1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abortion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Connor, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Connor

Connor Guest

Debate.
    Please do be polite, no personal attacks or insults are allowed. Be polite and argue against someone else's view, but do not use insults to achieve this.

Questions to answer (you may say anything you like):
    - What do you think of abortion, and why?;
    - Would you categorise yourself as "pro-choice", "pro-life" or neither?;
    - Do you think adoption should replace abortion?;
    - Overall... Abortion: why or why not?

My views are that abortion should always be legal unless the pregnancy has reached its third trimester (unless there are health risks for the mother). I would describe myself as pro-choice. I think adoption and abortion should both be completely available and encouraged if needed. Abortion is often favoured over adoption in situations such as rape because of the trauma of the whole experience. Also, it's the woman's body. She has the right to do what she wants with it.

Also, I find this map to be helpful in debates such as these: Laws on abortion around the world.

#1 Connor, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  2. Urman

Urman Guest

I belive abortion is murder life starts at condiception.Abortion is taking a life and its wrong i think it is just as bad as a murderer.By having abortions its saying its ok to kill someone and yes it is the same.I am pro life however exception with murderers and ect.. cough abortionors and such it is wrong and should never be used NO Exceptions. and thats my view :slight_smile:

3. Connor

Connor Guest

What about when a woman is raped and this results in pregnancy?

4. Alexander

I'm against abortion. If people forget the consequences of having unprotected/safe sex, that doesn't mean they shouldn't have to bear them. And yeah yeah, it's so hard all the time to remember to take one pill or put on a new condom, or there's rapes or whatever... I mean, it doesn't even show until the last three months, and most women don't have to change their lifestyle dramatically to continue carrying the baby. There's tons of people out there who want to adopt newborn babies -> just get over yourself and carry the child. 6 months you notice it, you have to make better choices. That's it. Some family will cherish the new child even if you won't.

5. Urman

Urman Guest

I herd that so many times look at the statistics

6. Urman

Urman Guest

rape is very sad but as per before^

7. Alexander

I would think that a woman who really looked at her life wouldn't make the situation worse by killing a baby after she was raped...

8. Connor

Connor Guest

But rape is hugely traumatic, is it fair at all to expect a woman to carry something around for 9 months that she didn't even take the risk of having? Think, a a man and a woman have sex with no contraception and the woman falls pregnant. Was it her fault? Did she risk it? Yes. Now consider it with a rape victim.

I don't understand this.

#8 Connor, Apr 14, 2008
  9. Steam Giant

The real question is, when can the egg be called human? To be honest, I view the fetus in the same light that I view the eggs in the ovaries. Those eggs are potential lives too, are they not? And don't they get discarded, over the years, on a monthly basis? I view that as a loss of potential human life too, but you know what, they can't all be born. So if one of them becomes fertilized by accident, I feel it's not too late to go back on things, until, of course, the maximum age that abortions are allowed.

10. Alexander

Rape is sad but abortion is the worst kind of murder.

11. Connor

Connor Guest

A woman who is raped and becomes pregnant has to experience the consequences (physical and psychological) for life. A foetus which is aborted knows nothing about it.

12. Jonathan

I would have to say that because it is the woman's body, she should have the option of abortion should she want it...so I guess that would make me pro-choice.

13. Alexander

How would you know? Are you a fetus? Somehow I think that the pain of having your brain sucked out of your head exists at every age?

EDIT: and aren't there consequences physical and mental when you die? :grin:

#13 Alexander, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  14. Connor

Connor Guest

Foetuses cannot think nor feel, a foetus only develops a brain after a certain amount of time in the womb. So it cannot feel pain because there is no brain or nerves. The brain is still developing at 26 to 38 weeks.

#14 Connor, Apr 14, 2008
  15. Alexander

Studies proving this please? :slight_smile:

16. Steam Giant

17. Connor

Connor Guest

Do you not accept that a foetus is still developing its brain in the womb? Does a foetus simply automatically have a brain which functions fully? Anyway, what do you think of terminating zygote cells? Which is what you are doing in very early pregnancy. Cells will never feel pain.

However, here is some general information on the foetus which proves its brain is not very advanced at all while in the womb: click here. That article even details that a newborn has a brain which has not yet fully developed. I don't generally occupy myself with finding information which proves that the foetus can't think or feel, but that article at least shows that the foetus's brain in the womb is far from what you could call a developed human brain.

Also (as the above post says) Wikipedia agrees. But if you need a more reliable source, perhaps my link is satisfying.

#17 Connor, Apr 14, 2008
  18. Alexander

dinnertime, brb :grin:

19. jroakwood

im liberal alll the way.
    pro-choice.

its her body, and if she doesnt want a baby in it...
    she shouldnt have to.
    nobody should be able to prevent a woman from doing what she wants with her body.

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is a hard one. I know my opinions have changed as I've aged. I used to be very pro-life and now I'm pro-choice. I still hate abortion. I wish people would not have to resort to abortions. I wish they would choose adoption. I just can't say that I should be the one making the decision for somebody else. Know what I mean? It is their situation. It is them who will be raising the child or giving it up for adoption. They know what is best for them. I don't. So therefore, I believe it should be legal. I just hope that people really really think about it before they choose this option.