1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychology (One of Freud's theories)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HappyNerdyGamer, May 8, 2013.

1. Today in class we learned about Freud and his theories. I found this one interesting and I thought that people on here could try it. So Freud believed that everything we said or thought had a deeper meaning, so in order to test this, you write down the first 10 words that come to mind. In my case, my 10 words were:
    Love
    Happiness
    Time
    Dream
    Peace
    Feeling
    Jump
    Cry
    Purple
    Laugh

2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad
    Kleenex
    Cymbal
    Board
    Toes
    Smell
    Key
    Tunes
    Shade
    Poop

Yup. I'm just full of deep meanings.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually I see some meaning and patterns in those words. While Freud wasn't right on all counts, and missed the mark more than a few times, I'm inclined to agree that he's right, based on my own experiences with free association and exercises like the above. The unconscious will often come forth with very interesting things given the opportunity.

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex
    Sex

That was Freud's list. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Foxface

As a therapist I am a Jungian analyst. It's how I trained and I adore his theories

With that said, Freud had so many good points and so many bad points. At the core of his ideas, neglect young and manifest old is a sound point. When you harm a child and fail to care for him or her it can manifest as issues when they grow older. However, some of his psychosexual theory goes a bit far. One of the misconceptions I find is that when Freud referred to sex, he was referring to most desires. The problem is I don't believe desire runs every single aspect of our life

If you guys get some read up on Carl Jung...amazing stuff

but yes I do believe some ideas and words have meaning behind them

Foxface

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just to butt in, I find it interesting that you bring up Jung [though, to be fair, I imagine it would've been inevitable :lol:,] as I've been thinking of reading his memoir the last few days.

Sorry for not contributing to the exercise, I'm horrible with these things. I always overthink them. -____-

7. Ticklish Fish

i'll just quote this cause i'm lazy

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jung's work is incredible, particularly his integration of the spiritual with the psychological, and his work with dream analysis. His writing can be a little dense, but for those who take the time to understand it, I think he brought a lot to our thinking about the psyche, the unconscious and the interactions between them in a way that Freud oversimplified.

There aren't a lot of Jungian therapists around (in the US anyway), it's nice to see one and particularly nice to see one here. :slight_smile:

9. BlueBear

I had college English communication professor that to get you writing would just write random words on the board quickly and had us pick one then as quickly as possible write what ever came to mind. I ended up having a story about my father come out of this that I never realized was important to me until then. This method seems similar to the topic.

I think Pavlov dog experiments of how we pair things in our mind is the most important part of psychology as to fix things we are searching for the original way we pair things that we shouldn't have. If you find Origin the issues ends.

10. Colton

Black
    Music
    Love
    Pickles
    Find
    Baby
    Jealousy
    Pressure
    Happiness
    Fear

I have no clue about the pickles.

11. Hexagon

cock
    toes
    can't
    think
    boobs
    water
    iphone
    beautiful
    AI
    sex

12. CTJ

CTJ

I always feel completely incapable of doing things like this. Even if i'm trying to do it just for myself, i tend to over think and analyse as i am going along. Or i'll be swayed by what others have said before me. I'm just a psychologists headache :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Dog
    Cat
    Horse
    Filipino
    Jalapeno
    Cherries
    Corset
    Myopic
    Calisthenics
    Palomino
    Odette

14. We learned about that as well, and I find it to be extremely over exaggerated. Not everyone's deepest thoughts are sexual. I love the story our teacher told us about how Freud was teaching a lecture one day about how everything was sexual and then a student raises his hand. As Freud smokes a cigar, the student asks well if everything is sexual, then what about his cigar. At that moment, his whole entire everything is sexual theory was completely debunked.

15. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Genetics
    Corn
    Mosaic
    Yellow
    Purple
    Marker
    Draw
    Answer
    Stress
    Branch diagram

I had genetics discussion yesterday and was thinking about it before reading this thread. So deep...