1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you go out with your best friends brother/sister?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CrimsonThunder, Apr 10, 2008.

1. CrimsonThunder

I just found out that this guy I know is my best friends brother and I think hes heaps hot... But I wouldn't be able to go out with him because I feel it would make my friendship with my friend awkward.

Does any feel like this or are you different?

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

In my life that's completely against the rules. You don't form relationships with in your circle, so brothers and sisters are off-limits. Relationships are from outside the circle.

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I slightly disagree with Heatqueen - as in, in theory, it's ok, as people can't help who they fall in love with and it can sometimes work, as I've seen.

But in practice I tend to agree with her, as I think it can be disasterous. What happens if you break up, and it's nasty? You always have to ask yourself what happens if the breakup is nasty. Remember that people will tend to side with their siblings, so you could lose your friend.

That said, if you're all mature and think this won't be a problem, and your friend doesn't mind, then go for it - all I know is that I would think at least twice before dating within my circle of friends or their relatives. But it could work, and if you really think your relationship with your friend would not be affected, then I suppose it's ok. I would just tread very carefully - but this is just my opinion!!

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^Ok so *admittedly* if you genuinely love each other, those kind of relationships could work. However, I've seen people get *ruined* by them. In my mum's friend circle, disasters have happened because people tried to hit on their friends and stuff, even people who are already married. From what I've seen, it would be extremely difficult to make it work.

5. Helen

Helen Guest

Yes, most unfortunately, I've had to accept that it wouldn't work. I've had a bit of a crush on the older brother of one of my best friends for ages (heatqueen knows EXACTLY who I'm talking about), and I can't possibly go out with him, because his sister would kill me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. JSG

JSG Guest

Yep, one of my friends was madly in love with my sister, she wasn't. One day a friend told me they were going out wit each other, I found it weird and asked her why she was dating him. She replied 'Why not ?' :eusa_doh:
    4 days later she broke up with him by saying 'If you never taste the apple, you won't know if you'll like the flavor' :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:
    Poor little guy was crushed...
    It was never awkward between Tom and me but it was between him and my sister after that.
    As with any relationship if both are really in love then they should go for it, brother or no brother.
    At least that's how I see it..

7. davo-man

In most cases, no

However, if you guys are perfect for each other, then I don't think that sibling relationship should get in the way of it. However, you must get the sibling's permission first. It would be a big mistake for the sibling to hear about you guys going out from someone else

8. Jeimuzu

*shrugs* Whatever, so long as they're not your direct family it's fine with me. Mind you, the way my friends are, they wouldn't mind, I imagine. If I had a best friend with a gay brother, that best friend would probably just be happy for us.

It really depends on the type of relationship, though. If it's the sweet cute cuddles-all-round type (my favourite!) then it'd be fine. I think if it was a very sexual relationship, people might get awkward. But meh.

There's no rules with us. If you want to date within your friends, go for it. If you're both wanting it, then there's no point doing otherwise.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Would depend on the person and what kind of friend they were :slight_smile:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having had quite a bit of first-hand experience with how hard it is to find people I find interested in dating, I'm not going to let the fact I'm friends with someone they're related to stop me from pursuing someone. I mean yes, it would make it much more complicated in a certain respect (i.e. especially if we broke up) but seriously love and any kind of serious relationship interest are so incredibly rare--it doesn't grow on trees, people. I mean maybe it seems like that when you're younger but in terms of actual people you think you might be truly compatible with (as opposed to just hot for)? It's something you would be stupid to rule out because of something like knowing someone they're related to.

And getting someone's permission? I'm sorry... my sister isn't my keeper and I'm definitely not hers. The notion that you would have to ask someone's relatives permission to date them is ridiculous. The only time I would consider asking X whether I could date Y would be if X and Y had dated relatively recently and I were good friends with X.

11. wildncgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've done it before and it was no problem. I had a friend in high school that I hung out with a lot and I developed a relationship with her brother. She didn't mind, BUT it made making seperate plans to spend time with each person kind of a contest.

12. wildncgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

I totally agree!!!:thumbsup: :eusa_clap

13. Jim1454

I agree. Mucking around for 4 days (as in another example above) is a little silly, but if there is the possibility for a meaningful relationship with someone, it would be crazy to pass it up.

The fact is, you're friends with someone because you can relate to them (quite likely because of culture, economic status, education, language, etc.). And if you can relate to them, you'll likely also be able to relate to their sibling! And if their sibling happens to also be into you, then how great is that? Then your best friend also gets to be your brother / sister-in-law!!! :icon_bigg

14. Tim

Tim

Well, IF I had a best friend anymore, I would say depends. If I liked him, and he liked me, I'd talk to my friend. If he/she didn't want me to, then I wouldn't.

15. CerahWright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    being with friends would be weird, not while you were together but if it didnt work out. but siblings of friends!?!?!? no. i don't think you should even go there, i mean if they are hot then fine they are hot, but idk i think that'd be weird. i can never see myself doing that. but i won't hold it against anyone else if they do.

16. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same with me, I would have to ask first. Otherwise things would be....well awkward...:confused:

17. spazz33

spazz33 Guest

haha agreed