1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you choose?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Emberblaze, May 6, 2013.

?

Did you choose to be gay? bi? lesbian? trans?... etc?

1. Yes, it was entirely my decision.

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Maybe I subconsciously pushed it on myself?

11 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. No, it wasn't my decision at ALL.

120 vote(s)
    80.0%
  4. ... I'm not sure really...

17 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Emberblaze

I was having a civilized debate with a friend of mine who isn't the biggest proponent of gay MARRIAGE out there. (he's FOR civil unions, not completely against gays, yadda yadda). And he mentioned a few times that being gay isn't a choice, and it really got me thinking...

So, IS it a choice? Sometimes, looking back on the day i first identified to myself as gay, it's hard for me to answer this question... I ID-ed as bisexual before I came to the conclusion that i'm gay, and sometimes I wonder if I just pushed myself towards the gay side?

I know it doesn't make that sense... Why would I and all that jazz? But I dunno... It makes me confused about if this really WAS my choice. Now, with that being said, I know for SURE that i've always been attracted to guys, what I was reffering to was the fact that it felt like I'd pushed myself from bi to gay...

Okay, i'm rambling, just cast your votes eh.

2. BornInTexas

I never chose. I simply realized that my attraction for men was significantly stronger for men than women. I identified as bisexual for a while because I was still hopeful that maybe I could get married or have children and make my parents happy.

But I started thinking, what would make ME happy? This was a process that took YEARS! Literally. Maybe I pushed myself to the gay side, but whatever. If it was a choice, then it was my choice, and a damn good one.

3. Ridiculous

I chose to accept it, which is completely different to choosing your orientation but easily mistaken for it.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

If I could have chosen, I would have chosen straight cis-male.

5. Emberblaze

Ya know what, i like the way you think man. You just totally cleared my head with this post. The part about identifying as bi for a few years (well, 3 for me) totally summed up my situation.

And i thought similarly like you about it being my decision, but I dunno, it just helps to hear it from someone else. So thanks man, well done :eusa_clap

6. Sapphy

No, I believe I was born this way.

7. Sully

Couldn't have said it better!

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't have chosen this if I had the choice! I've been fighting it for years but my attractions for the ladies just get stronger and stronger...

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am always careful, when telling others, to say that I had decided to accept being gay. It's a really important distinction.

10. hershey anershy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Me being attracted to both men and women is not a choice. Hell, if I could make a choice, I'd choose to only be attracted to one sex and stick with it, but then I would be living a lie, now wouldn't I.
    Accepting my sexuality was a choice, however. It was a tough choice. But I just couldn't ignore the way I felt around certain women, as well as men.

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely not. Though it took quite awhile for me to realise my sexuality, just because I don't think my sex drive is as strong as many of my peers [which made it confusing to understand the distinction between simply being fond of or admiring others and feeling deeper attraction.]

12. Hefiel

Pretty much this.

Especially since it prevented me from entering a relationship with a girl I really liked.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't at all choose to like guys as well as girls, but it didn't take long for me to embrace the idea fully.

14. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Why would anyone choose to be trans. If I could've decided my fate before my birth, I would've definitely chosen the straight cis-male package, thankyou very much.

15. Emberblaze

Heh i like all of you guys' posts, they're very reassuring for me ^^

16. Convoy

I would have chosen to be straight, Alas I'm not. It would have made a whole heck of things easier..

So yeah, being gay isn't really a choice but it's something I'm happy with all the same.
    Pretty much this.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really can't say for sure. I cannot recall having made a conscious choice. But, getting a little mystical for a moment, I remember one New Age guru saying that our spirits exist before conception, and we make choices based on the lessons we need to learn. A little too far out, perhaps...but I can't refute the possibility complete. And, at the same time, I know there are a lot of things I'm learning on this path that I would never have learned otherwise.

18. No but my interests definitely shifted.

When I was younger (6-7) I DEFINITELY had crushes on girls, I just didn't know that I had them. Later on (10-13) It was "I still like girls but dudes are good too, I don't think I'd date one." Then it became "Girls...OH those things clinging to the sides of all the cute guys I want to date!"

19. AKTodd

I chose to accept the offer when a guy hit on me. But I didn't choose the desire to accept the offer (if that makes sense).

Later, I concluded that I was gay based on the evidence to that point.

Todd

20. dazedanconfused

The only thing I really choose are my actions. I'd say I'm more turned on by women, at the moment, but that doesn't rule out how I choose to identify myself.

I've messed with guys and girls in my younger days. Then was predominantly interested in women. Didn't choose that either. Then more into a few guys, then into my gf's sister and tonight I began masturbating to a man taking me dressed as a woman and finished to banging my gf's sister... In an odd sort of way, I really didn't choose any of that. It's how I'm wired.

And if it confuses you, then welcome to my world.