1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this anxiety?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, May 6, 2013.

1. Alexander69

Ok so I just woke up I think i was having a nightmare but I don't remember, anyways I woke up short of breath like I was panicked and my heart was beating like crazy! I read of heart failure but I'm healthy I don't need to lose any weight I probably need to gain my ankles are not swollen and I don't have an irregular heart beat! I do suffer from anxiety and it can get really bad to the point where I am gasping for air and my body and hands feel prickly! But I'm scared I don't eat as much as I should and today I didn't eat all day and when I did I only and gnocchi for the carbs and that's it! I don't wake up like this a lot but it happens sometimes! What is it am I dying :frowning2: I'm scared

2. RedPowerRanger

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I been getting that due to personal family problems. Does it hurt in the middle top of the chest when you feel anxious? Breathing does effect this to. You also dream what you were or are anxious about. Are you Stressed or depressed to? Don`t worry it is normal what you are feeling.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Could be a Night Terror, I woke up once, convinced someone was trying to break in, it scared the life out of me & seemed so real, I went round checking all the doors & windows, i had to leave the light on, to go back to sleep!

4. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yr probably overthinking it & working yrself up over nothing

5. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well from the example you gave it just seems like you've been having nightmares and the panicking that comes with it. I wouldn't attribute it to any kind of heart problem or ailment, it more than likely sounds like you're very stressed.

Also when you start having hypochondriac thoughts, it will only make you more stressed. Just relax and try to not worry about this too much.

6. It sounds like your basic nightmare, it causes fear and panic the same thing can be said for night terrors but a bit more extreme its more like your over thinking it

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not dying. It's just run-of-the-mill anxiety. You've got a lot going on in your life that would be enough to cause some pretty major anxiety, so it's likely that when you are sleeping, your brain is processing some of those thoughts and making you anxious.

The next time you start to feel that coming on, just immediately start taking really big, deep breaths, and breathing really slowly. It will be a little difficult to do at first, to slow your natural breathing down, but if you just do that for about 15 or 20 seconds, your heart will start to slow down, your breathing will naturally slow, and the anxiety will start to go away. For most people, that works just as well -- and sometimes better than -- anti-anxiety meds.

8. Tylr

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably just a scary dream that made you go into a random panic mode , we've all been through it at least once. So no , not anxiety.

9. Music Madness

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It could be anxiety, or possibly some kind of sleep disorder like apnoeia?... The easiest way is for you to go see your doctor and they'll run some tests.

EDIT: People with sleep apnoeia will sometimes suddenly jerk awake, as the body needs a bit of a kick-start... it's usually not serious, and a large percentage of the population worldwide suffers from it (even though most people don't realize it).

#9 Music Madness, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013