1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian teacher comes out to her students

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Apr 11, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Grof142007

That awesone wish i had a gay teacher in middle school

3. JSG

JSG Guest

Very interesting read but have you read the comments?
    Some are so rediculous...

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Reading those comments made me feel really uncomfortable =/

5. davo-man

I congratulate her on it, however I agree some of the comments made me uncomfortable, especially the ones concerning teching abstinence vs safe sex. Seriously, some people are not world smart, are they? They are comparing teaching adolescents what condoms are and why they are important to teaching adolescents hwo to use beer bongs. What a mo.

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Those comments were bizarre... there was someone saying that if you talk to 12 yr olds about safe sex, they will all immediately go off and start using dildos and so on, because their brains are not properly developed to prevent themselves.

7. Steam Giant

Those are ridiculous complaints, it's plainly obvious that they're just coming up with any reason to complain without stating that they wish to censor their children to prevent their heads being filled with "gay ideas." Naturally, there's no evidence of this, but I'd say it's very probable. I mean my god, why don't they throw in, "Miss Rowe also did not make proper use of grammar, and did not print out a proper lesson planner for the event?"

btw yay Stephanie Rowe! That must have taken an enormous amount of courage!

8. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think it's really great she felt able to come out, and had the support of the Principle. Hopefully her LGBT students will gain courage from this, and other others, now openly acquainted with a lesbian, will all go through life realising that they're just like you and me (no joke there intended!). I think that it is also a lesson in courage and being true to yourself too.

But a shame about some of the comments too, though - but the fact that she came out is step 1 at least.

9. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

this may be a stupid question but oh well... from that report it sounds like there are very few gay teachers in america, is this right or am i getting the total wrong end of the stick??

Its just im from the UK and know of quite a few gay teachers... i certainly cant think of any news reports concerning teachers "coming out," it doesnt seem to be that much of a big deal .. please correct me if im wrong tho!!

10. Orion

It seems like the kids themselves wanted to know, therefore I totally support her choice of telling them about her orientation. At least I think it's positive, she perceived that her students would ask her about her orientation and she told them about it.

If you ask me, I think it's a little too prompt, I know it's not what she wants to do, but she may give the wrong impression of rubbing it in people's faces.
    Problem is, there are nowadays many assumptions regarding people and most of them have to do with their sexuality. So, yeah. She did the right thing (not that I'm someone to judge, it's just my opinion)

Besides I think this is very good regarding the normality of homosexuality. This event definetly brings kids and people in general closer to homosexuality, which is healthier in terms of avoiding hatred. There. My thoughts. :slight_smile:

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Even when I was growing up there were gay teachers its just they didn't talk about it. We all knew. My son has a friend who is an elementary teacher and he has had very few problems.

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a gay High school chem teacher. I don't think it was common knowledge, but he was a very cool teacher and everyone liked him.

One of my high school gym teachers was a lesbian. At the time there were rumours but I didn't have any problems with her and found she was probably the best gym teacher I've ever had. Unfortunately later on there were accusations of 'inappropriate' behaviour with a female student, the 'investigation' didn't find anything, but it pretty much ruined her carrier, and I think caused a lot of embarrassment for the student involved. Which is a shame because she was a fairly new teacher.

I also saw a clip on the news the other day where they interviewed a principal of a high school and I highly suspected he was gay.

13. ErikPinkLovesU

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    there is an art teacher in my school that is gay. i think she is really nice even though i have never talked to her but i do feel inclined to go up to her and say "hey im gay too" lol. But at the same time it would make for a very embarassing and ackward and weird situation especually since only my one friend knows about me

14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that she came out because it means she can be a good role-model. :slight_smile: Shame about the comments, but I guess not everyone can be satisfied...

15. Vampyrecat

As someone else has already said in the comments, some people just aren't happy unless they have something to belly ache about.

I think it's great.
    Do these people seem to care if a teacher is in their 2nd marriage and drinks like a fish as much as they care if, OH SHOCK HORROR! they're gay??? Of course not. It's just bigoted idiocy and the same attitude as was shown to black people during the civil revolution.
    GOOD ON HER.

16. CrimsonThunder

You gotta learn that people will complain no matter what just for the sake of complaining because it makes them feel better/superior. Just do what I do and block it out.