1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today On Dr Phil

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by katmando, Apr 10, 2008.

1. katmando

Thought some of you might be interested. From the shows website

Thursday 4/10/08

Randall and Shawn were happily married until Shawn found gay magazines in her husband's bag. Now Randall is out of the closet, and he’s struggling to keep his family together. Shawn wants to know if they should stay married for their two pre-teen children or get a divorce.

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if a guy marries someone named "Shawn," that might be a sign that he's gay.

:slight_smile:

And without listening to that pompous blowhard, I think it's pretty clear that if he's gay and she's a woman, they should divorce. People are quite capable of having amicable divorces and sharing custody of their children. From everything I've heard/experienced it's much better to divorce when the children are younger (as opposed to waiting until they're in their teens). If they don't divorce then neither one of them are going to be able to have satisfying emotional/sexual lives unless they're committing adultery.

Staying married "for the children" is about the stupidest choice parents make. I should know--I'm the product of a family like that.

3. Jim1454

I don't think I've ever watched a Dr. Phil show... But this would be interesting if only because I can certainly relate to the situation.

If Dr. Phil has any suggestions other than - as Joey has already suggested - YES, get a divorce and don't stay together for the sake of the children, then HE needs to see a therapist. Being married is about having a spouse. Being a parent is about having kids. You don't need to be married to be a great parent. And in some situations, you're better off NOT to be married for the sake of the kids.

I've missed it, but I'll maybe watch for a rerun... Thanks for pointing it out, Justin!

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Turns out Randall and Shawne are PFLAG members down in California. Shawne is the woman.

5. Jim1454

You've already watched it? Cool!

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, I haven't watched it but I got an e-mail from my PFLAG list saying that they had taped it a year ago and it was just now airing. It kind of sounded like they are still together.

7. Leigh

Leigh Guest

why is there an assumption that staying together would be best for the children.

absolutely not. they should definitly split.

8. Micah

Staying together and acting like they are in love would definitely not be good for the children.

But living together, and acknowledging that they are not in love, but raising the children together in a loving environment...it could work? The parents would have to forfit some of their own happiness, but it seems that they are willing to do that anyway to help their kids.

9. My Names Ashlee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dont think it does anybody any good if you stay married if there is no love for the person yo uare married to.