1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Debate on God

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Devious Kitty, May 10, 2013.

1. Devious Kitty

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm a bit curious about people's reasons here. Why do you or don't you be believe in a god or afterlife (or other supernatural belief?)

Feel free to argue/debate about it (I plan to, assuming that people respond.) Just be respectful and follow the EC conduct rules. If you don't like debates about this for whatever reason, then maybe this thread isn't really for you.

I personally don't believe in anything supernatural and for pretty simple reasons. I consider myself a skeptic and naturalist. I have never seen any good reasons to believe or think that anything supernatural exists.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this world is too spectacular for one Man/thing to have miraculously created.
    We humans are no different than any other organism on earth, except that we're dominant. We shouldn't have anything more special that everything else.

Also - There are so many different claims to who/what made the earth, the credibility is gone for me.

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally im agnostic.Im not sure if god exists,and if god exists its something completely different from what religion want us to believe.I believe in science.Also i believe that there is after life,but not in heaven or hell.I believe that humans have energy inside them that does not disappear when we die,but its stored somewhere in the universe.Thats all i believe.

4. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Atheist here. Why? Well, it's pretty simple for me, I have never seen any compelling evidence for the existence of god(s).

5. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I am a bobbyist personally :slight_smile: I believe that this is realm zero, the realm where our essences are born. We must go through trial in this realm for us to be able to maturely handle the awesome fun of the other realms. We all become gods, of a sort, being able to traverse realm to realm on a whim as immortals. It's a nice religon. :thumbsup:

6. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Well my main reason for not believing in God is that I would like to think that an all powerful being wouldn't put a male such as myself into the body of a female. I would like to think that if there was a God, maybe I wouldn't draw demented things at night out of confusion. I would like to think a God wouldn't allow me to try to beat the desire to be male out of myself with a wrench for three years of my life. I would like to believe that my situation has nothing to do with being at the mercy of some all powerful being, but instead some where along the lines wires were crossed and snipped...and that is my cross to bare. Life is what you make it.

7. June Cleaver

When I was 21 I died for 3 min and I floated away in the sky to a place with men in suits and was huvering above them when a tugging feeling from my mid back pulled me and slammed me back into my body. I woke up with mom histericle while I was being worked on. She later told me I died for 3 min. The year leading up to that event I dreamed of dying in the same dream over and over like to prepair me for what was comming. I have always had the most accurate woman's intuition almost esp. It is a curse really because some things are best unknown. I also visited the heavens last November, but was sent back. I will always beleve for Mike. It is up to him what he does with me, but God sent me back twice from death and by all rites I have had 5 close calls in the last year or so that I walked away without a scratch. So my job here is not done. I know God is real and the afterlife is real, because I have been there twise. God has been good to me and answeres my prayers so nobody will convince me otherwise! June

Oh as far as the mistake with my body, he has made up for it by making me desirable to men. The gay ones may not want me but the rest seem to see June and want her, not John the mistake. For June is a sexy desireable woman irresistable to men! For those who fight who they are, you only hold yourself back not God! Enbrase who you are, walk with Him, trust Him, and be the best you can be, and He will send you what you need! Man, woman, or anything! June

#7 June Cleaver, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  8. Devious Kitty

Isn't there a reason for why you believe these things?

9. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    There is,the need of living,the need of the idea that its not just a flash and we die,and then there is nothing.Just that,it may sound stupid,but i dont have any other reasons.

10. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why shouldn't we believe in something? I mean whether you believe there is a God or an afterlife or not it's your personal belief. Personally I believe all religions and philosophies hold truth, but it's those beliefs that shape our afterlife. We know that there are several dimensions and planes of existence that we can't see, so I don't think it's entirely inconceivable that our lifeforce, soul, energy, whatever you want to call it is incapable cycling through these multiple planes of existence and we have absolutely no idea what lies there because we can't see it and I don't believe we'll ever be able to see it. We know that when a person dies there is a lot of energy released from the body and especially the brain and energy doesn't just go away. It may be nothing and at the same time that is the energy of our bodies so it could very well be the physical incarnation of the soul. I don't know if it's possible but isn't at least plausible that energy could travel between planes? There could be an infinite number and could all accommodate a persons specific belief system. We just don't know and I doubt we ever will, but too many people see it in black and white, one's right, one's wrong, this is how it is and it will not deviate from this path, but I really don't think it's that linear. I think we have to think about the shades of gray in between. It's really possible that anything could happen and maybe it just depends on the person and what they believe where this energy goes when we die, or maybe it's all just random chance. Either way I think it's all pretty amazing to think about. :slight_smile:

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no clue what to believe, but if there is a God, I think he would be loving and caring, and as long as you did the same, you're cool with him.

12. Adarya

Ah yes, the great debate of God; I believe the subject will go on forever.

Personally, I am an atheist, yet might hold some belief in life after death. My belief is derived from my feeling of not needing a god in my life to live fully and happily, and ultimately the complete blasphemy that I find in readings/stories like the Bible. Also, that I will not spend my whole life worrying about pleasing a "god" that may or may not exist.

On an entirely different subject I hold an opinion that religion itself is just something that isn't right for me. Too much violence is caused because of religion (there's many other ways to start violence though, too, I understand that) and I don't see much good that comes from it. But hey, if someone believes in a god or feels like they need a god or religion in their life I don't feel the need to discriminate, either.

#12 Adarya, May 10, 2013
  13. Devious Kitty

Well, I guess at least you are pretty blunt about it.

I at first found the near-death experiences idea somewhat compelling, but after looking at it more I had found too many problems. To start, no one ever actually dies during a NDE. Technically, you aren't really dead until your brain dies, and there is no coming back after that (at least not with our current scientific advances.)

That aside though, I suppose one could argue that their "soul" (whatever that is exactly) leaves before you actually die. My first counter to this is that there is no reason to think any sort of soul or anything exists. So you must first assume such a thing exists, that there are no other more reasonable explanations for the experience, and then also assume that an afterlife of some sort somehow exists. That's a lot of assumptions, and to me seems like more like a case of confirmation bias.

I think a much more reasonable explanation is that they are hallucinations. For example, a lot of people will hallucinate that they leave their body. Yet we already know that this is a hallucination because its something that can be produced in the lab during experiments. Also, religious people seem to ignore that NDEs vary so much and ignore more secular NDEs. I recall hearing once about someone hallucinating about a zombie outbreak during a NDE. On the link below they go over a lot of NDEs, including encounters with celebrities, mythological creatures, talking animals and insects, people who were still living, and even fictional characters.

Hallucinatory Near-Death Experiences

Forgive me, but even your own NDE on its own gives me a great deal of pause. It just sounds too anthropomorphic and western 20/21st century.

As for intuition and still being alive after close calls, I don't see how that has anything at all to do with whether there is a god or afterlife. Studies on prayer tend to show either nothing, or sometimes a negative effect (like during a medical surgery.) If there was anything going on there we would expect to see some sort of difference between prayer working and not working (even if only a very small one.) Thus it's pretty easy to conclude that prayer only really works through selective memory and confirmation bias.

14. Ridiculous

Yup. People have bizarre dreams nightly, but if someone claimed that (for example) unicorns are real because they saw one in their dream, they wouldn't be taken seriously at all. I don't see why dreams when you are near-death should be treated any differently.

15. June Cleaver

Since they are my experences, I am the only one who knows for sure. I was only giving my opinion of what I feel to be fact. The knowing things part I feel is my guardian angel wispering in my ear. I should have clairafied that. It so far has been 100% right every time and quite often I avoid desaster when I heed the warning. Example;

1989 summer, While driving up to a red traffic light in the left lane which was the lane I needed to be in BTW a voice screamed "Get into the right lane NOW" and I did. I waited for green and a van pulled where I should have been. The light turned green and as we pulled into the intersection a large 1970's Chrysler driven by a drunk T-boned the van in the drivers door totalling it and me in the right lane barely missed the van comming sideways into me by inches because I floored the Buick's 430V-8 engine to get in front of the van to get back into the lane I needed to be in. Had I been into the left lane, I would have died. The van was high enough off the ground and the driver lived. The drunk hit the van in excess of 60mph pushing them both across my lane into the ditch. The drunk was driving without a licence or insurance and with her 3 kids in that car. I was alone in my car and the radio did not work in that 1969 Buick. I was so freaked my mom had to come drive me home from that experence.

As far as answered prayers, mine are answered with amazing speed and accuracy. Example verifiable by my sister a agnostic who witnessed it. I needed a car to get me by for a couple months so my sister drove me around one weekend and I brought $5,000 to buy one. This one happened in early 2004. By Sunday we were on day 3 and finding nothing. So as we were driving it hit me that I had not prayed and she rolled her eyes! So I did something out of chericter and prayed out loud. I asked for a white Buick with a blue interior that would get decent gas mileage with low mileage and cold A/C well below my price range that would be reliable and meet my needs. In less than a mile! was my prayers answer! It was a 1984 Biuck Regal white with a blue interior V6 engine cold air owned by a 93yo woman the original owner garage kept with 20 thousand miles original for $800 that had been just put out with the for sale sign that moment as we were driving by and the car was brand new still though it was 20 years old!!! Now what are the chances of that????? I had $5,000 cash to spend! It was a great car that when I got my new one I gave it to my mom who fell in love with it's classic style and she drove it for years untill my step father wrecked it. It made my atheist sister become a agnostic! Some progress I guess, but she could not beleve it! My prayer was answered within 5 min. and it was every thing I asked for and what are the chances of that just happening? You will never convence me it was other than God answering my prayers! I could list 1000nds of answeres prayers over the years because God is always faithfull! June

#15 June Cleaver, May 10, 2013
  16. Devious Kitty

So then you are basically saying that you believe it because you feel that you want/need it to be true?

I think we should be interested in whether something is true. As Carl Sagan said when quoting Edmund Way Teale, "It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it."

Does Truth Matter? Science, Pseudoscience, and Civilization - CSI

Nor do I buy the post-modernist mentality that there are "different truths" for different people or that truth is ultimately subjective. (Not that I'm saying you necessarily think this.) As Tim Minchin put it:
    I don't know a whole lot about physics, so I'm not really the one to argue this. Still, I don't see why there is absolutely any reason to think there is some sort of "life-force" in the first place, much less that we have it or that it can do stuff like travel through dimensions.

We are burning through energy all the time. Does that mean we are then constantly losing "soul?" And what reason do we have to at all think energy is anything more than energy? You seem determined to apply some sort of magical aspect to it, when in physics its a physical and natural phenomena. Its easy to try and make something we don't really understand seem magical or "spiritual." What distinguishes speculation about energy being spiritual vs something else like thunder or why trees grow?

I'd say whether its plausible very much depends on whether its possible.

This just sounds very post-modernist to me.

Most people like thinking about this sort of stuff, even me. What always bothers me though is that a lot of people somehow think that considering strange ideas somehow makes them true. I can think about my personal ideas of energy, quantum mechanics, fictional places and even lovely unicorns but I don't think I would be justified in believing them to be real without some sort of strong evidence. Liking interesting ideas doesn't constitute reality. I'm not trying to put this on you; just wanted to point it out. We should all be skeptical.

17. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're right it does pay to be skeptical. I'm simply stating personal beliefs not trying to sway anyone else to believe them. In essence though there is nothing wrong with believing in something. Obviously society has made it out to be bad to believe the "wrong" thing and in the past (and present for that matter) religion has caused terrible acts to be committed, but those are human flaws. Believing in something doesn't kill others it's the people that go to the extremes because they believe it. There could be no truth at all in it, but books like the Bible and Qur'an are here as a means to help people live their lives for good and set a moral code. It becomes bad when people take things from it like "it's their duty to spread Christianity" too far and force others to believe it. I just don't think there's a wrong religion. It's all opinion based.

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

God doesn't exist, but even if it did exist in the Judeo-Christian form, that monster would not be worthy of worship. The sooner people can start evolving beyond this "god" shit and start focusing on making life better for people here on earth, the sooner we can see a better world start to take shape.

19. Devious Kitty

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, and I did say that I was going to debate... Also, just because you experienced them doesn't necessarily mean that they are good reasons to believe in a god or afterlife. People can misinterpret experiences.

There are a lot of reasons as to why personal anecdotes aren't ever good reasons for others (or really even the person who had them) to believe in stuff like this. For one thing, assuming all this is completely true (I'm not trying to question your honesty or anything, there are other issues like memory that come into play) it still doesn't lead you to a god or afterlife. It merely shows that strange things have happened to you and a reason for them would realistically be just unknown. Even prayer always working doesn't mean that there is a god. For example some people think that if you really really believe something it will come true (essentially "The Secret,") or that people have some sort of psychic or paranormal abilities and sixth sense abilities to make strange things happen. This, along with a whole lot of different natural explanations can explain your experiences just as easily as assuming it was due to angels or a god. Sure you believe that it was because of the god you believe in, but that is merely confirmation bias again I'm sad to say...

For several more reasons as to why personal anecdotes shouldn't be convincing evidence for the supernatural or paranormal (even to the person who had them,) I turn to this brief (but long) overview by Novella on the brain.

[YOUTUBE]v8BcqrKOb1A[/YOUTUBE]

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Han Solo: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Yes, I've been to several countries and continents, and I guess even observing those places never got me to "there is a god"

Most, if not all of the stuff that happen nowadays have perfectly scientific reasons for what happened, even biblical ones. I'll give an example: Sodom and Gomorrah.

Sodom and Gomorrah were built on the Saudi-Arabian Fault, about a mile or so away from the extremely active Volcano Santorini that resides on the coast of the Dead Sea. That would explain the "Fire and brimstone" which, as we all know is volcanic sulfuric rock. The fact that the cities were also just outside of the volcano would also explain why they were destroyed within hours.

I'm much more inclined to believe the cities were destroyed by a volcano than "God did it"

That being said, I'd think it's arrogant to think that there is no god at all, and stick to that forever. For all we know, there could be a god working within the fabric of spacetime that we probably have never heard about or seen from. My guess is that if there is a god, then the god that has been portrayed in any religion that we know of today is probably not the god that exists.

Now even with that being said, there could be a possibility that the Judeo-Christian god is real. There could be a possibility that the Greek gods are real. There could even be a possibility that Homestuck may be more accurate than it seems, and that our universe is actually a frog, and that it was created by an alien race playing the same game that created their universe.

Science has found more evidence than any religion, and that is what people nowadays are looking at, believing in and following. And logically, that's understandable. But on the flipside, anybody could be wrong.

So where do I stand? Wherever the hell things are. If there's a god, then cool. If there isn't a god, then that's fine as well.