1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jung Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sartoris, May 11, 2013.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wasn't sure whether to include this in chit chat or the media subforum, but recently I've restarted Carl Jung's autobiography/memoir Memories, Dreams, Reflections, hopefully finishing it this time around.

I've been curious about psychology for a long time and especially keen on getting into Jung's writings and wondered if anyone more familiar with his work could recommend anything to me after finishing this book? With the consideration that I may have to blind buy something in the future, as my library's database has none of the full volumes from Bollingen's 'Collected Works.'

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might do a wall posting with Foxface. He's a Jungian therapist so I'm sure he'd have some recommendations.

If you want to get some interesting insight into Jung, I recommend tracking down a copy of "Jung on Film", a detailed one-hour interview with Jung from the early 1960s. His interviewer was also a therapist so the conversation is pretty in-depth and gives some good insights. There's a longer version available from some scholarly press, but it's like $250 last I looked.

He's also got some fascinating writings on Eastern spirituality (kundalini, chakras, and so forth) and how they fit into his view of psychology. I don't remember the title, but I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

Many of his works are available used, pretty inexpensively, so you might check Bookfinder.com.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is quite long, but if your are into Jung, it's worth listening to :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]rRWUT6ZYNNc[/YOUTUBE]

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chip: Perhaps, though I'm still unaccustomed to randomly posting on people's walls. :icon_redf

I'll definitely jot down the documentary, though, and hopefully I can turn something up in the future [or at least ask one of my online cinephile friends for a 'connection'...]

I'd be extremely interested in reading his thoughts on Eastern spiritualities, as that's another area I've long wanted to explore. Thanks for mentioning the website as well, I actually hadn't heard of it before [but then, my book-buying is very intermittant.]

Dublin: Thanks! I'll definitely be saving that. :slight_smile:

Don't mind that it's 'long,' just regret that it'll probably be awhile until I can view/listen to it since my computer's speed is very slow, and thus makes it difficult to watch any videos online these days. :dry:

5. Foxface

wow...I mean you couldn't have picked a better topic for me

As Chip explained I am a Jungian therapist. Now then let's get to the topic at hand

If you don't already have it, the Red Book is a great place to start. A great primer is Man and His Symbols. Psychological Types is a great book to have if you are going to dig into Carl.

And ANY time you want to post on my wall with a question I guarantee a response. I could talk about Jung for days...so I apologize in advance

Foxface

6. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No need to apologise, I would gladly welcome any discussion on the subject [Jung, or psychology in general] as it's an area I've always wanted to explore further. Took an AP course in high school, then two in college but never pursued it beyond those.

I don't have The Red Book, the aforementioned memoir is the only work of his I have currently, though my library has a copy. I'm actually surprised you would recommend that, I would've thought it something to be read after only becoming deeply familiar with him and his work.

Believe they also have a copy of Man and His Symbols, so I'll definitely look into that as well as keep an eye out for Psychological Types [from what I've gathered, this seems like an essential text.]

Possibly a stupid question, but have you read Aion?

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Especially if you're interested in typology of any kind (MBTI, Socionics, Kiersey). There's so much disinformation out there, and a lot of it comes down to a dire lacking of background in Jung.

8. Foxface

I have not

and ANY time you want to wall me...let's chat. I grew up loving psych and although it wasn't what I originally went into undergrad for it's my love. Psych and Carl Jung

Maybe I will start a psych Q/A if that doesn't sound too cocky of me

Foxface

9. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Frankly, I had to look up what typology is.... But I think this text would've been up my alley regardless. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th May 2013 at 10:44 PM ----------

Ah, so that ends that line of questioning. :lol: I was browsing some Amazon reviews of his works and that one sounded especially interesting to me, among others, from what I read.

Thanks, I may take you up on that offer. :slight_smile: Also, from my experience, I've had the impression many psych students didn't originally start there [funny how that is, assuming it's generally true.]

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have read Jung's Memories, Dreams and Reflections, and have been quite interested in the significance of his psychology, and more particularly his lakeside residence in Switzerland: Bollingen. This home was described by some as one of the most significant works of architecture in the 20th century, precisely because Jung's meanings and symbolisms are built right into it.

He has written very interesting works on religion and the current zeitgeist, not to mention his thought on archetypes, synchronicity and faith...He's an extremely interesting thinker and well worth reading and understanding...

11. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What did you think of MDR? So far I've completed the first two chapters and find the way he describes his spiritual development and certain emotional experiences fascinating. Though I don't believe the entire book will continue in this manner, from what I understand.

Don't think I've heard about his home before [though now I see where the American edition of his collected writings got it's name.]

"his thought on archetypes, synchronicity and faith...He's an extremely interesting thinker and well worth reading and understanding..." This is exactly why I've wanted to read his work, in addition to learning more about psychological types and individuation.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found it to be a very powerful memoir of his interior life. There was one particular passage that struck me, it involved an experience very similar to mine as a young child, an obsession with things too impossibly small and too impossibly big, it was weird to me, but to see it written as experienced by him was extraordinary (read about his funny description of the Fever Bird that he listened to while in Africa).

I admire his courage in putting it all out there, his phallic fantasies, visions of ghosts, fainting in Rome, and his vivid premonition of the first world war.

Bollingen, for me, is very similar to the life that Thoreau describes in his two years living alone in a small cabin by Walden Pond. Jung lived there without telephones or other distractions. He lived there simply, with a fireplace stove and other rudimentary means of living. He could think, write, sculpt and paint there, often alone There is a room in that house that is locked, and only very few people were ever allowed in. The house became a physical manifestation of his inner life, and the core of it is in that room.

I learned from Jung that a failure must be celebrated and that "success" can be dangerous.

13. Foxface

The archetypes and the collective unconscious are exactly what spawned me into interest in Jung. Then when I read on I just couldn't stop learning about his theories. Then I entered internship and started using his techniques (to the best of my ability) and found that they really can relate to clients. And opening up those archetypes for personal analysis has a powerful and deep impact.

Foxface

14. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, definitely. All the more so as he's trying to explain things experienced as a young child/adolescent, but from the perspective of much older and learned person [perhaps the text is a synthesis of personalities No. 1 & 2, in that respect.]

When you mention an obsession with impossibly small and large things, do you mean such as with his manikin/soul stone and nature, respectively? In a sense, I think I can relate to that as well, though I can't remember any particular 'rituals' [though I've long had an interest in various sorts of small, miniature, etc. things as well as the opposite.] I'll try to keep in mind the Fever Bird when I come across that section [and I'm also curious to read about this premonition which I hadn't really heard about before.]

Bollingen sounds, and looks, like a beautiful estate and I'll have to read more about it. I admire it's medieval look [reminds me of the sort of watchtower-castles one sees on German rivers.]

I've begun to get a sense of his perspectives on failure, darkness, etc. and it seems to align with how I think and feel about things already. It's actually been strange that when I experience low moments myself that they impact me far more than 'successes' [in any respect,] as well as I cannot truly say that I wish something didn't happen or was happening, rather that I want to move past it.

---------- Post added 12th May 2013 at 01:52 PM ----------

If you don't mind my asking, how did you first come across Jung?

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]7xq4wNaPm_o[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 12th May 2013 at 07:24 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]tieXr9hAx2I[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 12th May 2013 at 07:25 PM ----------

[YOUTUBE]EHEAjxnBVOQ[/YOUTUBE]

16. Foxface

If you don't mind my asking, how did you first come across Jung?[/QUOTE]

absolutely.

I have a masters in Clinical Psychology and am therapist (still looking for a job mind you)

When I was in undergraduate I remember vague mentions of Jung and the levels of the unconscious. Then that was it...No other mentions. I hate that Freud get's all the discussion and yet Jung gets left out of some textbooks and discussions

So I entered graduate school and we were required to declare our methodology by year two. So one of the first classes we went to involved learning advanced theory and technique on many manners of therapy such as CBT, Person centered, Existential, Feminist...blah blah

Well I got lucky and got the ONE instructor who was a Feminist-Jungian therapist (it's an amazing combination). She took me under her wing and trained me as a Jungian Feminist therapist. I then went to work for her to get closer to her and her training. My actual expertise is in trauma but I am what one would consider a Feminist-Jungian therapist.

that's my story!

Foxface

17. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I haven't studied Psych in depth, I'm still surprised that Jung would be so underemphasised in most of your curriculum.

Feminist-Jungian sounds like an intriguing combination... I'll have to look into that. :slight_smile:

18. Foxface

I will try to stay on track here

The core concept of Feminist psychology is that "the political is personal." Meaning that social constructs and environment and what surrounds you in life affects you (often negatively when it comes to social constructs). We see it all around us everyday. homophobia, gender roles, ageism, sexism...you get the idea

So the idea behind Feminist psychology techniques is to explore you personal side and then the constructs and environment that surrounds you and how it affects you

This is a ridiculously short and brief summation but it gives you the idea of Feminist psychology.

Now then to get back on track

A Jungian Feminist is a therapist who uses the ideas of constructs and political and personal tension and combines this with the use of archetypes and other Jungian techniques to explore the political and social constructs. It's an amazing and very little know combination of therapies

That's how I work in session

Foxface

19. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though just a summation, it sounds like a combination I'd like to explore someday. [Ramble Warning.] I'm not sure if it's entirely related, but it seems to fall in line about how I've been reflecting on the notion of one's, various, identities. With LGBT* ones in particular, I cannot help but think, as you implied, that they seem to be formed as a result of or in reaction to (negative) social constructs.

Since I, personally, value the notion of being able to understand all sides of one's self as much as possible, I think it's important to have these identities and make it possible so that they can be defined, one day, strictly in an affirming sense of self-realisation rather than in reaction to societal attitudes.

20. Foxface