1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotionless

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Absol, May 9, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So I usually don't tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve. People usually have a hard time telling me how I feel and usually end up thinking I'm in a bad mood, when actually I'm in a pretty good mood. This really doesn't bother me, I've been like that my whole life.

What does bother me is when someone gives me good or bad news, and I don't act accordingly. For instance, like a week ago, my brother and his wife told me that they're pregnant. All I said was "Congratulations" and to me at least, I just sounded cold and discerning. It's like I can't express my emotions correctly to certain situations.

I don't how I ended up like this, it wasn't like I was starved of any emotional contact. I guess maybe it's left over from my teen years where I think I suffered depression(I never sought help, so I don't really know) and I tried to hide what I was truly feeling. Either way, how can I express emotion in a loving and caring way when I need to? (I don't know about anyone else, that question just sounds.......weird to me xD)

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you heard of alexithymia?

3. Sully

Hahaha I'm the same a bit. More so when I'm a bit moody :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I was in a major mood over some really annoying family shit and my sister got into a law degree and I was just like whatever. She asked if I was happy for her and I said something along the lines of 'not really, why would I be? Doesn't affect me at all and everyone else is just pretending to care because that's what is social expected'

I was really shitty so I just had to rain on her parade. It was a bit of revenge though XD

4. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No I haven't, so I read up on it. It sort of sounds like what I'm experiencing. I can tell how I feel about a situation, I just can't express it. I found a test and it said I was possible alexithymia, so there's that.

Thanks for telling me about, at least I don't think I'm heartless douche.
    Yeah I think you were just in a mood and you just wanted to lash out. xD

5. BlueBear

Growing up were you feelings valued, respected and aware of them by family or did people hurt you and not care. My wife has trouble sharing her emotions as no cared about them when she grew up or her opinion. In my upbringing emotions were a sign of weakness and no one called about what I felt. I was taught to show emotions people will see you as weak and physically hurt you. Could you share a little more

If you have Alexithymia you wouldn't have been aware or cared about how you sounded to your brother and his wife when they told you they're pregnant.

#5 BlueBear, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. Hefiel

I'm a bit like that too, but possibly for different reasons.

I sort of grew up putting all emotions on the side to take care of whatever I needed to do, so I ended up being a little dysfunctional when it comes to interpreting emotions, showing emotions, and providing an appropriate emotional response.

I still am this way, but not as bad anymore. It took me some time off to analyze and understand emotions I had previously brushed off, and I've gained a bit more social skills as well. I can provide more appropriate emotional responses when needed, although it somewhat feels like I'm playing more of a character in a play than giving a genuine response. In reality I couldn't care less about what they said, but it's the expected behavior, so I comply to avoid problems.

It's given people the impression that I'm a cold heartless bastard with no feelings, which is not exactly true. I just don't care about how cute your dog is, sure I'll entertain the discussion because of social conventions, but I'll just cut things short and move to something more important. This doesn't apply to people who are "closer" to me however, I tend to be more "open" to topics I'd usually brush off and showing a bit more emotions in those cases. The bigger challenge is getting close to me in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Man! I just wish I'm like you who can hide emotions and other people won't tell the difference whether you're happy or not. I do keep my feelings when I'm upset but sometimes they can tell it through my actions which is often pissing me off cause I'm trying to hide it all yet failed to do so.

Anyhow I don't find it negative but to answer your question as to how I guess you just let go with your emotions stop holding it back, don't be afraid to show them whether they find it awkward or different at all.

8. BlueBear

I can relate. Growing up I was always worrying about surviving and someone saying they are having a baby wouldn't rise to the expectations of someone with a less eventful life.

9. Hefiel

I wouldn't exactly call it a need to survive in my case as much as it was an adaptation that made me focus more strictly on the rational rather than the emotional. It seriously made me take a step back from processing emotions because I thought of them as pointless to have, and just holding people back (myself included).

I was surrounded by funerals at a pretty young age, saw my last grandfather in his last few hours suffering from generalized cancer (his eyes had turned yellow, I can remember all of that). I saw all these family members and friends of the departed cry and all of that, yet to me that simply appeared as just the fact of life and that there is simply no reason to cry when death is expected for all of us. That has been my outlook on life and death ever since.

Little later on in life, I caught, on different occasions with different people, people I once called "friends" saying really awful things behind my back. Then I noticed other people doing the same thing behind their friend's back, and that just made me think "I don't need this nonsense" and just stepped away from "friendship" and "emotions" nonsense which started to get in the way. That surprisingly launched me into psychology and sociology, and I started manipulating people, their emotions, how they perceive me, etc. to get my way when I needed something done. The more I watched people, the more I began to see them as vile, moronic people who'd choose to remain ignorant if it meant that they'd be happier. I'd have done a great job as a Wall Street Exec.

Been living with some serious barricade around myself since then, and it's only been since just a few years ago that those barricades started becoming an inconvenience and I've been trying to take them down. My sexuality was tightly protected behind those walls as well, but I managed to take that wall down.

10. this is exactly how i feel. don't worry, you're not the only one. i can't count how many times last year where my social studies teacher had to ask me if i was ok because i gave him an emotional reply that was supposedly a bit off, even though i never thought of it. this applies to literally every adult who was once concerned with me.

it's ok, do you also feel that all the horrific things we know that happens in the world is powerful if we think about it as an idea? that's how i feel; overwhelmed by people's suffering, but when i actually am face to face with it, nothing really happens.

11. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've had a few people comment that I come across as emotionless. Truth be told, they're more or less correct. When I was a kid I would get upset easily and so learned to suppress any negative emotion. Then I slowly slid into depression, which erased the positive emotions, too. Even when good things happen to me, it's usually only a matter of time before I feel empty again. The better the circumstances, the worse the ensuing emptiness.

I still generally don't comprehend feeling emotions for other people. I get extremely uncomfortable when people show excitement about something in my life. It's like, I don't even care that much; why on earth do you? Needless to say, I'm horrible at both expressing and reading emotion in social situations.

12. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I honestly kept to myself. There was this one incident and I really don't like talking about it, because it reminds me of how much I don't trust my father, but I'll tell you anyway. I'll put it in spoiler tags for trigger warning.

To make a long story short, I got caught shop lifting at age 14. My family was disappointed with, which I think they should of, but I remember it just became too much for me to handle. My mother kept on telling me how she was disappointed with me, while my sister just stopped talking to me. My brother actually showed some remorse, but he was really focused on school and on his SATs, so he didn't do much. What really hurt the most was my father, because he just acted like he didn't care. My family just had all this negativity directed at me, that made me feel miserable. The only people that actually told me "Hey it's ok." was my youth minister and my friends at school. It was so bad that I wanted to go to school so I could get away. I remember I got really sick during that time and still went, but they sent me home soon after.

This was a really dark time for me because this was around the same time I finding out I was attracted to boys, so I just didn't hate myself, I despised myself. I remember during this time, my sister was yelling at me about something and I said "I wanted to die". She then told my mother, and she didn't say anything, just went on with whatever she was doing. I took that as she didn't cared, so I went to my room and decided to act upon my thoughts. I tried to suffocate myself(I'm not going say how), but I stopped myself because I got scared and I'm pretty sure God was telling me not to. (I've never told anyone that) Things eventually became better once I was done with my community service, but I never did tell them anything after that.

I really don't know if I deserved all of that, I mean I did mess up, but I just couldn't handle it and I had no one to talk to about it.

Fast forward a year later and I actually turned everything around. I was doing better, I was still struggling with my sexuality, but it was much better. Then, my dad got arrested which didn't surprise me, but I decided not to act like he did. He had to spend a weekend in jail and we he got out, I thought my family was going to act the same way to him. They actually acted the exact opposite, they actually joked about it; I was dumbfounded. My dad then pulls me to the side and says this "Now since I didn't tell anyone your little run in with the law, I expect you do the same with me." Was that all he cared about, his public image? He would rather throw me under the bus to save face? I decided that day I would never trust him again.

It's a double edge sword as you can tell from my posts. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    That's the same with me. I remember I had a lot of relatives die very close together, my grandparents on one side died with in a month of each other. I just got very use to it and by the time my grandmother die, I honestly didn't feel much.
    I was at a concert with my youth group and these two elderly couple was walking down the isle. There was an empty seat beside me, so I got up and them sit there and I decided to go stand at the back. I didn't do it just because it was the right thing to do, it was the most logical thing to do and I would rather stand, honestly. My youth minister decided to make a big deal about at our next meeting and I didn't understood why. It also sort of embarrassed me since I hate being the center of attention, but I knew his attentions were good so it didn't bother me too much.