1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socially awkward anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hopeful, May 6, 2013.

1. Hopeful

Hey!

So I think I'm pretty socially awkward sometimes. Anyone else feel the same?

Let me explain a little more: I was homeschooled all my schooling years and now I'm 20. I haven't gone off to college but want to take some classes this fall now that I *sort* of know what I want to do in life. I'm not sure if it's just because I was homeschooled that I can be so awkward, but often someone will make a joke and I won't get it. Or I'll get teased and I don't come up with a good comeback until 5 minutes later and that person is gone and I've already responded with a hasty explanation instead of a tease back. Or I just blush and don't know what to say...

I'm also really bad with giving compliments and with giving sympathy. For example, my boss was in the Boston Marathon and was 1/2 a block away when the bombs went off. I NEVER said anything to her about it when I saw her later! I knew she was okay, but I never texted her to make sure or anything.

2. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hear ya I'm like not introverted ill talk to anyone just sometimes my quirky since of humor makes people think I'm strange :/ it helps to find people like yourself so theres less judgement...if that helps.

3. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah i'm pretty introverted. I also have social anxiety (although not as bad as when I was in high school).

4. Tylr

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How weird , I said I was on my desc 'bout me. :confused:

Yeah , I do feel so socially awkward a lot. I used to get bullied a lot and it's like , when I try to light up a conversation with someone it just dies quickly. All I can ask is questions and nothing else , but that's mostly due to because I feel really weird about talking about myself like people are judging me thinking "Oh God get over yourself".

If you want to do what you want in college you should just go , I was worrying a lot that I wouldn't know anyone (I didn't except for 1 person but I rarely talked to him). I made a few friends from college , it just takes time.

Cause you don't want to feel like you're bother them , right ?

Good luck if you decide to go to College. ^^

5. NeatlyOrganized

Why is it suddenly, well I guess not suddenly (just since all these expensive production wanna be indie films with socially awkward main characters), fashionable to be socially awkward? Did I just answer my own question? I'm not sure.

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry about it - if there's one thing that EC has taught me, it's that you shouldn't worry about whether you're socially awkward. The only way to better your social skills is to take the plunge into life and learn the ropes.

I feel the same - I've actually created a similar thread. We all feel the same at some times.

But! I encourage you to take that class. It will better not only your career path, but you can always get some social experience out of it, since it seems like you're seeking that.

<3 Gl. :thumbsup:

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yep...more than just sometimes.

8. Xochipilli

Yes! Extremely so!
    I'm also bad with giving/receiving compliments and sympathy.
    A co-worker's mom died recently and I didn't say anything. :confused:
    Terrible situations, like your boss's experience, leave me speechless and I want to express my sympathy, but I don't want it to sound forced or clichéd.

I feel you. >_<

9. EverythingWeBecome

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel your pain...
    It's very annoying when you see someone you want to talk to butyou can't find a way to even introduce yourself because you are "scared" of hummiliation.What's worse is that even if they come talking to me i freeze and don't know what to say and I'm all like "yeah...sure...uhh..ok...cool..."so conversation dies out pretty quickly...

You just have to trust yourself and don't overthink of stuff...Just don't let fear get in your way.Eventually everything will appear much easier.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  11. Harve

It's really, really not.

12. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Basically [because of the films you mentioned] people think being awkward is just saying stupid stuff sometimes, and not an actual [serious] social disorder.

13. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Socially awkward guy here. Even my friends like to poke fun at me for being one (they literally call me out as socially awkward penguin). But knowing the fact that they still like me for who I am (except, I'm not out to them), I feel like I'm getting less social anxiety and having more of the "be spontaneous and turn whatever their reaction into something positive" attitude :slight_smile:

14. dannyboy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    socially awkward here too. i mean, i'll talk to a few people at school who are my close friends and i trust. but besides that, i barely talk to anybody in life.

15. That Kid

I am the exact same way! There just seems to be so few people like me out there!

16. jeanie

jeanie Guest

I'm suuuper awkward. Usually once I get comfortable I can talk, but even then I say ridiculous things and get hot and nervous.

But sometimes, if I'm in a place with a lot of people (or too many people I don't know) I just clam up and avoid any kind of social interaction. It's bothersome, and for some reason only becomes a problem some of the time.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm pretty socially awkward. I probably have Asperger's. I'm definitely introverted. When my father divorced my mother, one of his lines during one of their fights was that I am "a social misfit." I heard about that later. It stung, it still stings, but it's probably true.

I'm very conscious of this now. As things stand, what local social network could take a huge hit by the end of the year, between coming out of the closet, and other events. I'm trying to meet new people, and I'm being reminded again and again about my social limitations... A part of me just feels like giving up, and resigning myself to a life totally alone.

18. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have social anxiety. and yeah, it is pretty stressful.

19. Convoy

I'm awkward, but realistically it's just because of the closet and having to hid everything from everyone.

I'm pretty outgoing but not being honest about myself means that I have to rethink my entire way of behaving in order to keep stuff under wraps; it doesn't make me happy.

So right now I'm socially awkward and believe me, it sucks. Not to undermine anyone but the weight of things that hang over me just completely makes life difficult.

20. Candace

I used to be a lot more...but that was because of what convoy said here. I didn't want people to think I was gay or weird. But, now (since my best friends know), all is good.