1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're too pretty to be a Lesbian!"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kraftykrow, May 13, 2013.

1. kraftykrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm back to share yet another story!

This guy who comes in the library where I work, very often is... well, I would say eccentric, but that's most of the people who come to our libraries, came in two days ago and was chatting us ladies up like usual. He's very friendly with everyone, if not a little too friendly. But anyways, two days ago I was helping him yet again at the computer, because he refuses to learn anything about them, and we had been picking on him about having a girlfriend because he was telling us all about this girl he's been talking to.

In a nutshell, he said something about not being able to sleep or eat and I said I know that feeling but I wasn't there anymore. He got all worried about my relationship, I told him it was ending because we had different interests. Then he looked at me like he was scared or something and said, "Don't tell me it's what I think." I was a bit taken aback and said, "Well we aren't on bad terms. We're friends." He looked relieved and said, "I thought you were going to tell me you were leaving him cause you liked girls or something." :icon_wink So I said, "Well, yeah pretty much." His head spun around to look at me and he says with great disappointment, "No! 'Raven'! You're too pretty to like girls!" And then he preceded in telling me that I needed to find a good man and he'd be watching out for me.

At the time I was offended and only laughed politely then walked away. But by the time I got back to the desk I was laughing because this guy is really just an ignorant old goofball, who doesn't know what he's talking about. But also, it's very sad if he thinks only "ugly" girls like girls. We all know better, don't we pretty ECers? :thumbsup:

2. Sapphy

I get this often, too.

So yes, we definitely know better :grin:

3. kraftykrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've never heard this one before myself, but most people don't know I like girls unless they ask. One person did tell me I didn't look manly enough once :/ That wasn't so funny.

4. Sapphy

Same here, I'm what people would probably call a 'Lipstick Lesbian'. I'm pretty feminine so apparently it's not that obvious!

I've been told I'm too girly/pretty/good looking to be a lesbian many times. People have also replied, "What a waste!" which is really quite hurtful.

5. kraftykrow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is hurtful :frowning2: Most of my friends are boys, so when they find out they seem to think it's awesome. Not all of them, not the ones I'm closest to at least. But I still find it annoying. I'm a Lipstick Lesbian too I guess... well more tomboy.

6. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Umm..... Is it okay if I comment on this... Because I have gotten my fair share of "But, but, but, Oh dang it why are all the good looking men gay"s in my lifetime, though it also relieves a few people. And does the fact that I am often mistaken for a girl help my ability to comment on this thread. I will stop typing now.

7. I've heard basically all of these used somewhere before, by family and friends mostly. It's quite easy to deal with if you don't mind insulting people.
    One time I was out with a few friends (some of the few people I'd told) at one of the shopping centres in Edinburgh. We were at the food court and a group of guys passed our table. One came up behind me and said something like 'your way too hot for these losers. Come with us beautiful people"
    All of them laughed and I just said 'not in this lifetime'
    Him: 'why not?'
    Me:'your not my type'
    Him: 'sexy's not for you?'
    Me: 'your not what I look for in a girlfriend'
    Him: 'aw, come off it. Your too pretty to be gay'
    Me: 'does that make you too ugly to be straight?'

All my friends thought it was pretty funny. He just kind of cursed, called me a bitch and slunk off.

8. Dreamscale

I have encountered similar reaction when I told the guy who was courting me at that time. He added something like, " Nooo, it can't be. It's just a phase" and "but you're a girl girl girl, please don't try to be a guy".
    Eh.

I feel you. They definitely said the same thing to me. :frowning2: :frowning2:

9. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not very nice on his part. That seems to be a typical way homophobic straight men with an entitlement complex will try to put down gay women. Because, y'know, any woman that doesn't want their dick is clearly a bitch or ugly.

10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lesbians need love too. Why should we be stuck with ladies who men don't want? (Not that we wouldn't love them anyway)

(!)

11. QueerQueen

I get this all the time, a couple times from my own mother who I came out to a couple years ago. A lot of guys that I meet through my friends add me on fb and ask me to hang out, then when they hit on me and I tell them I'm a lesbian they don't want to anymore. It kind of bothers me because I don't have a lot of guy friends at all because of this, it's not that I like guy friends more than girls in any way it would just be nice to have more friends.

12. Kat kanu

yeah i get that too i don't understand it but whatever lol

13. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a few ex guy friends act like that. Every time I wore guy's pants or shirts, they'd be like,'Why can't you be more feminine? Why can't you wear dresses?' They'd then tell me to stop trying to be a guy. Which really hurt me because I was just trying to be myself and be confident, and it really messed with my already iffy self-esteem. I hated dresses, and still do. I don't mind skirts, but I don't like dresses because I look so awkward in them and feel stifled. I even had one former guy friend that was rude about my sexuality. I'm so glad I don't talk to that particular guy anymore, I believe he was just mad and upset because I refused to date him in high school and also because I was friends with a few of his ex girlfriends. But I totally sympathize with this whole discussion. I've had friends have this happen to them, and I've had a form of it happen to myself as well.

#13 Idris, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  14. eatsleepclimb

Just because a lot of us don't look girly doesn't mean we aren't pretty... :frowning2:

15. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nobody says it to me. :frowning2: :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    Society makes it so hard for girls, with the magazines and everything. They expect girls to look,dress and act one specific way, and when they don't there's ridicule and all of this toys with one's self esteem. I do agree with the other poster it's just them being uneducated and relying too heavily on stereotypes. I hope I made some sense here.

18. BlueBear

The statement just shows that some people don’t use logic to investigate their beliefs but instead take them from someone they like or TV. I find most lesbians extremely attractive but who someone is..is more dominate for me than their physical appearance. His statement seems similar to a fag hag.

19. quirkysecret

This is EXACTLY why I don't even go there with some guys. I just say I'm not interested or I'm involved because of how ridiculous it can be to deal with such things! It's bad enough that i deal with the stereotyping at home! I swear the other day my mom was like, "I don't get why Ellen sells make up, I mean she clearly wants to be a man!" :eusa_doh:

P.S Hello all! new here! hope you don't mind me crashing the discussion:smilewave

20. LoveMusicPoetry

I have never been told that I'm too pretty to be a lesbian. Clearly I'm ugly enough to qualify.