1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna be a chef

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, May 6, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Hiya how was everyone's weekend? Mine was boring except I saw a sexy fiat and tesla car , anyway I wanna be a chef and I don't know how to get into it . Culinary school is expensive ,I'm only 19 yrs old I want a life of my own but how do I do that ? My mom thinks l'll get raped in a restaurant ugh !!! Plz I need everyone's input !!!

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These days, where "knowledge work" can be done by some guy in Shanghai or India for half or less of what you would cost. It is a good strategy to go into a trade that simply can't be outsourced, and hey, everyone's gotta eat, and besides, the proportion of people who eat what they have cooked themselves has dropped by about 50% in the last 15 years...

You would be amazed at the true "knowledge work" that is involved in making a superb dish...

3. funkeln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Working in a restaurant is not easy, has terrible hours, worse than terrible pay curve, and is uncomfortable (always hot and greasy, always standing). I worked in a busy italian restaurant for three years in the kitchen. When I started I wanted to be a chef, when I quit I said HELL NO.

But, you really need to try it out for yourself if you are interested in it. I know a girl who got her bachelors degree in biology then decided to go work as a chef and she loves it (she works in a hotel).

Also, culinary school is very over-priced considering the low-end income you will have and not -nearly- as important as work experience. Best thing to do is get any job in a kitchen that you can and start learning and working your way up the ranks, thats how it works in the culinary industry. my boss laughed at the idea of hiring someone with a culinary arts degree

#3 funkeln, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. BudderMC

Wait, what?

That seems really nonsensical to me. I feel like in a kitchen is one of the least likely places anyone would get raped, ever. First because people should be busy in there (and food should be coming out, so people would know if you weren't working), second because it isn't exactly a spacious area, and thirdly because there's knives/general defense items scattered everywhere.

5. Ticklish Fish

given that a kitchen has many more hazard to injure you or bleed you, getting raped would be the last thing on my mind.

"INCOMING HOT WATER"

"GREASE COMING!"

6. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

That's what I said lol