1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voices

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by eatsleepclimb, May 14, 2013.

1. eatsleepclimb

So, I know there is a stereotype that gay men are supposed to have higher voices and lesbians are supposed to have lower ones. Is this at all true for anyone? I have and have always had a low voice, I have the lowest singing voice in my class (which is all girls).
    Do you think this is just another stereotype or does it have some truth to it? What are your experiences?

2. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not true for me. It's just a stereotype.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a stereotype. I've been told my voice ranges from medium to high pitch, although I think it's a bit lower.

4. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've got a bass voice. It always sounds higher than it is to me, but when I hear recordings it sounds really low.

5. AAASAS

I don't find the lesbian thing to be true as much as the gay thing.

Though a lot of straight dudes have high voices.

My voice is booming not super low, but really loud and aggressive so I don't think I have it.

6. photoguy93

Well....it's definitely a stereotype, yet...I think it's true. Haha.

Or, it's true at least for some. I have a higher voice than some guys. One of my best friends is bi (pretty much a lesbian) and she's got a very deep voice. I think it's really how we speak, you know?

7. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Yep, this is definitely not true. I sing bass in choir, but my vocal range has increased, so I will probably be able to sing baritone next year. Anyways, your sexuality has nothing to do with your voice. Although I have noticed that several gay people in my area speak with a lisp, which I don't really understand why they do that. I think that some people speak with a higher pitch voice because it is the stereotype for gays, and they may want to live up to it. But I personally think it's a false stereotype.

8. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a deep monotone voice and I tend to mumble, so the stereotype is not true for all instances.

9. Candace

I'm a gay guy and my voice is actually a lot lower than most guys...so....that kinda doesn't that stereotype, now does it?

I actually slip more into a NY accent (and deeper voice, I suppose) when I get angrier and get pissed off.

#9 Candace, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  10. Pain

Pain Guest

I have an average voice. My voice tends to get higher when I act straight. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it's funny :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Candace

How is that possible? ahahaha

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I've got a soprano voice. It's probably not as bad as I think (I can get pretty husky when I want to) but yeah, not something I'm proud of. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oddly enough, I'm an alto when I sing. I can hit the lower ranges fairly easily with a little diaphragm work.

13. ReyJ

My voice is actually quite low, but I can happily speak way higher than any of the girls I know so I guess I kinda fit the stereotype.

14. NeatlyOrganized

I believe this actually has a lot to do with hormonal production, and yes some gay do produce more estrogen than your average man, and yes some gay women produce more testosterone then your average woman. Although this could just as easily be true for straight men and women. Stereotype, yes I suppose so.

15. Black Swan

Probably a stereotype, although my singing vocal range is slightly lower, not that you'd notice though.

16. letitgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is it really that much of a stereotype? Then how come so many gay guys I know do have high-pitched voices and do sound more feminine than a lot of other guys? I'm not saying every single gay guy has a high-pitched voice, but still.

I'm one of those guys. When I hear my voice I'm always like "is it really that obvious that I'm gay?" lol But yeah. Someone said that a lot of gay guys try to live up to that stereotype and that's simply ridiculous haha. Why would anyone want to do that? Specially since being "masculine" seems to be more important to gay guys than to straight guys at this point. There's so much hatred directed at feminine guys within the gay community and just as no one chooses to be gay, I don't think anyone chooses to be masculine or feminine either.

#16 letitgo, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  17. evora

My voice is average I think. I'm not sure. When I was younger, I hated it wasn't as high as the most popular girl's in class and I thought people would think I'm a boy because of it. Now I have no idea how I could think that because it's not deep at all, even though it got a bit deeper since then.

It's funny how I can change the way I sound. It's not always the same. Like today, I didn't care how low it got. I even liked it!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At other times, I can make it higher as I speak for hours and hours, usually with my grandparents or people I'm trying to make a good impression on, i.e. make absolutely sure they won't think I'm gay in a any way...:rolle:

18. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, my voice is actually kind of deep, or so I've been told.

19. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    My speaking voice is pretty average, if not just a little lower than average, but i sing soprano, and people tend to say its more how "emphatic" i speak than my voice's tonality itself. Maybe its that like... Oh my god, i love your sweater... lol it might be how they say it more than "How" they say it if you get my drift.