1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is more important to you: Looks or Personaility?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, May 9, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

The reason I ask is that I often hear some of the girls that I'm friends with saying "I don't care what he looks like, once he makes me laugh" yet they always go for the insanely hot guy with the personality of a brick wall and friend-zone the average looking funny guy. Guys on the other hand tend to be more honest and upfront and say they go for the hottest girl they can find, they don't care about her personality, in fact many of them don't even bother to figure out her name. So I wanted to know where everyone else stood on the looks v. personality battle?

For me it's probably a bit of a mixture of both really, predominantly personality though. I look for people who are pretty much my antithesis when it comes to personailty. He would need to be kind of bubbly and easy going as I'm sometimes kind of uptight and reserved. Once he is a fun person with a similar sense of humour to me, looks are almost irrelevant. However, he would need to have a pretty cute face with nice, bright eyes and good teeth. Body shape, etc. is more or less unimportant to me (except for super muscly guys, i.e. the big body builder types, I personally find that really unattractive).

2. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Personality overall, I'd love to have a both, but wouldn't we all?

3. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd rather go for personality what's the use of having a pretty face, sexy body if the personality is ugly, who doesn't respect you nor keep beatin you emotionally. Personality really counts for me but it would be awesome if it is both I would be the luckiest person alive. :grin:

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think one is more honest than the other, but instead that women seem to take a more holistic view when choosing a partner, with looks, personality, finance, etc all playing more-or-less equal parts in the choice. Perhaps these good looking guys are more confident (something women, but really, most people value) and more likely to approach more women?

With the whole 'men are more visual' argument aside, I'd say the media crams images of the ideal women (or man, for gay men) down mens' throats, until they feel like unsuccessful losers if they don't have the stereotypical 10/10 trophy wife.

Not everyone finds the same traits attractive.

I also don't think there's any trait a partner would 'have' to have for me to consider them, and from experience, there have even been a few less-than-average persons who I originally brushed off but ended up falling head over heels for. This is what I think alienates me from most men, gay and straight, along with my tendency to go for more effeminate and masculine, androgynous men and women. Same with personality: they wouldn't 'need' to be anything, since theoretically I think any relationship could work, though I go for more quirky, intelligent, and open types.

5. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

Definitely personality. However, looks are important for the lust/physical part of the relationship. But without the personality, I find it very hard to see anyone romantically/sexually no matter how good looking they are, so it definitely comes first.

6. Harve

Both are important. I honestly think that someone who says that looks have absolutely no importance whatsoever is kidding themselves: they're vital for first impressions which themselves are very influential. I've asked myself what the case would be for blind people, and I suppose other things would take over, like odour and the sound of someone's voice (which still play some part for sighted people).

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My own opinion is that if you think of a relationship like a bonfire, looks are the spark and ###### that get it going, but personality is the firewood that sustains it. You need the spark and ###### to set it alight, but once the firewood is burning, the spark and ###### don't really matter anymore.

8. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Well, for the gender difference we looked at several studies in Animal Behavior showing that showed men value beauty (correlated with fertility and health) more than women when looking for a mate and women value resources (i.e. income) more than men. This is because of sexual conflict--it's in the best interest of the male to mate multiply and in the best interest of the female to have the male stay and raise the young with her. Men and women both valued intelligence and kindness.

For me, femininity is attractive, but masculinity is rather unattractive. Putting effort into one's appearance is attractive (not the same as looking like the cultural ideal), and dressing sloppily is unattractive. Honestly I'm unsure who I could end up with. I haven't tried to date a masculine, casually dressed person. Perhaps I'm shallow.

What I find annoying is when people say that X person is definitely attractive or unattractive, like it's a rule everyone must believe. Bitch, I'll decide for myself if they're fuckable or not. Not you. Though obviously it will suck for someone if less people find them fuckable.

#8 stuffiscool, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  9. June Cleaver

From what I've seen people go for looks first. No matter what BS they say, the uglier people among us have a bitch of a time getting a date. I have been friends with lots of plain people over the years and the one thing they all seemed to have in common was they all were single looking perpetuailly. Always dreaming of that supermodel they could never get. I have known a few to settle with someone nice like my friend Jason. Jason was my best friend in high school and he was a big bubba type. He is now like 400#. Well a few years after high school he had moved this toothpick skank (let me apologise for using this word, it is what she was) in with him who was sleeping with the whole trailer park they lived in. One night she did one of his coworkers in front of him. He was so upset and cried on my sholder that night and I told him to find a girl with personallity, not "the look". A few years later after being burned by the toothpick quite a bit more, he met Anna a big sweet friendly woman. They got married and now like 18 years later have 2 kids and are still a happy couple. He fineally took my advise and looked for happiness. I wish all of you out there could have what Jason and Anna, and Mike and I have. June

10. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Boom.....nailed it ^

couldn't have put it better myself

11. HeyAshley

personality is everything. anyone can be at least a little attractive if they take care of themselves. and the personality trait to take pride in how you look matters to me. so i feel comfortable saying a good personality beats everything else.

12. confeshhhions

I'd agree - I look for both, but personality is much more important to me. Why bother being with a guy/girl who's gorgeous only to find they can't have a decent conversation? Unless, you know, you like that sort of thing.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would be lying if I said "a Cute looking Guy, doesn't attract my attention" I am drawn to attractive Men, but they would need a personality to go with it, which can sometimes be rarely the case, a lot of good looking Straight Guys I know, tend to love themselves too much, that's not to say, that a plain looking Guy wouldn't attract my attention, with a cute smile & tons of personality, with the ability to make me laugh, a good sense of humor is a plus for me :slight_smile:

14. prism

Best explanation I've heard on the matter.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like both, but personality always comes first for me.

16. Niko

Personality is always first.

17. Jared

This x1000

18. animequeen567

For me if there's no personality then no deal. I can't go for someone that has no personality.

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hear a lot of people say all women want a "bad boy" or whatever, but that sentiment makes me want to barf. I am WAY drawn to personality (as I'm Demisexual).

It's so weird... people all saying they want someone with a good personality have a tendency to be perpetually single... *cough* me *cough*

20. Femmeme

I've dated pretty brick walls and I've dated homely sweethearts, neither of those work out. If you aren't attracted to someone, you aren't attracted to them. If choosing to be attracted to someone was an option most of us wouldn't be here, because we'd choose to be attracted to the opposite sex. Likewise trying to have a meaningful relationship with someone you don't like for who they are on the inside just will not work, it's boring, argumenative and overall just awful everytime you walk out of the bedrooom.

You have to have a balance or it just isn't worth the time.