1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skateboarding.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lawRAWR, May 7, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

So I am a girl and I really want to skateboard. I have only tried it a couple of times when I was younger. I SUCKED. :lol:

But I've grown up listening to tomboyish girl music, like Avril Lavigne. And I just thought it would be awesome to learn how to skate. :slight_smile:

I hang around with the 'nerd' group and so I don't really know anyone that skates that could help me out. And I'd probably be scared that I'd fall over and people would look at me... xD It's easy enough for someone to say 'just go out and do it' but I'd feel so anxious.

Was wondering if anyone else has wanted to do something, but they've held it back?

2. Duplexaxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would definitely invest in some knee pads and a helmet if you're gonna skate.

I can tell you broken bones suck!

If you wanna learn just go for it. Find a skate park or somewhere else concreted, look up some basics on the internet and go practice. If your scared of falling just build up slowly.

You lose your fear after a while and if you slam then you slam so I wouldn't worry about falling. Everyone has, and if they say they haven't then they're lying or they've never skated. It's kinda cool counting up cuts and bruises after skating.

I guess I always wanted to play guitar but I kinda psyched myself out of it.

3. Vladik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    New things are always scary. As far as skateboarding goes I can help you with any questions or concerns you might have. I skateboarded for about 6 years and only stopped because my body wouldn't hold out. I've been Sponsored by a few parks and skated with some top know skateboarders ( Chris cole and all of hotwax ). First things first: your gonna need some gear, do not run to Walmart and buy a skateboard! They are not real boards and will not preform correctly. It will turn you off to the sport.

You will need to find your local skatepark/shop OR you can order everything online at stores like "CCS". As for the board itself, that depends on how large you and your feet are. I'm a guy wearing size 8 shoes and I preferred a 7.75 board with matching trucks. ( 7.75 is the width from side to side. Trucks are the metal extremity attracted to the bottom of the board that holds the wheels)

A new skateboard is going to cost ~110$ for everything. This is called a "complete". Some shops run specials on these so the price can very. Also, the board itself can be anywhere from 20-70$ depending on if you want a name brand picture board or a "blank deck" which had no picture. The boards will preform exactly the same, you will be paying the extra for the picture on the bottom.

You will also need some skateboard shoes, the are designed to work with the sandpaper type material on the top of the board ( grip tape ). I would recommend going to a skateshop for this as the sizes very and you need a snug fitting pair.

As a beginner your gear will last a long time. But the further you progress the faster your effects will wear down, I was buying a new board every month and new shoes every 3 months.

When your just learning to skate I would recommend starting in your driveway on flat ground. Skating unlike a lot of sports can be a solo practice. It is much more fun with a group but as you would be able to even roll straight when you start you would just drag everyone down. So just start by rolling around and getting your balance. You can consult YouTube for tips and tricks on performing tricks. Keep in mind skateboarding had a very sharp learning curve at the start, your balance just rolling around will be the foundation for everything to come.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me, this was the love of my life for a long time.

#3 Vladik, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. catatonie

Skating is simple if you accept that you're going to fall on your ass regularly. I think 90% of the problem with people who say they can't learn is mental. you're only 7cm further from the ground than if you were standing :slight_smile:

I want/ed to go back to school, but I don't know for what really, and I think I'm too dumb/old/whatever to get a degree in the ideas i entertain.

5. NeatlyOrganized

Don't feel held back due the so called rules of cliques and social normalities/what is socially acceptable, that's an outrageous way to live life, although in high school and before that I feel into all that silly garbage myself.

6. HelmetBoi

Naturally I couldn't agree more! Anything on wheels = a helmet at the bare minimum.

7. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just get a good skateboard & learn the basics. start of on flat ground and become comfortable just riding, turning, stoping. Then eventually start practing your Ollie and you'll be we'll on your way.

8. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I used to skate all the time, and I really enjoyed it! I moved on to off roading in my 4 wheeler and got bored of skating, but that's completely irrelevant. My main advice is you need to invest in a good board. Some quality brands are Alien Workshop, Plan B, Element, etc. Also, make sure to buy good skate shoes like nike SBs, audios, etnies, and stuff like that. Also, if you have a local skate shop, ask them what to buy to get started. If you like skateboarding, check out longboarding too! It's alot of fun!