know till I was about 12. Maybe its just cause I didn't know what the word gay meant till then so didn't think it was me, maybe I always knew just never understood what I was.

I wouldn't worry, everybody is different.

9. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't really know I was into guys until I was 21, so I also don't have this sort of "I've always known" experience. I mean, from the point at which sexuality was a thing that I started to pay attention to (so high school-ish, 13-14 years of age), I was able to deduce that I wasn't really striaght (ladies did nothing for me), but there was nothing on the other end for a long timet, either. It certainly wasn't a "I was five years old and I was all over the guys", though.

10. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Same here, but I was 11.

Before then, I don't think I'd even heard the word let alone knew what it meant. Once I knew what it was, I knew that it described me.

11. Femmeme

No, I liked being around women and seeing their bodies made me feel weird, but I never connected those things with attraction or being a lesbian. They way people I grew up around thought and talked about gay people made them seem like this weird alien thing... like not really human? I knew I wasn't THAT so I never considered that I could be gay. I assumed everyone picked who they had a "crush" on in this rational manner where you looked at the people available and picked the one that made the most sense. That when people talked about getting "butterflies" around someone that they must mean that sick, uncomfortable feeling I got when I tried to flirt or be affectionate with guys. I completely misinterpreted EVERYTHING I was feeling to fit into the heteronormative box. I labeled discomfort as attraction and attraction as fear. So no, I absolutely did not "always know." I may have always felt weird and out of place, but I had no clue WHY.

12. BornInTexas

I didn't know until I was about fourteen or fifteen. Don't stress over it. Everyone feels a little different at different times. Maybe they were the ones looking into it more when they were younger. I wasn't even exposed to a gay person until 10th grade.

13. damn liar

Thanks for the replies guys, they really help! ^_^

I'm honestly thinking it'd be beneficial to go into some kind of therapy, because the way I over-think and over-analyze everything and their effects are just mind boggling.

On the other hand though, I just told my best friend (who I only know online, though) that I'm gay and she's supportive and accepting and she said she'd be there when I have doubts or am afraid. ^_^

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I guess that's how I'm feeling right now about being trans*. I feel like it might just be a phase but I've always felt off about myself and just don't want to live through life as being a cis woman. Whole life, grew up without ever knowing another trans* person, my only exposure being negative portrayals of transgender women- It wasn't until I got involved in feminism and my ex came out as genderqueer that I ever really dared to question my gender. I wonder if it's just me overthinking things but I remember how fascinated I was with gender switching, being "one of the guys", rejecting every attempt made on me to be more of a girly girl, etc.

So trust yourself. You're probably on the money.

15. damn liar

@littlememphis:

That's precisely how I feel as well! I don't even know when I was introduced to the concept of gay, but it was after I hit the double digits and I still haven't met any gay (or openly gay) person IRL.

I think the key word in our cases is: overthinking.

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. I've gotten to the point where it's like if you want to be a trans* guy just so you can go on T and be a guy, something's up. :wink:

17. Foxface

I'm 33 and just now getting that I am bi. I can say I always felt different as a kid (attracted to guys and girls) but I never really put two and two together.

I wouldn't worry that you feel this way

I am a classic over analyzer and I feel the same way. "I am bi...do I really belong talking to this community as a peer?"

It's already been made quite obvious to me that I do...and you do as well

be yourself friend

Foxface

18. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Well I didn't know about my feelings for girls until 15, for guys 18. Am I less of a bisexual then? Hell no. These feelings I have now are real, regardless of past feelings / lack thereof / confusion.

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know I was asexual until I was 15. In retrospect it's obvious, but I had no idea what sexual attraction was, so I didn't realize I was faking attraction I didn't feel.

20. NeatlyOrganized

Asexual huh? Doesn't that word refer to an organism that can reproduce, and the only thing necessary are its own genitalia? I didn't realize it also covered a sexual preference. I didn't realize human being could be asexual under my assumed definition of it as a sexual preference either. Care to explain, and if not openly in the thread through a pm? I'm genuinely interested and curious. You don't have to if you don't like but i'd appreciate it for real.