1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The giant quote thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Chickenlover, May 11, 2013.

1. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    In my time here I have noticed a lot of quote threads going around. Most of them die after the first few pages, which I think is a shame because quotes are so wonderful. I love reading quotes, I keep pages and pages of them on my computer, and I find that reading them and memorizing them really helps me keep perspective. So I thought that we could compile all those dusty old quote threads into one mega-thread for everyone. I'm sure that we all have times where we would like some quote reading. I imagine that this thread will die shortly too, but I figure that it's always worth a try.
    So, has anyone got some quotes they'd like to share? I'll go first with some of my favourites.

(By the way, I find copying down the authors of quotes a waste of time and space. So I'm not going to. But if you want to know the originator of a quote, go ahead and ask me and I'll find it for you.)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind." - This is my all-time favourite quote. To me it says just about everything, and is so helpful when trying to come out.

"Never be afraid to do something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the titanic."

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I-I took the road less travelled by, and it has made all the difference. "

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - I have heard many interpretations of this. My personal interpretation was that in the End, we remember not the harsh words our enemies speak to us, but the silence of our friends as they fail to defend us. I have also heard that in the End, we do not remember the words of our enemies, bu those times that our friends were there for us without ever needing to speak. My friend interpreted it that the friends were all dead because the enemies killed them, but that's just her. This quote doesn't really fit a supportive or comforting theme much, but I like it and I'm interested to hear your interpretations of it!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"

I have about fifty more, but I figured that this would do it as well. Anyone got any awesome quotes? Quotes that made you feel better when you were down? Quotes that made you smile, or that made you angry, or forced you take a stand? Quotes that you just like, or quotes that remind you to keep fighting?

2. Hefiel

I'll contribute a bit with quotes from my text file I keep on my computer. You'll probably find a recurring theme amongst the quotes I store on that file, but that's why they're there. :grin:

"Great Spirits Have Always Encountered Violent Opposition from Mediocre Minds." - Albert Einstein

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and Human Stupidity, and I'm not sure about the Universe" - Albert Einstein

"Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything." - Frank Dane

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato

“There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
    Example affects their thoughts, just as it affects their action. They are like sheep following the bellwether wherever he leads them. They would sooner die than think.” - Schopenhauer

"The more unintelligent a man is, the less mysterious existence seems to him." - Arthur Schopenhauer

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - Confucius

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "One is only old once his regrets outnumber his dreams." ~Unknown, but unforgettable.

"Do not try to argue with an idiot; he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience." ~Mark Twain (paraphrased)

And to lighten the mood, one inspired by the famous quote by Julius Caesar.

"Vidi, vici, veni." (I saw, I conquered, I came.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Chickenlover

Those are awesome guys! Thanks!
    I have a few more.

"The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. "

“The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.”*

"Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hurt you for hurting me."

"Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down. "

“About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.”*
    ―*Rita Mae Brown

"You're the only one who can make the difference. Whatever your dream is, go for it."

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

5. Thank you for making my day!:roflmao:

"A man without a woman is like a fish without a bicycle" still take's the cake for me though.

6. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Here are some points I made up for myself as a reminder (though, easier said than done):

Don’t criticize your younger self for not knowing; criticize your present self if you know better, but still making the same mistakes.

Don’t treat younger people negatively just because they seem clueless. If you have the opportunity, be their voice of reason. Approach older people as if they are younger.

If it can be imagined, it is possible.

Make your own ‘special effects’ in your life if you don’t like the current scene.

Even if the whole world isn’t to your liking, you can turn the inside of your home into whatever you want.

Reality is perhaps 75% perspective. Pretend your way through a bad day if it helps to carry on.

If your stress cup becomes too full, cry some of it out.

7. QueerQueen

“Love doesn’t make the world go round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.”

“The only thing constant in life is change.”

“Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.”

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

8. Ridiculous

"Fee fi fo fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman."
    ___________________________________________- a giant

Did I read the thread title right?
    Sorry I am immature but I couldn't help it.

9. Hefiel

Another (short) wave of quotes

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Ghandi

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyèr

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

10. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." - Mahatma Ghandi

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - A.A Milne

"You may feel alone when you're lying in bed, or cry yourself to sleep. But always remember that your heart belongs to someone you've yet to meet, and, someday, you will be loved." - Rita Ghatourey

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr.

"I believe that marriage isn't between a man and woman; but between love and love." - Frank Ocean

"No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it." - Macklemore

"The forest that once was green was colored black by those killing machines." - Of Monsters and Men

:slight_smile:

11. Chickenlover

I love all of these! Bring them on!
    I have a few more.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”