1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internal Homophobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, May 10, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok Guys, I keep seeing the word Internal Homophobia being banded about in some threads, what does it mean?

I have never heard the saying before, so it's new to me :confused:

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's when someone is brought up in a homophobic atmosphere, and they absorb the attitudes. It usually refers to self hatred in LGBT people, who have taken in the hateful rubbish of homophobes. It's closely linked to internalised misogyny, as homophobia usually comes from sexism (gay men lowering themselves to the level of women, lesbian women getting above their place by not being with men)

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understood the first part, but you lost me towards the end :confused:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I have slight internal homophobia if that's the case. My conscious, rational brain tells me homo relationships are great, and most of the time I'm excited to see them. But occasionally it still strikes me as weird when I see gay couples, in a sort of "does not compute" sort of way. I think that's all of society though; it's just not frequent enough yet to be accepted as fully commonplace.

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understood some of what Aussie792 was saying, it was just the last bit about "It's closely linked to internalised misogyny" you will have to excuse me, but being Dyslexic, I can't always get my head around what someone is saying Lol
    I need someone to explain it in a way that it will compute in my brain :slight_smile:

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Internalised misogyny is basically having this deep-set feeling that men are superior to women. Even if someone doesn't consciously think that he's superior to a woman, for example, he might be uncomfortable about a woman having a position of power over him. So if someone has that going on, they might also feel deep down that being gay is inferior, because it could be seen as though gay men are taking on a more feminine role and giving up power, or that lesbians are trying to act like men and try to have more power than they should.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Are there anymore examples of Internal Homophobia that a Gay Person may display?

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They might think "well, maybe I like guys, but I'm not gay, I'm not like all those other gay guys who all act like girls". Or "I'm normal, I act like a guy, it's all those super gay guys that make other people think I'm not normal."

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's starting to sink in now, I am a Straight acting Gay Guy, or as I have been told by another EC member, a Masculine Gay Guy, the TV & media has always portrayed Gay Men as Feminine Men who are Flamboyant, by distancing myself from being a Feminine Gay Guy, because of the TV & Media stereotypes, that is Internal Homophobia?

10. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sort of. If you think that feminine gay guys are bad, or that they cause straight people to be homophobic, or that they need to man up, or that they're all bitchy and stupid, or that they don't deserve respect, I'd say that's internalised homophobia. If you just think "I'm different to these guys, but that's okay, they're not bad people and it's cool for them to be the way they want to be", that's a more mature perspective.

11. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Definitely the last part, I have got a Gay friend, who I haven't come out to yet & he is a Feminine Gay Guy, he is so funny & witty, he lives life to the full & I look up to him, he is such a inspiration, Thanks Maddy & everyone for explaining it to me :slight_smile:

12. BlueBear

My mother somehow fits your post. She hated men but her actions were those more of a man. She did the car repairs and was extremely masculine but always wore a flowered dress. She was the fighter if someone tried to take something from us and was always taking on my father.

My feeling at this point was she wanted the respect she believed men got and this came out as a hatred of men. I keep picturing her buying me playboy books when I was nine just to be able to get me to come to her to get more. She had a need to hurt me sexually but at nine I only used them to get the older kids to come over and hang out.