1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unfriended for supporting Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, May 5, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, but since changing my Avatar on FB to the Red box containing the Equal sign in support of Gay Marriage, 5 people have unfriended me, as I have over 500 people on my FB, I am not sure who the 5 are :slight_smile:

2. Hexagon

Be glad. You wouldn't have wanted to be friends with them in the first place.

3. Sully

FARKING HELL!

That is unbelievable!

Exactly. Saves you the hassle of culling friends. I frequently give my friendship tree a good prune. You don't want dead wood like that hanging around :slight_smile:

4. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i am so thankful that this has never been a problem for me and will never be a problem for me , as a member of the Rave community for the last 14 years all my friends come fromt he rave community and some of the greatest people i have ever met and half of them are lgbt themselves and the other half are straight allies, you would be very hard pressed to find anyone in the rave community that is anti gay , raves were built because of how people were treated in mainstream society , it was and is a place where anyone can come and be loved and accepted for who they are no matter what. I am so lucky to have amazing friends .

5. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    ugh that kind of people are just pathetic.Dont mind them seriously they dont deserve your friendship anyway,some people are way too homophobic in a pathetic-low leveled point.Which reflects many things about them.Anyway,personally ill always be who i am no matter what,even all my friends delete me or something.I just want to be ok with myself.

6. Beware Of You

Meh it happens, I was kinda feeling happy and stuff and put "You know, I am so happy being a gay guy" on my FB, and then this girl put "Its Disgusting" and then unfriended me. I don't care at all, pleased to see the back of her

7. EddyG

yeah do you really want to be "friends" with someone who would do that anyway? I've just lost a few "friends" (including some actual relatives) over some other political issues, and my attitude is, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Especially on this issue, my feeling towards people like that is a big fu. So congrats on cleaning up your friends list!

8. JPC

JPC Guest

How long ago did you change it? If it was recent and you've lost 5 all of a sudden then that's probably the reason. If it was a while ago I wouldn't read too much into it because I delete friends all the time, particularly if their profile pic is something that grabs my attention. I kind of realise I don't really know that person at all and don't know why I'm friends with them on it so I delete them, so maybe it's perfectly innocent.
    On the other hand, my close friends seem to be dropping like flies since I started to slowly come out so maybe it is just a few ignorant people who just don't like gay people.

9. Jordz

Don't worry about it, if they don't like you for who you are then you don't need them in your life

10. If they don't like you for supporting gay rights, no point in being friends with them in the first place.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Don't let the door f*** you in the ass on the way out." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Stoical

I wouldn't worry too much about it. There's a difference between "FB friends," which often are just random strangers that we have there to inflate our Friends count, and "actual friends." My sense is that if you're not even sure which are the ones that dropped you, then they probably fit into the former category. But either way, you've culled 5 potentially* bigoted people from the list. :icon_wink

*assuming they dropped you because of Equal sign.

13. Hefiel

I've been trying to find a way to post something very similar to you, but temporarily decided against it until I found a "nicer" way to put it. I tend to be a little too straightforward and usually people think I'm being rude when it's not my intention, whereas your post is just right.

Oh well, I 100% agree with it.

14. Obscurity

It's good to regularly cut dead weight from all areas of your life. If someone has s problem with what you stand for, they aren't very good friends, are they? :slight_smile:

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might just be a few peeps have deactivated their account temporarily too!

I've done it a few times when particularly busy, and I've had a few friends texting me wondering if they've done something wrong as they think i've unfriended them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Forget about them. :wink: I was unfriended by a Bible Thumper (in all fairness she was an otherwise nice person who was homeschooled and a hobbyist baker like me so I bit my tongue until she started quoting Leviticus). And now since she's not spamming my newsfeed with Jesus pics, I can look over my newsfeed without wanting to weep for humanity.

17. HP7465213

I love this whole message. Totally describes one of my FB friends!

18. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for everyone's input on here, I will keep my avatar on FB & see if anybody else unfriends me :slight_smile:

19. Huh, thats not very nice, well your better off without them as friends if they have unfriended you for something as simple as that

20. Those that mind don't matter. Stay strong and proud! :slight_smile: