1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go on vacation this year.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, May 5, 2013.

1. starfish

I'm trying to decide when and where to go on my vacation this year. Figure I'll take 9 or 10 days.

I would like to visit Portland, Or but I think I am going to save that for a 3 day weekend. I also want to visit Australia, but I same saving that for when I can stay 2-3 weeks.

When I travel I like to just roam and explorer and visiting museums and parks. Ideas I've had in no order.

Somewhere in Alaska
    Montréal
    Halifax
    San Francisco
    Boston
    New York City

2. HeyAshley

if you're vacationing over the summer, i'd pick boston. just because you can go down to cape cod and literally have the best time of your life. i LOVE cape cod, god it's so much fun.

i've never been to alaska but that just seems kinda miserable. unless you're really into nature and the mountains and a lot of snow and weird daylight patterns. NYC is pretty cool, it's definitely somewhere you want to go at some point in your life but i just feel like going to NYC is so typical and mainstream.

you'd probably have a blast in san fran, gay capital.

3. BornInTexas

New York is a definite YES! I have never been, but I watch so many New York City videos that I could basically imagine myself being there. I'd reccommend going. :slight_smile:

Another place that is really nice for the summer is Murfeesboro, where you can dig for your own diamonds, AND KEEP YOUR FIND. I never found any though. >_>. It's a fun little town. :grin:

4. starfish

Yep, I've been to Murfeesboro before. Did the diamond thing, didn't find squat. I have family in Arkansas, so I've been all over western Arkansas. Usually make it up there once a year.

Boston and Cape Cod sounds interesting.

5. Alexander69

Montreal meh San Fran meh Halifax meh I don't know about Boston need been there and New York meh! All great choices I just didn't like them. I'm more of a tropical destination lover I have plan trees and hot hot weather and bright blue water! Hell ya! I would say Bahamas!

6. BudderMC

I've heard nothing but good things about Alaska - seems like a really cool place, I want to go sometime soon too.

If you head up to Montreal, check out (Old) Quebec City too. Historical landmarks (a general historical feeling), some museums, lots of cool little stores/restaurants. There's a waterfall somewhere around there too - not sure where, we went for a class trip but I was sick that day and missed out on the waterfall :frowning2:

7. Harve

I hear Helmand province gets some nice weather in August.

8. starfish

So I got some wonderful news today. I'm being furloughed for 40 hours next month. So I have a week off. WooHoo.

Figure why waste that time off around the house. I have the money saved for a trip so why not go somewhere.

I'm thinking San Francisco, but a week bumming around Alaska sounds like a blast also.

9. Candace

NEW YORK IS AWESOMEEEEEEE!

Native NYer here. You'll never become bored with this place. Trust me. There is SO MUCH to do!!

10. MixedNutz

I love NYC, but I'm going to have to go with Boston. I love to visit Boston. Many things to do there, plus Provincetown is a Must for the LGBT community.

11. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I love San fransissco and Newyork , didn't really enjoy Boston and montreals okay , I'm on my way to Alaska now so il let you know :slight_smile: , never been to Halifax , but I guess it depends what u wanna do there , i didn't enjoy Boston cause I'm not a musem /history Person but I that sounds appealing than great

12. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I'm not sure if you like going properly abroad. But you could go to the Mediterranean somewhere, or anywhere in Europe for that matter. Europe has lots of landmarks and museums, so you won't get bored. Or if you want to stay closer to home, the Caribbean? I'm not sure about sight-seeing there, but if you want a summer holiday, that would be a good place to go!

13. kylo

I'd definitely say Alaska or San Fran. Whichever you choose though hope you have a blast! :icon_bigg

14. Hexagon

You could always try google maps. Its cheaper.

15. starfish

Well the verdict is in. I'm going to San Francisco for a week. The deciding factor is there is a class I have been wanting to take that week.

Anyone familiar with the bus system in San Francisco? I'm trying to decide if I should rent a car or not.

16. RainbowMan

Depends on where you're staying and where you'll be going. If you plan to venture outside of SF proper, you'll need a car.

I do remember one time I was riding the Muni (the light rail type thing in the street) and the front of one car was completely empty - and there was EXTREMELY good reason for it to be in that condition. If I had been as hungover that morning as I was the next, I'm fairly certain that I would've lost my cookies. There was this homeless guy who reeked like I've never smelled anyone in my life. Makes me nauseous even thinking about it.

Strange thing is, I know that's a huge danger sign. I live in NYC for heaven's sake, I see (and avoid) inexplicably empty subway cars from time to time. Problem there is that if there's only one or two cars in the train, it makes it a lot harder to avoid.

17. starfish

/me makes a note to avoid the empty train cars.

My hotel is a mile from the class I am taking. So walking that is no problem. According to google there is a street car stop right near the hotel.

The hotel I am staying at does not have parking. What I might do is rent a for a day to explore the areas outside of San Francisco proper. Really it would be nice to not have to mess around with a car. Too bad San Francisco dosen't have Car2Go, that would be perfect.