1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has This Happened to Anyone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, May 11, 2013.

1. Candace

It's now the summer between my junior and senior year in college. I've just now finished signing up for my courses. My major is Public Policy, with a concentration in Non-profit. This happened to me today:

Has anyone ever stopped and thought if they chose the wrong major in college? Like "why the hell am I studying this and not something else??". The description of my courses seemed reallyyyyyyyyyy challenging and not what I was expecting, but I have many options to choose from (thank GOD) haha.

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks here.

If possible, list your major. (for those already in college).

2. MrBrightside

I think everyone debates whether they chose the right courses for higher education.

Im presuming college in the US is like university in the uk?

I started out doing politics and economics joint and only realised a couple weeks back (almost 2 years in) that the economics wasnt where i saw my future and dropped it. So now im doing a politics and international relations degree.

My flat mates also have debated their choices, with one changing degree and skipping the end of their current one and the other contemplating quitting uni altogether.

Its perfectly natural to question your choices, but in my opinion if you are doing something you enjoy it will make the years of education alot better and in the end you may get a job you enjoy. Its about happiness and not money at the end of the day :slight_smile:

3. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good Lord, yes. I actually changed major so many times, I swear the college had to add new courses, just so there would be classes I could take. >.o

4. Candace

YEAH! That's the other thing. My academic evaluation says "you can take class X Y or Z but X Y and Z aren't even offered?! WTF :***:??!

I'm having to take summer classes, 2 of them. What I always do/have done is have 4 major classes, then one filler class...that "easy A" class, so that I could keep my sanity.

If I had to do it over again, I would have done geography or history as my major. I just thought Public Policy would be more practical and most aligned with "city planning" which is I love :slight_smile:.

P.S., I like your photo of Patrick! hahahaha :lol:

5. Abraxas

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It can be a hassle, that's a fact. I was always stuck with science and math classes, with a few language classes for some added flavor. =P

And thanks! Patrick is rocking those boots, with those great legs of his. ;x

6. Candace

Yeah, for the most part it is (I have a colleague who studied at Nottingham for a year, so I know hehe). That's the thing too, I am not really good at math, so microecon. was a pain in the bollocks for me this semester:help:. Fortunately I passed it, so crisis avoided. Also...politics sometimes bore me:sleep: , but I can deal with it. What requirement courses have you had to take for your major?

7. AlamoCity

Don't worry you're young and this happens to almost everyone. I started as a sociology major, quickly changed to pre-med (took several years of math, biology, physics, ochem), and then realized I hated dealing with people who were sick. Finally, I changed my major to economics because I liked the subject matter and the versatility of the degree.

Also, there were many semesters that I questioned my major and I think you would be in the minority if you didn't at least question your major once.

8. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah it's pretty normal. I went from Zoology with a focus on Herpetology to Biology to General Studies to Information Systems Technology to I have no clue to American Sign Language to "graduated" with only a Certificate in ASL to a year off from school back to IST at a different college, and once I'm finished there and I find a job, I'm planning on going back to get a degree in Video Game Design sometime down the road. It's like this because my parents blew my entire college fund without me knowing, so it was fun finding out that I couldn't pay to attend the college I was accepted to.:***:

I feel like I'm going to be in school all my life.:dry:

#8 Absol, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Believe it or not, I started as a Comp Eng major, which is the last thing a person like me should choose, since mathematics and related subjects are not my forte, nor am I interested in any of them. Sure, it's more practical, but I'd be miserable taking classes and working in that field, so a social science it is, even if it means minimum wage. Linguistics is for me because I'm obsessed with the subject and never feel satisfied enough with what knowledge I already have. Grad school might be in the horizon.

10. The username

atmospheric science -> civil engineering -> cs -> civil engineering
    I like my major now, but yeah, I was fairly indecisive.

11. Mrcake

I did this already: One year of college for media studies diploma, two years of college for general degrees, spent several months getting ready to transfer to a school for audio engineering and that failed, now going to another college for dietetics for two years. That means I will have spent 5 years instead of 4 or less, oh well, I'm only 21 so it is okay.

12. MrBrightside

Yeah i was told before i came to uni there was no maths in econ, yet with a joint honours its all you do. I can do it, just bores me.

All i had to take was politics and international relations courses in the first two years, and i did economics too so i have 3 degree options or a joint of two of them.

Here though we have to do "breadth of study" so we are forced to do 4 subjects a semester so we try out a few subjects before we have to decide for sure what we want to do. Kinda handy to put your mind at ease really.