1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best response to people that think being gay is a choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TJ, May 9, 2013.

1. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw this awesome video that asks a question I never thought to ask a straight person if they ask me.
    The fact that I have never thought of this before shows my lack of creativity. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    [youtube]QJtjqLUHYoY[/youtube]

2. Foxface

exactly...I mean there is no other answer for me

"When did you decide to be straight? Oh you didn't? Well I didn't decide to be bi either"

but it never changes their minds so mostly I just ignore it

Foxface

3. BlueBear

I had this fight on another forum and I couldn’t change anyone’s mindset. One person would argue that if being gay was something you were born with through genetics they would die off without reproducing. The other augment was being gay must be a choice as that doesn’t fit with the bible. So I posted some of the crazy parts of the bible such as requiring the stoning of non-virgin women if the husband was deceived of their being a virgin or the born a eunuch Jesus quote. The belief that being gay is a choice is hindering gay marriage. As being born gay makes the bible questionable. Gay marriage is challenging people’s religious beliefs

My brother died or AIDs in the south and that the gay priest had no way of finding anything positive from the bible to say at the funeral made me hate the bible.

#3 BlueBear, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. Vladik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Then next time someone tries to use the genetics argument, politely ask where they got their genetics degree from. As I'm very sure anyone ( insert dysphemism ) enough to think that, doesn't have a degree in anything.

5. BlueBear

I went with that but found out these people are not interested in learning the truth but instead to voice their opinion as often as possible. I suspect that off the web they have no audience and engaging them just feeds the fire. My guess is the closest they have come to knowing someone gay is on TV.

6. Level75

Naturally, people don't consider the possibility that families that have homosexuality in their lineage may have been more likely to pass on their genes than families that do not. For what reason is anyone's guess.

As for the main question: lesser rights, lack of childhood role models, and the greater possibility of being the victim of a hate crime. Clearly I picked the winning choice.

7. AlamoCity

Good answer! Just tell them that we have so many genetic diseases that actually cause death and they still get passed along. Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell anemia, cystic fibrosis, etc. Just because a disease is genetic does not mean that every person who has a gene "displays" such trait. Many can be carriers. Of course this implies being gay is a simple genetic trait and it looks like it's most like caused by genetic and environmental factors (e.g. exposure to certain hormonal conditions in the womb).

Although, to test whether or not you should even try to reason with them, you should ask them one question: Can you explain how recessive and dominant traits work in Mendelian genetics? If no, tell them to go learn basic high school biology before they ask you again.

8. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What if they ran into someone who seriously felt like it was a choice for them, and they were convinced that everybody else just 'chose' like they did?

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My response is to say that as a choice, being queer in a morally unassailable choice.

Bite me.

Also, I have a knife, so fuck you.

10. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's sad how so many people automatically say things like "it's a choice!", yet they've never questioned that other people might actually just be born different than them. Whenever they're faced with other alternatives they seem to feel threatened, as if they can be swayed from who they naturally are. Hearing people make all these wild theories about how being gay is nurture based, or how sinful it is is about as ridiculous as hearing someone bitch about pop. "No, Coke is the only name brand people should drink! Drinking Pepsi is a life choice! If you raise a child around Pepsi they're going to turn away from the wholesome taste of Coke! Liking Pepsi is a sin unto GAWD! Caffeine 3:16 clearly states 'Lay your drink down on my coaster, and you will share the burden of the table'. That means God is clearly against Pepsi!". It almost hurts the brain. :eusa_doh:

11. sme

sme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People are so hilariously ignorant... It just makes me want to hug them, and calm them down... So they don't hurt themselves. :slight_smile:

12. Hexagon

This

13. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is so cool, everyone is like, "okey you got me, it might not have been a choice..."

14. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like your post Tjay! I really do. :grin:

I hope those people will open their mind to the possibilities that being a gay or lesbian is a freaking choice because it is NOT and never will.

15. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    wow im pleasantly suprised when i us the when did you choose to be straight line nobody is that reasonable , its always your stupid fuck off its just wrong. or i always say if its a choice why do some men not get boners when seeing naked women that right there proves its not a choice.

16. IceKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [/QUOTE]Good answer! Just tell them that we have so many genetic diseases that actually cause death and they still get passed along. Tay-Sachs disease, sickle cell anemia, cystic fibrosis, etc. Just because a disease is genetic does not mean that every person who has a gene "displays" such trait. Many can be carriers. Of course this implies being gay is a simple genetic trait and it looks like it's most like caused by genetic and environmental factors (e.g. exposure to certain hormonal conditions in the womb).

Although, to test whether or not you should even try to reason with them, you should ask them one question: Can you explain how recessive and dominant traits work in Mendelian genetics? If no, tell them to go learn basic high school biology before they ask you again.[/QUOTE]

Haha I can, and I'm 13 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. AAASAS

People that think it is a choice don't piss me off nearly as much as those that know it's not a choice and still have a problem with it.

18. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw this earlier today, the funny thing is most say..."I never thought about that." You never THINK that's this world's whole damn problem!!!!

19. dreamcatcher

I would say "Really? Well you know what else is a choice? Being an asshole"

Ok, I wouldn't really say that. But in my head I would.

20. Candace

I personally love God, but I don't really like organized religion. That's me. I was told that God loves me no matter what. So the rest don't matter.

Anyway, why would I want to choose something that is a. frowned upon by many worldly societies. b. be the target of discrimination and harassment. c. could mean losing everyone whom I love dearly (friends, family, etc.)? Why would anyone with an IQ over 50 choose THAT?? It's so easy...even a retarded caveman can see that their statement lacks meaning:/