1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, May 11, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a Masculine Gay Guy who is very much in the closet, are the years, various people have either asked if I am Gay or insinuated that I am Gay, to me I act like a Straight Guy & to a lot of other people they presume I am Straight, so why do a handful of people think I am Gay lol I know I am, but that's not the point, an openly Gay Guy at work, told one of the people who I have come out to that his Gaydar told him that I was Gay, any thoughts anyone?

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is that you on your profile?

3. IceKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're just so sexy like that :grin:

4. Hefiel

You might be a case of glass closet? In that you think you're hiding properly in the closet, but the reality is somewhat "obvious" to the people around.

5. Hexagon

Maybe people have just noticed you don't date women.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing how many people that are convinced they're fooling everyone and are undetectable are actually pretty obvious to anyone with well-tuned gaydar.

I've said this before, but my friends and I will occasionally, when we're in a large group (say at a college event) where a lot of people know each other, play "find the hidden fairy" which is basically a joking way of describing the process of looking for closeted guys. And it can be interesting to see ones that you know are gay, and wait for them to come out. Sometimes it's weeks, sometimes years.

So people are probably on to you more than you realize. :slight_smile:

7. prism

Pretty much what Chip said. I'm on the more feminine end of the spectrum, and for years I was baffled by how many people wanted to know if I was gay. You don't have to be flamboyant for people to catch on. Sometimes it's the little things that we do that give us away.

8. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Id tell them Im not gay just too sweet.

9. sme

sme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem... I'm a very feminine girl, I don't really talk to girls much, I'm with guys a lot of the time, and I almost always.. 'had' a boyfriend... Even still, I was asked out by girls. :/ If only I had started accepting myself earlier...

10. Cotillion

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had people asking me if I was gay, in earnest and not jokingly, well before I'd even given the thought any consideration (so it wasn't a thing I was trying to hide; I legitimately had no idea, had never had any attraction to guys (or people), etc.), so I am similarly curious as to what particular traits it is that people apparently picked up on. I'm not at all "femmy", and, well, I can't really think of any other gay stereotypes off the top of my head to try and examine.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it has anything to do with being feminine or conforming to other gay stereotypes. It's probably a combination of many subconscious signs that people pick up on, ie avoiding discussions of the opposite sex, showing little to no interest in the opposite sex, having had no experience with sex or relationships with the opposite sex. These don't mean always mean someone is definitely gay, but they will set off alarms and have some people scratching their chins.

And yeah, there are probably others involving mannerisms, preferences, physical features, and even pheromones, according to one study; those are just some of the big ones for me. You sometimes get a 'vibe' with certain people, which, for me, only makes me pay much closer attention if I'm curious enough. Some, you never know for sure. I do think some people might be better at picking up on these clues and guessing with greater accuracy, though, unless you're a psychic, there's really no way to be sure.

One of my female friends says I seemed 'different', and that she is naturally attracted to 'different' people. I've pressed her time and time again, asking for an explanation, but it always seems ambiguous at best. Looking back, all those seemingly 'innocent' questions did seem to lead to something more - she now treats me something like a GBF. :lol:

12. June Cleaver

It is strange how it works. Women never know I am trans and quite often want to date John thinking he is a straight man, but men always see June and accept her and treat her like a lady, where as gay guys always dislike me for some reason. It's like a triple standard! I can always pick the gay ones out, because they usuailly stair me down with daggers as the rest of the guys in the room give me attention, or just plain won't give me the time of day if it is one on one. As for you, if that blond in the pic is you, you are too perfect to be straight. June

13. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some of my friends KNEW I was, others thought I was always flirting with girls...

I guess some are just magic and know.

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you talk about women like straight guys do? What's your dating history with women? Maybe they form their opinions based on stuff like that.

15. caughtbywitness

haha, I don't think so, unless he's in One Direction!

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao: I have given up explaining :badgrin: but you never know, my name might be Niall Lol