1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some good things to do in New York City?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, May 10, 2013.

1. Shyguy5

I'm going on a study abroad to NYC for 10 days and my "assignment" is to make a list of inexpensive things to do or see in NYC. Th problem is I don't know anyone that has been there nor know any place to go.

I wanted to get some advice from fellow EC members :slight_smile:

2. BudderMC

NYC in itself is a really grand place; even just walking around and seeing the sights is crazy.

Buying a subway pass for a week is like $25 I think, so it's really cheap. Take the subway everywhere (that in itself is an adventure).

Places off the top of my head I can think of:

- Central Park
    - Chinatown
    - 9/11 Memorial
    - Times Square
    - Statue of Liberty/Empire State Building/other touristy landmarks that I can't think of

3. Candace

NY native here.

I agree with the guy above me, but the thing is that the Statue of Liberty is under renovation I believe. I don't know if there are restrictions or not if you decide to go there. You have to go to as well:

Chelsea- Strand Bookstore (world's largest)
    Corona- Ice King of Corona, and amazing Chinese/Korean food
    Financial District- Brooklyn Bridge/South Street Seaport

The Freedom Tower should be open by the summer? I think so...

Rockafeller Center, Grand Central Station (my favourite), The Met, Hayden Planetarium (on the west side of Central Park at 79th Street and Central Park W.), Macy's (34th Street, 5th Av., Broadway)---about a block from the Empire State Building

Rockaway Beach/Jones Beach as well! It will be warm enough to go there.

Hopefully I can help you out if you have specific questions. :slight_smile:

--Native New Yorker

4. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going to disagree with this. Take the subway when you really have to, but otherwise stay above ground! You'll experience a hell of a lot more walking around watching what's going on (if you don't mind getting tired feet!) than sitting on a dank train with the beggars and drunks.

Walk into Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. Go to Pier 17. Get the Staten Island Ferry (get off and come straight back on the same boat, views on Manhattan are AMAZING, especially at night).

Howabout visiting Stonewall and Christopher St - that was certainly an experience whenever I've done it haha!

5. BudderMC

Oh, I agree with you. When my family and I went last summer, we were towards the south end of Manhattan (my geography is terrible...) so we'd leave the hotel in the morning, subway up to the area of Manhattan we were planning on exploring that day, then walk around for the rest of the time.

It was mostly just to save time getting there and back, since we were also hitting up museums and other things. You're bound to meet more interesting characters walking around than riding the subway though, for sure.

6. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly how I do it! Subway there, walk around all day, subway home.

It is a good idea to get one of those weekly passes though, then if you suddenly have the fancy to go somewhere out of walking distance, you can do. And there'll be times your feet just don't want to walk anymore - I always end up with blisters whenever I'm there from walking around so much.

Other than home, it's my favourite place on the planet.

7. prism

A THIRD CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and take the N/Q (right?) back over the Manhattan Bridge. You'll get a gorgeous view both ways.

Other than that, take the train to get to other boroughs or across boroughs, but bring a sturdy pair of running shoes and walk everywhere. However, some of the train stations are very beautiful. 0:

For cheap meals, hit food carts! Hit the 53rd St & 6th Avenue Halal cart. I always bring my out-of-state friends and family there because the food is incredible.

I've spent whole days in Central Park alone. If you go on their website you can see a list of attractions in the park, including cheap paddle boating.

8. Randy Renaud

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow, first I can't believe that you get to so such fun assignments. I wish I had that assignment and was 'forced' to find things to do in NYC. I can't think of any place right now but it would be a good idea to scope out the colleges and ask them what they do for fun. Read the college bulletin boards and you're bound to stumble upon a few leads. It's not an easy assignment but I'm sure it'll be a blast. You also have to consider value for money. There are quite a few exhibitions in New York that are well worth the money like Discovery's Body Worlds near Times Square. Check it out: Body Worlds Exhibition NYC : Discovery Times Square