1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

born in the wrong century

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by angels12, May 8, 2013.

1. angels12

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I was looking for a post ,an older one, about people who truly believe they feel as if they were born in the wrong time. I've felt this way all my life. I have recreated the time period I would have liked to have lived in. That is the Victorian era, 1837 till 1901. I've made a lifetime of study in this era. First of all, I was very fortunate to have grown up w/my great-grandmother who was born in 1879 & died in 1979, @ 100 yrs. She taught me a lot of what it was really like to live in that time. Fast forward to today. My husband & I live in a house built in 1880, & we have spent years lookingfor and buying antiques from that time period. EVERYTHING we do ,from they way we eat, dress,, entertain guests ,etc. is as close as we can get to re-creating a life in the 19th century. We even have a maid. I know some may think we have carried things to an extreme, but ladies, when you have a husband who acts as a REAL GENTALMAN ,or for the men, a wife who acts as a REAL LADY, it is worth it!! For those who would like :slight_smile:to know, there are a few web sites I know of that have the clothes, furnishings, and even appliances that will get you started on your dream of living in the 19th century.

2. Colton

That's really interesting! I think about this sometimes too! For me, I feel like I was put here for a purpose, and I'm in the correct time and place. However, I would love to have been able to experience all kinds of these past eras! Just to see what it's like! But, I do, personally, feel like I am here in the best century for me!

3. HeyAshley

lol, wait....what? did i really just read this? your first post, really?

sounds like spam!

4. manoverboard09

Even if this is spam.. I would love to have lived during the Victorian era. It was so fancy o__o
    But I mean.. I'm content here in the 21st century, because sadly I don't know what I would do without my technology!!

5. kem

kem

Midnight in Paris is a nice film, related to the topic.

I like this century.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's easy to look at the Victorian era as appealing from the comfort of our own century. I guarantee it was not as awesome as steampunk art or Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes would lead us to believe.

Not that I would discourage you from trying to have that sort of aesthetic to your life. If the late 19th century had anything, it was style.

7. AlamoCity

The most appealing thing for me would be to have the social manners and etiquette of the Victorian Era combined with the modern marvels of science, medicine, and technology. Unfortunately, my belief is that as technology made us multitaskers, the value of our time increased to be ever more efficient and we ended up shaving time off our lives from manners, conventions, etiquette, and social mores.

Why set the table with fine china, 24% leaded crystal, and sterling flatware for every dinner if you have to spend 20 minutes afterwards washing and drying such items by hand? Unless it's a holiday or special occasion, pull out the Hefty plates and Solo cups and chuck them all away afterwards :grin:.

8. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

"...but ladies, when you have a husband who acts as a REAL GENTALMAN ,or for the men, a wife who acts as a REAL LADY, it is worth it!!"

Did this part make anyone else raise an eyebrow and chuckle for a second? I immediately thought "you do know where you are, right?" :lol:

I do sometimes feel like I have an old soul. I definitely wouldn't want to go back in time, though. Being a black person, anything before 1980, maybe 1970 in some places, is cast into the "better not chance it" pile. :lol: But that being said, I do enjoy things from eras before my time and sometimes it makes me a little sad because I feel like I missed out on this times that fascinate me. Then again, going back to that whole "better not chance it" thing, I'm more happy to be in this time and still able to enjoy those things from times passed. I think what's great is that things from those different times are still around and most likely will be for much longer. I have songs from 20s, 50s, and 60s on my Ipod. "I Love Lucy" still runs on TV even though all the actors and creators are deceased today. Just like this woman is doing with her house and lifestyle, I think it's great that the things a person loves about the past can still be experienced by people in the present to just about any degree the person wishes.

9. Ridiculous

Haha yup...

There was actually a thread on here a while ago about living in a different time though. So maybe it's not a spammer?

10. angels12

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I can assure everyone that this is NOT spam!! I was posting to an older post that's all. I should have introduced myself better. Im straight, but my cousin is gay.She is like a big sister to me. She's gone through a lot of critisium, especially here in the south. I support the LGBT community .(!)

11. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I can't think of any other time periods that I would like to live in, but if I had access to a time machine, there are several historical time periods that I would love to visit!

12. Dufflepud

Visit? Totally! Stay there? No thanks.

13. Convoy

Personally I think there's no greater time for LGBT people than now even though the challenges have yet to end they are steadily being acknowledged and addressed even more in this new modern era. So I wouldn't choose to live anytime else.

That said If I lived in the past I'd totally be able to run around all free and blow stuff up all the time! Hey my ancestors did it and they got around alright :grin: but I don't think it's a wise idea to repeat now. :icon_lol:.

Plenty of Legal fun stuff to do in this new era :icon_wink.