1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Mind Straight People in Gay Bars unless...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Level75, May 5, 2013.

1. Level75

Today, on a group hike, I overheard some woman behind me talking about how she sometimes visits a gay bar I go to once a week for board games. She told the person she was talking to she wasn't a lesbian so I thought, "Ok, cool, one less homophobe in the world." Right? So I casually mentioned to her that I go there too sometimes.

Then she started talking about how she goes to Friday night karaoke and how they're always playing showtunes and "diva" music. She began going into how weird gay people are and how funny it is to watch them sing this music.

I didn't speak to her after that, but now I'm wondering if I should have been confrontational and said something like, "Do you really go there to sing karaoke or are you just going to watch the animals grazing in their natural habitat?"

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I don't go to gay bars, they're not my thing, but I've heard stories where my friends have gone and brought guys with them and the guys get legitimately mad when they're hit on by other guys. To which I respond:

BGC9 Erika Dances For Rima in Mexico...I Don't Understand - YouTube

...Like you had to know it was a gay bar. Why go and act shocked and offended when you get hit on. And even if they're just doing it for the girls again, you had to know in advance it was a gay bar.

3. Reptillian

@Phoenix: Depends on what you mean by hit on, I would more or less agree with you. If it being hit on sexually in a way that could be very uncomfortable, got to say, anger would be justifiable in such scenario as it's sexual harassment. I had been touched by some girls and few guys, very uncomfortable...

4. HeyAshley

gay bars are terrible. or maybe i just think that because i hate drag shows.

5. FemCasanova

I like gay bars. Probably because they play the kind of music that makes me feel nostalgic, plus it usually has a great relaxed atmosphere. You can make out with your GF to your hearts consent, without having to worry about irritating staring people, like in a lot of other bars. And I like to be in an LGBT crowd.